Formal night in the Bella buffet?

tallnthensome

I'm booked Bella with my two girls. With the chances of being placed in the buffet area for dinner I wonder if it's even worth bothering to bring a suit. I know they have tablecloths and such but the thought of getting dressed up only to be seated there doesn't dazzle me as it won't be the same. Anyone that was placed in the buffet area have any input on what it was like on formal nights? Was it still dressy or did a lot of folks say forget the suit and tie in here?

You sit at a dining room table with normal chairs, table cloth, they even give you knives and forks so you don't have to eat with your fingers.

Seriously, they set up a portion of the buffet area the same as the main dining room with waiters. It looked like a any banquet dining room I have seen.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Forums mobile app

I'm more curious about the formal night attire in there. Non-formal nights aren't too much of a worry. Were there people in evening gowns and suits or did people blow off the formality because of the setting?

Hello tallnthensome!

As someone linked my review, we just came back from our cruise and were assigned to Market Place for dinners. We loved the experience and have nothing to complain about.

With regards to clothing on the formal / elegant nights, we did dress up and so did many others, but there were also people in jeans and t-shirts there. If you don’t want to dress up, you don’t have to.

All the reviews I have read have said that the marketplace MDR is one of the best available, in terms of atmosphere, table spacing and noise. Everything else is the same - food, service, drinks and DRESSCODE. In my opinion, going in with the attitude 'eating in the buffet' is purposely setting yourself up for disappointment and stress.

All the reviews I have read have said that the marketplace MDR is one of the best available, in terms of atmosphere, table spacing and noise. Everything else is the same - food, service, drinks and DRESSCODE. In my opinion, going in with the attitude 'eating in the buffet' is purposely setting yourself up for disappointment and stress.

Have you seen photos; and you think the buffet has the best atmosphere?

Why aren't those in the MDR trying to get to the Marketplace for dinner than?

It is eating in the buffet. Plain and simple. It is not ornately decorated. It is not carpeted. Your surroundings are going to be closed down food serving stations. I'll concede that if you are there before sunset you may have better sea views depending on your location but any way you look at it this is a lower caliber setting.

Have you seen photos; and you think the buffet has the best atmosphere?

Why aren't those in the MDR trying to get to the Marketplace for dinner than?

It is eating in the buffet. Plain and simple. It is not ornately decorated. It is not carpeted. Your surroundings are going to be closed down food serving stations. I'll concede that if you are there before sunset you may have better sea views depending on your location but any way you look at it this is a lower caliber setting.

Hi LMaxwell,

People have different tastes and especially prejudices if they haven’t experienced something.

I didn’t experience the other MDRs other than taking a look inside when walking by, but we enjoyed our dinners in the Market Place.

Market Place is nicely decorated for dinners with white table cloths, flowers/decoration and candles on the tables. The rooms are nice with paintings on the walls and nice wine cabinets etc. - definately you’re not seated next to a closed down food serving station! :') Yes it is not carpeted, but I don’t expect my dining rooms to be - then again we’re European.

I don’t know which MDR has the best atmosphere, but we definitely enjoyed ours. No need to paint the negative picture for those potentially going to dine in there.

Not dressing formally to sit in a section of the buffet. Not what I had bargained for.

Technically the buffet on the 8th deck is completely closed during that time.

I didn't eat there as I was in the Seashore dining room, but in looking through the window at those who were, it looked much nicer and more intimate than the larger MDRs. The lighting was more subdued, you had a better view to the outside and there were far fewer people.

The formal nights also weren't really that much more formal than the regular nights. The tablecloths and napkins were white instead of cream and you saw a few more guys in jackets. Didn't really see many tuxedos or ball gowns. It seems like MSC doesn't really make a big deal of it compared to other cruise lines since most people dress quite nicely for dinner regardless of the night.

Looking on the positive side, NOT having as much expectation to dress up for formal night AND still getting the MDR menu is awesome. Sign me up for the Marketplace!

Its the same expectation. They do a surprisingly good job of making the space really elegant for dinner.

On our cruise on the formal nights, most men wore suits and many in tuxes. Women mostly in evening gowns or cocktail dresses. On the non-formal nights, button down shirts and sun dresses. Including the children in the dining room.

Safe sailing

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

...... When seated Bella in the deck 8 buffet area for formal night because that's what we are talking about here? Not the main dining rooms .......

...... When seated Bella in the deck 8 buffet area for formal night because that's what we are talking about here? Not the main dining rooms .......

Formal night (called Elegant Night on MSC) is still a thing regardless of where you are seated.

That said. There is a wide range as to what people call "formal". Some guys like their tuxedos and some just stick with a nicer button down shirt.

My wife and I were blindsided by the fact that there were two formal nights on MSC Seaside (Monday and Thursday) and missed the memo on Monday. I wore a pair of chinos and a dark button down shirt and she had a nicer floral dress on and neither of us felt out of place.

The next formal night I wore the same chinos and my sport coat. She had a simple black cocktail dress. Was a good balance of looking appropriate without having to worry about packing clothing that is a bit higher maintenance.

No need to paint the negative picture for those potentially going to dine in there.

I'm going to be potentially dining there. Do you have photos of the area at night? Did they do the same staff parades in there; was service better because of the smaller area?

Did you eat there on non-formal evenings as well and were the tables dressed?

I'm going to be potentially dining there. Do you have photos of the area at night? Did they do the same staff parades in there; was service better because of the smaller area?

I specifically went to check it out after hearing all of the people complaining (who weren't even booked for Seaside) and I wish I had pictures. However it would have been awkward taking pictures through the windows of people eating.

Trust me. Its still very nice in there. The lights are dimmed, the tables are really nice and everyone is dressed up. It is a smaller more intimate setting and I personally found it nicer and more modern looking than the Seashore MDR. It is still the same menu and same level of table service.

I don't remember a staff parade in the MDR. However I was sitting along one of the far walls.

I’m sorry but I don’t have proper photos of the area, only of ourselves and some of the food. I’m not familiar with the staff parade, but I didn’t notice anything other than the staff welcoming you to the dining room by the entrance. That was nice though.

I felt the service was very good and personal: our server Rory always asked how our day had been and we had small chats. He didn’t feel busy and suggested some food items for us each day. Drinks and food always came quickly and efficiently and we never had to wait for either for a long time.

Obviously I can’t compare how the service was as compared to other MDRs.

We ate there at 6pm each night other than St. Thomas night as we boarded the ship at around 6pm. The tables were always dressed, but they added some decoration (golden layer of table cloth) on Elegant nights, and perhaps some decoration on the table too (can’t remember for sure).

As others have said, we felt the Market Place was really intimate for the dinner as it was sectioned into smaller dining rooms. We had less than 10 tables in our room, some of which were empty at times as people apparently ate in the buffet those nights.

Hope this helps.

Yes, thank you for your description and details. It does help to paint a picture for me. For an area with 10 tables, and some may be empty, I don't know, doesn't really give me a great feeling. I feel mislead by the MSC rep that sold me the cruise. Maybe I'll feel differently onboard, but my impression currently is that I booked 3rd class on this ship. If the area were somehow superior to the main dining rooms others would be trying to get in. There are staff parades on Italian Night and at least one of the formal nights, IIRC. I guess the fact that 90% of the staff are NOT there precludes these events.

Maybe our sailing won't be that full and we won't have to go there, or maybe we do go there and find the smaller setting lends itself to really great service. I'll have to see. But the current arrangement is definitely not my preference and I'm not going to play dress up for it.