Sea sickness

Elizabetho55

We are booked in cabin 3096 which is on the very back of the ship. We will be sailing from Bergen on the Norwegian Sea to the Arctic Circle then onto the the North Sea to Scotland and England. I am concerned that being aft will contribute to sea sickness. We’ve never sailed on Viking ocean ships and I was wondering if anyone has had a cabin aft and what their experience was as far as rocking and rolling. I hate the thought of having to wear a sea sickness patch.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1050846

Take a look at this old thread. If you Google "does an aft cabin contribute to seasickness" you'll come up with lots of other CC threads that may be helpful to you. I discovered on our very first cruise that I was prone to seasickness, much to my shock. It's such a weird illness. My husband isn't the least bit affected, and now years and many cruises later, neither am I. Go figure. Anyway--why don't you just use Bonine if you don't like the idea of a patch? That works just fine for me and I used to be one of those worst case scenarios when it came to getting seasick.

We always book aft cabins if we can help it and the few times that we haven't, I can't say that I noticed any difference in how the ship location helped me feel as long as I took the Bonine. This is even though it's commonly repeated that "low and middle" are the best cabins for those who suffer. We love aft cabins! So relaxing and beautiful looking at the wake. On Viking, we never were troubled by excess vibrations or anything like that in the aft. Your cabin is in a wonderful position--enjoy it and your cruise.

My last cruise was many many years ago. I did get seasick the first day at sea. I think I took Bonine and I was pretty woozy. Is there anything else to use that doesn’t make people quite so drowsy?

She Who Must Be Obeyed has severe motion sickness issues - she can get symptoms if she looks down while a passenger in a car backing up.

That being said, years ago the TV show Myth Busters did a test of all seasick remedies by spinning people in a motorized office chair while moving their heads forward, backward, and side to side to touch tennis balls while spinning. :eek: Each test subject was timed until they hurled. Each remedy was tried.

Ginger capsules won hands down. Not ginger ale or ginger candy, but powdered ginger root in capsules.

35+ cruises and she has never been seasick yet, and we've had some interesting transatlantic cruises.

Mid ships and low is the best for the least movement. Very front has most movement if going into rough seas. If seas are from the side, it does not matter where you are. Rear is not bad - unless you are someone that notices the smallest little vibration and that causes problems. (engines).

As to a remedy, you will find so many conflicting statements. Just because something works for one person does not mean it works for others.

Yes, there are less drowsy meds - and the generics at the store have the same ingredients - read the package.

I have also done pills each night, but recently switched to ginger pills. Have been working great.

Mid ships and low is the best for the least movement. Very front has most movement if going into rough seas. If seas are from the side, it does not matter where you are. Rear is not bad - unless you are someone that notices the smallest little vibration and that causes problems. (engines).

As to a remedy, you will find so many conflicting statements. Just because something works for one person does not mean it works for others.

Yes, there are less drowsy meds - and the generics at the store have the same ingredients - read the package.

I have also done pills each night, but recently switched to ginger pills. Have been working great.

On our first cruise (the Mediterranean), I came prepared with pills but didn't take any and was fine. Our next cruise includes a sea day in the North Sea, and again I want to be prepared. Do you take the ginger pills in advance of feeling sick?

We are aft on Deck 4 in the Caribbean, and have experienced some pitching and rolling. First time on Viking, and first time I’ve ever had to take Dramamine. Fortunately it was night time, so helped me sleep. Have felt a little queasy a couple of times, but passed after eating.

On our first cruise (the Mediterranean), I came prepared with pills but didn't take any and was fine. Our next cruise includes a sea day in the North Sea, and again I want to be prepared. Do you take the ginger pills in advance of feeling sick?

She Who Must Be Obeyed takes one capsule every day prophylactically for regular travel-related motion sickness, and ups it to a capsule twice a day a week before and during the cruise.

She did her own research on the benefits of ginger, experimented with the dosage, and decided what worked the best for her.

We were once on a cruise that encountered a hurricane. It rapidly changed paths during the night so we had to ride out some high swells (which we love). We take meclizine daily whether we need it or not. So, those that don't take something until the time is there suffered during the night and the entire day. It takes awhile to play catch up. Those of us that stay up on it daily enjoyed our day.

I have had a little queasiness at times in the past so I was looking for remedies. Tried the drowsy meds which is really a problem since I get sleepy on ocean cruises anyway (like a big bassinet). I tried the bracelet that uses a pressure point - it just was painful to me and didn't help nausea. I thank cruise critic for the suggestion of ginger root powder capsules! We have used them for years now. We try to start at least one day in advance of the cruise, we also continue for our first day on land again if we have enough capsules. We take 2 capsules with breakfast, lunch, and dinner. We have not had one problem since starting this protocol. I think that our "around the horn" South America cruise would have been a problem without the ginger as the seas get pretty rough near the south part of the trip. We will most definitely be using ginger root on our "midnight sun" cruise next July. Actually just bought a bottle for our Caribbean cruise coming up in 2 weeks. I use one that is just ginger and vegetarian capsule - no other ingredients, Solar Ray, I think. This time I bought the organic version.

I hope that this helps someone as much as it helped us! :D

Note, we did not use ginger on river cruisers and did not have any problems.

We are booked in cabin 3096 which is on the very back of the ship. We will be sailing from Bergen on the Norwegian Sea to the Arctic Circle then onto the the North Sea to Scotland and England. I am concerned that being aft will contribute to sea sickness. We’ve never sailed on Viking ocean ships and I was wondering if anyone has had a cabin aft and what their experience was as far as rocking and rolling. I hate the thought of having to wear a sea sickness patch.

