Svalbard---does the month make a difference?

GeneBK

We are excited to book a Svalbard cruise on the Silver Cloud. We are especially eager to see polar bears.

Looking at the 2018 and 2019 schedules, we see cruises as early as June, as late as September, with July and August possibles as well.

Are there any considerations concerning the month chosen? Ice problems, snow, polar bear habits, weather, etc?

We have taken several Antarctica/South Georgia cruises, and there are certainly differences between December and February....snow, chicks, etc. Is the same true in Svalbard?

Thanks!

The ice clears out later in the season, so your chances of getting further north actually increase in August, IIRC. We went in early August and almost got all the way around, but the ice foiled us at the last minute. You can check out some historical ice maps at http://polarview.met.no/ if you are interested in seeing what's happened in past years. The combination of the circumpolar current, and the Gulf Stream, keep Longyearbyen ice-free most of the year but the ice tends to pile up on the north and east parts of the archipelago. Note that this is a generalization, and each year can be different.

I can't comment on weather trends but my guess is that it's pretty unpredictable. We had sun, snow, wind, and cold all mixed up for the week we were there. Svalbard is far enough north that you get 24h daylight whether it's June or August. In Longyearbyen, for example, the sun rises in late April and doesn't set again until late August.

The endless twilight in Oslo was wonderful in early August, BTW. It seemed to last forever. We were out and about in the parks until nearly 11PM.

Enjoy this trip, whenever you decide to take it. We loved our trip. I did a bit of a day-by-day blog back then (link is buried deep in my signature), and I have some pictures posted here:

We have been in both June and August. The ice was definitely heavier in June, and we did not go nearly as far around as had been planned. Weather was otherwise about the same. We were there for summer solstice which was really special, but it didn't really get dark in August either. Saw about the same amount of animals--not many bears, but lots of birds. Saw a cute arctic fox each time.

Tony,, and JP/Chris,

Thanks for the replies! Helpful.

As I mentioned, polar bear sightings are high on our priority list. Obviously, there are no guarantees and one year's experience doesn't necessarily indicate a lot about the next. However, that said, do you think that greater territory available north and east later in the season increases the chances of sightings? JP and Chris---I enjoyed your pictures and noticed polar bear sightings both on land and on ice. I'm wondering if these would be just as likely in June.

Thanks again, Gene

We have been in both June and August. The ice was definitely heavier in June, and we did not go nearly as far around as had been planned. Weather was otherwise about the same. We were there for summer solstice which was really special, but it didn't really get dark in August either. Saw about the same amount of animals--not many bears, but lots of birds. Saw a cute arctic fox each time.

Sorry I didn't include you in my recent reply; yours must have come in while I was typing mine.

You say "not many bears"....any at all? We know its different every time, but we want to know what the realities have been for others.

Thanks!!

Bears are hit or miss. I don't know enough to say whether the time makes a huge difference. We had two major sightings and some minor ones.

Remember, the bears are solitary, or in small groups (mom and cub/cubs). They do not congregate. The overall density is low. So it's not like you can go reliably find a pack of them in a particular spot on a regular basis.

We had the great sighting that was both on land and in the water, near Smeerensburg I think. We got into zodiacs to get closer. It was amazing. Then the more distant sighting from the boat, near Hinlopen Strait. That really required a telephoto lens. There was one in the distance on Kvitoya which prevented us from landing. Each sighting was very different.

And the day of scenic ice cruising was supposedly our best chance, and we didn't see anything at all!

So, odds are good. But unpredictable. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Sorry I didn't include you in my recent reply; yours must have come in while I was typing mine.

You say "not many bears"....any at all? We know its different every time, but we want to know what the realities have been for others.

Thanks!!

We had a couple of really good sightings each trip, and a couple that were way off and you needed really good binoculars for. I guess I was disappointed the first trip because the bears are few and far between (4 total sightings on a 2 week voyage). Second time, I had realistic expectations. It is not like going on safari in South Africa where you are pretty much guaranteed to see big game every day.

Edited by RachelG
additional info

Judging by recent reports and accounts from two sets of friends who went to Svalbard last year, polar bear sightings are getting increasingly rare. It has a lot to do with the lack of ice and also something to do with the numbers of cruise ships. I think sightings are guaranteed in Churchill, Canada, and also at Siberian Wrangel island which Silversea visit from Alaska.

I think sightings are guaranteed in Churchill, Canada, and also at Siberian Wrangel island which Silversea visit from Alaska.
Churchill, maybe. Wrangell, highly unlikely although you’ll find plenty of Black Bears, along with the occasional grizzly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk