Average number of people there are on ship booked excursions?

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:01 AM.
166 Posts
Joined Sep 2002
Hi, I'm wondering what the average number of people there are on ship booked excursions to Halifax or Saint John? I realize there will be variation depending on the excursion so I'm looking for general numbers. They are have a 30% off sale now so the prices are pretty good but I'm always concerned that there will be too many people.

Thanks
YVR & PDX
4,967 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
I just cannot imagine you being able to get remotely accurate data on this - barring cruiselines themselves deciding to release average ticket sales - so I would always assume that it will be a full coachload (usually ~53pax) or multiples thereof, per ship that's in port.

Unless you're good with that, book smaller group private tours who will generally confirm vehicle size - 30% off a crap excursion is still a crap excursion (and I assume number of folks with you IS a relevant 'crap factor' for you or you'd have just snapped up the bargain pricing without asking this question!!!)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Princess: Emerald, Golden x3, Island, Star x2
NCL: Gem, Pearl
HAL: Veendam
Edumacational kiddie cruises: SS Uganda
1,413 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
I think it really varies on the excursion.

We've only been to Halifax once and walked on our own (Citadel, Public Garden). I suspect most of the excursions to Peggy's Cove would be packed buses.

We've done Saint John twice. The first was a walking pub tour through Carnival with Moosehead. I think we had less than 20 people and it was a nice group. The second trip was a Kayak excursion with lobster lunch through Princess. We had 35-40 (I remember a facebook post listing around 18 couples). It was very well done and did not feel cramped. A little bit of a wait for the ladies room both at the beach and when we stopped at reversing rapids, but not bad.
South Florida (previously NYC, Washington DC, Israel, Cuba, Uruguay, & NJ)
3,895 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Typically ship tours are outrageously crowded and far more expensive than the same tour you can find on your own and book independently. Just do your research here on cruise critic port specific. You will see recommendations, etc. cross reference on Trip advisor. Or sometimes, you can get together with other cruisers from your ship via the roll call thread here on cruise critic. It is extremely rate I would ever book a ship tour. I've done over 40 cruises and always book privately or join in with roll call cruisers. I've never been left at port or even had any close calls. Just do your homework.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Linda

The world is not going to come to you. The sooner you realize this, the more time you'll have to pack. Get out there!

Upcoming Sailings

Carnival Horizon Miami inaugural 2 nighter - September 20
RCCL - Adventure OTS - Oct 8, 2018 Snowbird Migration
NCL Star - Transatlantic April 2019
AMA Dolce May 23, 2019 (Taste of Bordeaux)

Past Cruise History
RCI - Harmony; Enchantment 2X, Navigator 2X, Mariner; Grandeur, Jewels 2X, Majesty 6X, Allure 2X, Oasis 2X, Radiance, Liberty 6X, Independence 2X, Monarch, Serenade 2x, Legend, Adventure, Rhapsody, Brilliance
Celebrity - Reflection, Constellation, Infinity, Equinox
Carnival - Glory; Destiny; Celebration, Vista
Disney - Disney Dream
NCL - Escape, Breakaway
Amawaterways - Stella (Christmas Market) ; Prima (Enchanting Rhine)

Oceania Regatta

Other Travel History
North America (includes Central & Caribbean): United States (45 of 50 states plus DC & PR), Canada (5 Provinces), Mexico (21 of 31 states) plus Mexico City, Jamaica, Haiti, Cuba (work related), Costa Rica, Panama, Dominican Republic, Barbados, Dominica, Belize, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Martin, St. Kitts, Cayman
South America: Uruguay, Argentina, Brazil
Europe: Germany, Hungary, Czech Republic, France, Finland, Ireland, England, Scotland, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Vatacin City, Austria, Greece
Africa: South Africa
Asia: China, Hong Kong, Bangladesh, India, Israel, Japan, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, Philippines, Korea, VietNam
Australia: Queensland; New South Wales, Victoria