Thank you!

Thank you so much to everyone for the wonderful advice. I will definitely get the ginger and bring Bonine as a backup.

P.S. Ginger tea is great for colds as well! Happy sailing!

My last cruise was many many years ago. I did get seasick the first day at sea. I think I took Bonine and I was pretty woozy. Is there anything else to use that doesn’t make people quite so drowsy?

We use Meclizine (Bonine).. For us works better than Dramamine without the side effects. We buy the generic brand at Walmart but the Front Office and Neptune Lounge both have free Meclizine available.

We bring some along and take one in the morning before we board if the seas look to be rough, Also works after the cruise if you lose your "land legs".

Another option is Motioneaze sold online and at Walmart and probably other drug stores. It’s a combination of essential oils. You dab it behind your ears. When I use it I can look at the swells and never feel any motion.

Thank you so much to everyone for the wonderful advice. I will definitely get the ginger and bring Bonine as a backup.

Add green apples to the list. They're readily available on Viking. Years ago a kind cabin steward got some for me and I ate them just to be polite but I'll be darned, they worked wonders. About the ginger--you can get ginger chews as well to keep in your pocket or purse. They're useful and tasty.

I have motion sickness issues but it doesn't stop me from cruising. Personally, I dislike using bovine, dramamine, etc. All those things just make me feel a bit drowsy. Not much experience with taking ginger. I also have Menière's and so am used to frequent lightheadedness / dizziness issues. I have had great success by using the essential oil compound called "Divertigo", and also use wrist (sea) bands. Between the two, I haven't had to use medications on any cruises over the past few years, and that includes crossing the Drake Passage on the way to Antarctica.

Crew member also told us about green apples and no dairy and it worked for us. Recent rough North Atlantic cruise there were trays of green apples all over the ship

Cabin location varies by ship, person and storm. My experience is the rear cabins are better in bad storms and because of vibration and sometimes higher temperatures not as good in mild seas. Forward high cabins technically have the most movement, however I was told by an officer that in moderate storms with horizontal stabilizers deployed, vertical motion is minimal in the foward 1/3. The lower mid selection is not always the best since some people are affected by visual perception as much as the actual motion, On the lower decks the seas appear to look worse then on an upper deck and the horizon shows more motion (my opinion).

If you see throw up bags stacked near the elevators and green apples all over the place rest assured your cabin is no better then any other.

Crew member also told us about green apples and no dairy and it worked for us. Recent rough North Atlantic cruise there were trays of green apples all over the ship

Cabin location varies by ship, person and storm. My experience is the rear cabins are better in bad storms and because of vibration and sometimes higher temperatures not as good in mild seas. Forward high cabins technically have the most movement, however I was told by an officer that in moderate storms with horizontal stabilizers deployed, vertical motion is minimal in the foward 1/3. The lower mid selection is not always the best since some people are affected by visual perception as much as the actual motion, On the lower decks the seas appear to look worse then on an upper deck and the horizon shows more motion (my opinion).

If you see throw up bags stacked near the elevators and green apples all over the place rest assured your cabin is no better then any other.

Not sure this statement is entirely accurate. We were on one cruise where there was significant motion. The day it was the worst, we were in the ship's theatre watching a show - and the curtains were actually swinging back and forth. (Not to deviate from the point I'm trying to make - but have to add that the show was a guy on a unicycle juggling knives...I mean, seriously? Talk about good balance!) After the show, however, we went back to our mid-ship room on (I think) Deck 8 and hardly felt any motion whatsoever. I have always experienced more motion in the theatre (either forward or aft) than in my room. Also, as to visual perception in a mid-ship cabin, I presume you're referring to motion induced by roll as opposed to pitch? Either way, the center point (fulcrum) of the ship will always experience the least amount of motion generated by pitch. Not certain about roll. Hopefully the stabilizing systems will take care of most of that.

Edited by three4rd

Not sure this statement is entirely accurate........pitch. Not certain about roll. that.

Theoretically the center of gravity (fulcrum) has the least physical displacement, however the ship is not a solid mass. ballast and other structural elements smooth out the ride (similar to sway bars and shocks on a car). To me the theater most always seems the worst part of the ship. We were on the most forward cabin on deck 8 and the theater on deck 4 felt worse. Could be the swaying curtains exaggerated the motion. Another time we were seated in a perimeter lobby area DW felt sick so we moved a few seats away where she couldn't see out (roll) and felt better.

Real points are...... seasickness is complicated and besides amount and type of motion, perception plays a big part.

Cabin selection based on mid ship alone (my opinion) doesn't always guarantee least chance of being sick,

Real points are...... seasickness is complicated and besides amount and type of motion, perception plays a big part.

Cabin selection based on mid ship alone (my opinion) doesn't always guarantee least chance of being sick,

So true. We had a very smooth first cruise in the Mediterranean last spring, and I did not experience seasickness in the usual sense of the word. However, there were times when I had to be careful to stare out at the horizon, and not down at the moving ripples in the water right by the ship.

I still highly recommend trying the wrist bands and the essential oils product, "Divertigo". I haven't found any of those "non-drowsy" formulas to truly live up to their name.

Do you need to carry all of these over-the-counter meds in your carry on, in a ziplock bag? Or can these items and other common over the counter meds/supplements just go in your regular checked-in baggage?

Nan,

There is no restriction against putting your meds in either checked or carryon. The reason it is recommended that you put your meds in carryon is that your checked bags may not make it to your destination. I have had my luggage lost several times. Going to Russia, my luggage did not make it for three days.