MSC Seaside is (gasp!) European

DCGuy64

A topic that has been making the rounds recently on Cruise Critic is whether the MSC Seaside is truly an American ship or a European one. MSC made it clear from the beginning that this ship would mark a departure from the past, in the sense that a ship would be designed and built to sail from a US port instead of being "imported" from Europe to do duty this side of the Atlantic. A number of posters, both those who have already sailed on the Seaside, as well as those who have not, have expressed disappointment that the ship doesn't deliver what MSC promised it would. I have to say, if I had read the marketing and promotional material in a certain way, I'd be disappointed, too. (NB: I haven't been on the ship yet, either, as our sailing isn't for another 8 months) Articles such as this one MSC SEASIDE do give the impression that MSC is treating this vessel as more Americanized from the start. But note I said "more" American, not 100%. The article I referenced says things like "In a sign of MSC's seriousness about pushing into the North American market, Seaside will be christened in Miami — the first time an MSC ship has been christened in North America. It's also the first MSC ship with an English word in its name." It also says this:"Still, while international in flavor, Seaside's on-board offerings will have elements that will be familiar to North Americans such as a Pan-Asian restaurant by celebrity chef Roy Yamaguchi.

In all, Seaside will have 11 eateries, including such American-friendly venues as a steakhouse. Other features will include an Aqua Park with four water slides, a ropes course called Adventure Trail and two of the longest zip lines at sea (at 394 feet)." The two cruises I took in Europe on fellow Italian cruise line Costa did not have aqua parks and ziplines, nor did they have Miami-looking 'condo-type' cabins such as those aft on the Seaside.

So I don't think it's fair to say MSC "failed" to deliver on their promises. Furthermore, the article also has this to say about MSC keeping to its European roots, even with this ship: "In contrast to the U.S.-based brands sailing out of Florida to the Caribbean, Seaside will offer a more international experience, in keeping with the company's European roots and global customer base, (MSC Cruises executive director Pierfrancesco) Vago suggests. The company last year drew customers from 193 countries, he says."

So I think it's fair to say that MSC is doing exactly what they promised, that is, to offer an essentially European ship with European stylings, that is somewhat tailored to the expectations of its American customers. Keep in mind that a majority of people sailing on this ship are still non-Americans. It would not be fair to say that MSC promised that this ship was only built for Americans, but rather that it would be based in the US, yet offer a cruise experience largely influenced by its European heritage. Another good read on this ship is from this article http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/florida-cruise-guide/os-msc-seaside-review-20180112-story.html. The title of the article is 'MSC Seaside a MORE American approach for cruise line.' (emphasis mine)

I don't know how many cruisers have experienced something abroad that purported to be American and found something lacking. I've had 'authentic' Mexican food in Tokyo and 'American style steak' in London. Were these offerings precisely the same as at home? No, of course not, and I didn't expect them to be. They were an overseas restaurant's attempt to deliver something American. (Yes, I know Mexican food isn't American, per se, but in the US there is a large contingent of people of Mexican heritage) Or to take another example: have you ever cooked something in the microwave and there's a "serving suggestion" on the outside of the box, yet the finished product doesn't look quite the same? Well, that's how it is in marketing. A cruise line can say "we're going for a more American type of experience," but does that really mean it'll be 100% accurate? Probably not, and that's okay. If it even approximates some things Americans are used to, that's OK. Because at the heart of it all, MSC is still a European company that serves a predominantly European clientele, but they are branching out a bit and offering Americans a bit of a taste of home. And I'm looking forward to my cruise with them.

A topic that has been making the rounds recently on Cruise Critic is whether the MSC Seaside is truly an American ship or a European one. MSC made it clear from the beginning that this ship would mark a departure from the past, in the sense that a ship would be designed and built to sail from a US port instead of being "imported" from Europe to do duty this side of the Atlantic. A number of posters, both those who have already sailed on the Seaside, as well as those who have not, have expressed disappointment that the ship doesn't deliver what MSC promised it would. I have to say, if I had read the marketing and promotional material in a certain way, I'd be disappointed, too. (NB: I haven't been on the ship yet, either, as our sailing isn't for another 8 months) Articles such as this one MSC SEASIDE do give the impression that MSC is treating this vessel as more Americanized from the start. But note I said "more" American, not 100%. The article I referenced says things like "In a sign of MSC's seriousness about pushing into the North American market, Seaside will be christened in Miami — the first time an MSC ship has been christened in North America. It's also the first MSC ship with an English word in its name." It also says this:"Still, while international in flavor, Seaside's on-board offerings will have elements that will be familiar to North Americans such as a Pan-Asian restaurant by celebrity chef Roy Yamaguchi.

In all, Seaside will have 11 eateries, including such American-friendly venues as a steakhouse. Other features will include an Aqua Park with four water slides, a ropes course called Adventure Trail and two of the longest zip lines at sea (at 394 feet)." The two cruises I took in Europe on fellow Italian cruise line Costa did not have aqua parks and ziplines, nor did they have Miami-looking 'condo-type' cabins such as those aft on the Seaside.

So I don't think it's fair to say MSC "failed" to deliver on their promises. Furthermore, the article also has this to say about MSC keeping to its European roots, even with this ship: "In contrast to the U.S.-based brands sailing out of Florida to the Caribbean, Seaside will offer a more international experience, in keeping with the company's European roots and global customer base, (MSC Cruises executive director Pierfrancesco) Vago suggests. The company last year drew customers from 193 countries, he says."

So I think it's fair to say that MSC is doing exactly what they promised, that is, to offer an essentially European ship with European stylings, that is somewhat tailored to the expectations of its American customers. Keep in mind that a majority of people sailing on this ship are still non-Americans. It would not be fair to say that MSC promised that this ship was only built for Americans, but rather that it would be based in the US, yet offer a cruise experience largely influenced by its European heritage. Another good read on this ship is from this article http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/florida-cruise-guide/os-msc-seaside-review-20180112-story.html. The title of the article is 'MSC Seaside a MORE American approach for cruise line.' (emphasis mine)

I don't know how many cruisers have experienced something abroad that purported to be American and found something lacking. I've had 'authentic' Mexican food in Tokyo and 'American style steak' in London. Were these offerings precisely the same as at home? No, of course not, and I didn't expect them to be. They were an overseas restaurant's attempt to deliver something American. (Yes, I know Mexican food isn't American, per se, but in the US there is a large contingent of people of Mexican heritage) Or to take another example: have you ever cooked something in the microwave and there's a "serving suggestion" on the outside of the box, yet the finished product doesn't look quite the same? Well, that's how it is in marketing. A cruise line can say "we're going for a more American type of experience," but does that really mean it'll be 100% accurate? Probably not, and that's okay. If it even approximates some things Americans are used to, that's OK. Because at the heart of it all, MSC is still a European company that serves a predominantly European clientele, but they are branching out a bit and offering Americans a bit of a taste of home. And I'm looking forward to my cruise with them.

My only response is to say that I am not disappointed in what MSC is. I am now just aware and informed much better than before she arrived in Miami.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Very well put!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

DC ... Prior to Seaside being in Miami those who sailed MSC did so out of Fort Lauderdale, along with their European passengers some of whom may likely have cruised the other lines from Miami but not in the numbers now seen on Seaside.

What I have noticed is that the American executives who were responsible for over seeing Seaside appear to have fallen into the woodwork and the silence from them is deafening.

Neither of us like the US style of cooking bacon which compared to the UK is like buying it in a bag at home called crackling, does that put us off sailing MSC, no because there are plenty of other choices of food on the ship.

We are looking forward to our second cruise on the Seaside at the end of April.

Many people promoting Seaside in the US are doing so without proper background information and this is failing their clients many of whom have been upset with what they found on the ship. Only today this was highlighted on another thread when a so called member of the MSC team who claims to read these boards was telling people that their Voyagers Club level does not appear on their luggage tags.

From everything I've read and heard, MSC was promoting a more American-centric product but without giving up on their European flair and heritage. I think this is exactly what they deliver. If I want Carnival, NCL, or Royal Caribbean I will sail on those lines. I don't expect or want MSC to be a carbon copy them. What is the point of trying something different if they are all the same? What a yawn that would be. Variety is the spice of life. Instead of fighting it so hard, some people need to embrace it a bit more. Life would be so much easier.

If there is one thing I've found universal about cruise ship passengers after all these years, is that they love to complain. It doesn't matter what line you're own, you will hear the complainers and they will do their best to recruit sympathizers. What is also amusing is that nine times out of ten they will tell you their last cruise on line XYZ was better than the one they are on now. It's quite humorous actually but generally I run away as quickly as possible from these people.

Same as others, is exactly what drove us to choose Seaside for 2018 1st trip.

The other lines in Miami have their pluses too, just wanted a different experience and a different passenger mix.

Many are comparing different ships/lines like they should all be same/similar...vive la difference.

Cheers, enjoy your cruise!

The Divina sails out of Miami, not Ft Lauderdale.

And as far as "Americans" being disappointed that the Seaside is not like their usual USA entry level cruise line, it depends on the passenger.

The are USA passengers that do appreciated the MSC difference and would hate to see it lost to the more narrow experience expectations of some passengers.

DC ... Prior to Seaside being in Miami those who sailed MSC did so out of Fort Lauderdale, along with their European passengers some of whom may likely have cruised the other lines from Miami but not in the numbers now seen on Seaside.

What I have noticed is that the American executives who were responsible for over seeing Seaside appear to have fallen into the woodwork and the silence from them is deafening.

Neither of us like the US style of cooking bacon which compared to the UK is like buying it in a bag at home called crackling, does that put us off sailing MSC, no because there are plenty of other choices of food on the ship.

We are looking forward to our second cruise on the Seaside at the end of April.

Many people promoting Seaside in the US are doing so without proper background information and this is failing their clients many of whom have been upset with what they found on the ship. Only today this was highlighted on another thread when a so called member of the MSC team who claims to read these boards was telling people that their Voyagers Club level does not appear on their luggage tags.

Oh, to have proper rashers and bangers! Throw in some black and white puddings!

Homosassa ... Now you are showing what you know about MSC, we know where Divina sails from as we were on the First T.A to Miami onboard the ship, MSC sailed out of FLL for years hence the reference to it.

We know there are passengers from the US who like MSC, we have sailed with many of them, they are usually the ones who embrace MSC.

Jagr ... Black and White pudding ? Never heard of it, if you were meaning Black pudding then you can have it all! As for Sausage the ones on Seaside were fine.

MSC sailed out of FLL for years hence the reference to it.

My first MSC cruise was on the MSC OPERA, and yes it was out of Fort Lauderdale. MSC talked a lot about entering the North American market back then as well, so this talk is nothing new. Yes the hardware is upgraded but they have been trying to take a foothold for many years now. The difference now is they have more resources in place, dedicated North American sales, service, and marketing, and are sending their newest ships. We also have the new terminal and a private island being developed. I would say they are committed.

From everything I've read and heard, MSC was promoting a more American-centric product but without giving up on their European flair and heritage. I think this is exactly what they deliver. If I want Carnival, NCL, or Royal Caribbean I will sail on those lines. I don't expect or want MSC to be a carbon copy them. What is the point of trying something different if they are all the same? What a yawn that would be. Variety is the spice of life. Instead of fighting it so hard, some people need to embrace it a bit more. Life would be so much easier.

If there is one thing I've found universal about cruise ship passengers after all these years, is that they love to complain. It doesn't matter what line you're own, you will hear the complainers and they will do their best to recruit sympathizers. What is also amusing is that nine times out of ten they will tell you their last cruise on line XYZ was better than the one they are on now. It's quite humorous actually but generally I run away as quickly as possible from these people.

I agree with you 100%. I will say, in fairness, that I also want people to agree with me when I've had a bad time. Thing is, out of maybe 10 people who've sailed a particular ship and hated it, in my experience only 1 or 2 will admit that they hadn't done their homework and had unrealistic expectations. A good example is the fantastic and in-depth review by Jim Zim, aka Spaniel Lover. His detail and photos are amazing, and I also like his writing style a lot. But I found myself really feeling sorry for him, because he clearly went on the Seaside with an expectation of 100% American-style, meat-n-potatoes, English everywhere, American bathrooms, etc. 43 cruises and he hadn't figured out that MSC is still Italian. He hated the buffet but found the breakfast in the MDR much better, well then eat there instead of complaining about the buffet! SO MUCH of what goes into a successful vacation is having realistic expectations. I'm a huge fan of TV travel host Rick Steves because he embraces the "live like a local" mantra when traveling to Europe. That's my philosophy, too. I look forward to speaking French, Italian, German, Spanish, etc. with European travelers on a cruise ship. That's why MSC seems like a great fit to me.

Nicely said! I hope MSC doesn't lose it's heritage. If I wanted an experience like NCL, I would go on NCL. I want the MSC differences....I like the differences. It's the best of both worlds and not having to fly to Europe to experience it!

