Elusive Coffee Culture in Viking Sea Restaurant

harryw

We are finishing our first Viking Ocean cruise, and were a

bit taken aback by the coffee culture in The Restsurant.

This was the first time in 20 years of cruising that, after our main course at dinner, we weren’t asked by the server if we would like coffee, tea, etc. Maybe this is Scandinavian style, but, culture shock and caffeine withdrawal for me.

This was the first time in 20 years of cruising that, after our main course at dinner, we weren’t asked by the server if we would like coffee, tea, etc. Maybe this is Scandinavian style, but, culture shock and caffeine withdrawal for me.

mmm... did you have coffee cups on the table. Here in the hearland of MN we start drinking coffee at the beginning of of the meal till the end, and beyond!

I cannot wait to experience these interesting trends when I arrive on board on March 27! Maybe they want you to go to the bar or some other place for after dinner coffee. I have never eaten in a MDR that is an" anytime dining" . I have always had set dining time and prefer late seating....

Thanks for the heads up.

I noticed that too. Not only in The Restaurant, but also in the Chef's Table and Manfredi's. We've been on Viking for three seasons now since they began, and we've never had a waiter ask if we've wanted coffee after dining. We're not bothered to tell you the truth, but I do find it peculiar.

On some Cruise Critic 'luxury' cruise line boards, people say that the mark of a true luxury line is never having to ask for anything because the service is so good they read your mind. That has not been my experience, even on Crystal. It definitely pays to speak up. Then you can judge the quality of the service by how they respond.

The last time I got coffee in the MDR was at breakfast in June, 2016. IMHO, it was the worst coffee on the ship (bitter and watery) and I finally figured out to go to the Living Room Bar before heading into breakfast in the MDR. On subsequent cruises, we switched to breakfast in the World Cafe where there is a dispense-it-yourself machine that is, again imho, much better than what was served in the MDR (but still not as good as what you get from the espresso machines in the bars). Of course, everyone's taste in coffee is different, so your mileage may differ --and they may have changed the coffee machines in the MDR since last I ordered coffee there. .

We are consistently asked if we’d like coffee or an after dinner drink in the MDR and chef table and Manfredi ‘s. But if not I would ask.....”no “ does not seem to be in their vocabulary.

We are consistently asked if we’d like coffee or an after dinner drink in the MDR and chef table and Manfredi ‘s. But if not I would ask.....”no “ does not seem to be in their vocabulary.

I would agree with deec. i always had my espresso after dinner and the only question they had what kind of coffee I'd like but I won't loose my crown if I need to ask.

Edited by vnb2003
correction

mmm... did you have coffee cups on the table. Here in the hearland of MN we start drinking coffee at the beginning of of the meal till the end, and beyond!

I cannot wait to experience these interesting trends when I arrive on board on March 27! Maybe they want you to go to the bar or some other place for after dinner coffee. I have never eaten in a MDR that is an" anytime dining" . I have always had set dining time and prefer late seating....

Thanks for the heads up.

Not sure if the server missed , it but you can always ask for a cup before, during and after a meal .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums