[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:46 AM.
Utica NY
308 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Hi

It's been several years since I cruised and several more since I used a computer on board.

I'm currently teaching an online college class and will need to access several web sites for class purposes on any given day.

In past years, I cruised when there was no conflict with classes. This year a great cruising opportunity came up and I would like to jump on it, but its in the middle of the semester.

I'm not an IT person, more Neanderthal, so I need things simple.

Any and all suggestions on how to solve my needed coverage would be appreciated.
United States
2,687 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
Check with the forum for your cruise line.

I cruise Royal Carib, and it is easy. You buy an internet package, log in, and away you go. If you purchase before, the card with log in information will be in your cabin.

No different than using your laptop in a hotel.
Bellingham, WA
399 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
I think almost all cruise lines now offer internet packages that can be used while onboard. Prices and plans vary from line to line and ship to ship. I was on Holland America last September and their "best" package based on per minute price on the Amsterdam was 1000 minutes for $250 (yeah, pricey). With HAL, you have to wait until you're onboard to purchase the package. Other lines do "per day" packages with various features.

Getting online is a piece of cake. You'll be given a network ID to "join" and a URL to use to go through the sign-up process, and once you're in, it's just like signing onto your wifi at home. Speed was decent, too.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

101,152 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
Please keep in mind that depending on where you are sailing and what ship/cruise line the speeds can vary and at times can be very slow and there might be times when the internet is down or way to slow to use.

Keith
19,001 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Originally posted by HERKIMER417
Hi

It's been several years since I cruised and several more since I used a computer on board.

I'm currently teaching an online college class and will need to access several web sites for class purposes on any given day.

In past years, I cruised when there was no conflict with classes. This year a great cruising opportunity came up and I would like to jump on it, but its in the middle of the semester.

Any and all suggestions on how to solve my needed coverage would be appreciated.
It all depends on what you need to do.

I am making an assumption that you are taking your own laptop. You should not use the ships PCs for school work because they are very unsecure.

The next issue is what sites do you have to visit? Something like Blackboard, Moodle, Angel, Canvas, etc? Do you have synchronous chat? Are you visiting publisher's web sites? E-mail should nto be an issue unless your school does something funny. If they do automatically forward all e-mail to something like g-mail and work from it. All of these make a difference.

You should not have any problem visiting your CMS, those work well. You are going to probably have to skip any synchronous chats. Most publisher's web sites work OK, on your own machine, but probably not on the PCs on teh ship because of the security and things you have to do like allowing pop ups, etc.

You can do it, but it is not like working from home, and you need to be aware of the limitations.
New Mexico
17 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
I work when cruising, and use LogMeIn to access my client's computers remotely. I also need to use a ship computer because I need to print. I can tell you about two experiences. In December 2017 we were on Celebrity Summit for 10 days. I paid $199 for 24/7 internet. That is 30% off the posted rate because of my loyalty level. I did all my work in the iLounge. There was a great tech there, with posted hours. He helped me with any issues I had. Yes satellite is slower than cable, but it was really not bad. The room itself is enclosed and you can sit where you have some privacy. There is no piped in music.

Fast forward to 7 days on HAL Nieuw Amsterdam Feb 10-17. I can hardly tell you how bad the internet was. First, they had no 24/7 plan at all. Second, the 500 minute plan was $275. That is slightly over 8 hours, and certainly cannot be considered if you have work to do. I had little work I needed to do, so simply bought 250 minutes for $100. Waste of money. Incredibly slow. I could not access my e-mail at Outlook.com on the two (!) public computers. Mind you, they have 24 computers in the Windows Digital workshop, but those are only used for the classes they offer, most to do with photos. Other than class time the room is locked. The two public computers are in the lobby across from the service desk with little privacy or work space. Music is on 24 hours a day. On the couple of times I actually connected to my e-mail, I would click to open one and face a blank screen until it timed out. I was not able to access Log Me In. Of the 250 minutes I bought, perhaps 50 were doing email on my tablet, and 200 were spent trying to be able to work on the public computer so I could print the reports I needed, which had been sent PDF in e-mail. I spoke to several people behind the desk (who are now the supposed "experts" that can offer help), the teacher of the digital workshops, and the Marketing Manager. They were all very nice and did nothing to help resolve my problems. They did offer to refund my money. Due to a situation at home, I did not want to get a refund so I could check e-mail on my tablet.

So my advice: stay away from HAL until they bump up their terrible technology, and cruise Celebrity.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruise history:

Dec 1991 to October 2017, 34 cruises, Favoring Celebrity.
Las Vegas
11,848 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by HERKIMER417
Hi

I just came back from an Azamara cruise. Internet speeds both on my cell phone and on their computers was pretty decent.

DON