Nicely said! I hope MSC doesn't lose it's heritage. If I wanted an experience like NCL, I would go on NCL. I want the MSC differences....I like the differences. It's the best of both worlds and not having to fly to Europe to experience it!

Thank you for the compliment! I see you're also from CA, same as Jim Zim. Nice to see some Cali folks like the crunch of Italian pizza. :D

Homosassa ... Now you are showing what you know about MSC, we know where Divina sails from as we were on the First T.A to Miami onboard the ship, MSC sailed out of FLL for years hence the reference to it.

We know there are passengers from the US who like MSC, we have sailed with many of them, they are usually the ones who embrace MSC.

Jagr ... Black and White pudding ? Never heard of it, if you were meaning Black pudding then you can have it all! As for Sausage the ones on Seaside were fine.

You must not travel much in the isles! I was talking about puddings, not pudding. Popular in Scotland and Ireland, white pudding is oatmeal-based, similar in many ways to black pudding, but without the blood.

I agree with you 100%. I will say, in fairness, that I also want people to agree with me when I've had a bad time. Thing is, out of maybe 10 people who've sailed a particular ship and hated it, in my experience only 1 or 2 will admit that they hadn't done their homework and had unrealistic expectations. A good example is the fantastic and in-depth review by Jim Zim, aka Spaniel Lover. His detail and photos are amazing, and I also like his writing style a lot. But I found myself really feeling sorry for him, because he clearly went on the Seaside with an expectation of 100% American-style, meat-n-potatoes, English everywhere, American bathrooms, etc. 43 cruises and he hadn't figured out that MSC is still Italian. He hated the buffet but found the breakfast in the MDR much better, well then eat there instead of complaining about the buffet! SO MUCH of what goes into a successful vacation is having realistic expectations. I'm a huge fan of TV travel host Rick Steves because he embraces the "live like a local" mantra when traveling to Europe. That's my philosophy, too. I look forward to speaking French, Italian, German, Spanish, etc. with European travelers on a cruise ship. That's why MSC seems like a great fit to me.

Yes! I felt very sorry for the Spaniel Lover too. And kept saying to the computer "If you hated the buffet so much and had a better meal in the MDR, why did you keep going back to the buffet and not try more meals in the MDR?"

SURELY TO GOODNESS after so many cruises, he should figure it out by now that he could have ordered one of everything in the MDR to try his luck and if still nothing to his taste could have gone back to the buffet, but to repeatedly complain about food offerings with a perfectly viable potential solution was idiocy. I took his entire review with the grains of salt he so desperately craved!:):)

Sailed on the Divina out of Miami three years ago. Gorgeous ship, great entertainment. But an Italian ship ought to know the difference between fettuccini and spaghetti. Ordered the former off the menu, got the latter. Service in MDR was lackadaisical and food in buffet below standard. Hits and misses.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes! I felt very sorry for the Spaniel Lover too. And kept saying to the computer "If you hated the buffet so much and had a better meal in the MDR, why did you keep going back to the buffet and not try more meals in the MDR?"

SURELY TO GOODNESS after so many cruises, he should figure it out by now that he could have ordered one of everything in the MDR to try his luck and if still nothing to his taste could have gone back to the buffet, but to repeatedly complain about food offerings with a perfectly viable potential solution was idiocy. I took his entire review with the grains of salt he so desperately craved!:):)

Your post made me laugh, especially the last sentence, well played! :D I did think it was sweet, though, that he mentioned he and his wife do everything together, at the same time. :hearteyes: Not me and my wife, I'm an early riser and she isn't. One of my favorite things to do is slip out early for my morning cappuccino while she's still dozing. We definitely *don't* have to be together 24/7. Like you, I also found myself wondering things aloud, e.g. I'm used to regular announcements by the captain about position and weather, including being piped into cabins. Yet in the same review, our friend Jim complains about an issue (I think it had to do with embarkation or an excursion issue) NOT being announced. OK, well which is it, do you want to hear the announcements or don't you?

His need to get dressed in the walk-in wardrobe at the same time as the wife was enough for me to puzzle at that particular mindset.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

John ... I had never heard of them until you mentioned them ... :)

Ah, Dave ... I cannot believe you've never heard of black pudding - it's serious business in some parts of England (IINM, it's most popular in the north).

We need a "pudding-gate" thread before this one is totally derailed.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app