Prepay grats from Canada

lisakoivu

How many people had effortless experience with pre-paying DSC?

How many people found that NCL messed it up when you prepaid? (This is what I seem to read most often on the boards)

Please share your experience. I've probably been on 10 NCL cruises. Have never prepaid before, but considering it.

And....go...!

Edited by lisakoivu

I'm from Canada and always prepay. About to head on my third NCL cruise, and I paid my gratuities a couple weeks ago. No hassle. On your edocs it shows that the gratuities are prepaid. Never had an issue.

Agreed. We too are from Canada, this will be our 10th NCL cruise. We prepay either through our TA or online via edocs. I print a copy of the confirmation showing they are paid just in case there is a mixup onboard, but never had to use it.

Definitely simplifies the onboard account.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We usually prepay, however this time we probably won't. When you buy the cruise in Canadian dollars, the exchange rate is locked in. Our is about 35% I think. Since the exchange is so much lower now, I'll just pay in US funds on board. It's not a lot in savings, but it's always better in my pocket that theirs :)

We usually prepay, however this time we probably won't. When you buy the cruise in Canadian dollars, the exchange rate is locked in. Our is about 35% I think. Since the exchange is so much lower now, I'll just pay in US funds on board. It's not a lot in savings, but it's always better in my pocket that theirs :)

Good point. Sometimes the exchange rate benefits us, sometimes it does not.

I'm not from Canada, so obviously can't speak for any specific issues relating to Canada, and usually don't bother reading threads that are specific to different countries.

However, I have prepared the DSC on every cruise for over 5 years now, with no problem. I don't recall ever reading of anyone else having had problems when doing so.

As I say, if those comments were all in Canada specific threads then I would probably miss them, but I wasn't aware of this being a problem. I don't see why they would have problems with one specific country though.

Agreed. They use the same garbage rate for shore excursions as well. I understand rates fluctuate, but ~10% above market currency is just silly.

I think it depends on the rate they were offering when you booked. I just calculated the exchange rate for our next cruise which was booked about 6 months ago, and it’s 74.5 cents. Not bad, but I believe the loonie is around 80 cents right now. I’ll be checking out the bank rate before I prepay this time.

I've been on both ends of the NCL exchange rate. One cruise a few years ago, their rate was inexplicably low, so I prepurchased onboard credit and made a few bucks. This year it had swung around, and I didn't really pay attention, so we lost a bit, vs bank rates....moral of story...just pay attention...

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Forums mobile app

I prepaid my DSC before the Canadian dollar started to rise. We normally prepay so we don't have worry about it during the cruise. I am waiting to book shore excursions and the dining package until we are onboard because the NCL rate is worse then the current rate.