River Cruise on The Danube which includes a trip to Salzburg

Joanne Pearce

With regard to companies, I would recommend reading the stickies at the top of this page. They are very helpful. I have personally sailed on both Uniworld, and Avalon, and prefer Uniworld.

We visited Salzburg when we did our Danube cruise on Avalon, but we did it on our own. Personally, I feel Salzburg "deserves" more time than a shore excursion can offer. It is a short 2 hour train ride from Munich and Vienna, and made for a nice pre-cruise 2 night visit, for us. Our particular cruise did not include an excursion to Salzburg, but I have seen many which do. We had planned on an Amawaterways cruise this spring, and it did.

Robin

Hi,

a group of 3 couples are looking for a cruise in 2019 on the Danube for 7-10 days which includes a trip to Salzburg.

Could anyone recommend itineraries or River Cruise companies?

None of us have done a river cruise before.

Thanks

I love Amawaterways. Have been on them twice. I think our itinerary was "The Romantic Danube" and it did include an all-day option for Salzburg on the day we docked in Linz.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Our April 2016 Danube cruise (Uniworld) did include the option of a Salzburg visit. It was a 2-hour bus ride, each way, from our stop in Linz. This was included (not an extra charge).

We did not do it, because (like Robin) we preferred to visit Salzburg on our own, and we did so after the cruise finished.

We are quite happy with Uniworld but there are a lot of lines on this route.

We obviously love Uniworld given our history, but chose to do Salzburg on our own the last time around since we wanted to spend more time there. Our next cruise includes a tour to Salzburg when we dock in Linz, but I'm leaning toward skipping it since we spent a fair amount of time there last time around, and it's a pretty lengthy bus ride from/to Linz.