Life jackets needed for Muster Drill?

phabric

I will be on the Sapphire doing the Norwegian Fjords in July.

On some of the other cruise line, no life jackets are needed for the Muster Drill.

I can not remember if we need to bring the life jackets to the Muster Drill?

January 14th., 2018 , Emerald Princess ex San Antonio had to drag life jacket along to muster.

Sadly many passengers whose first language was neither English nor Spanish, talked throughout the explanations in both English and Spanish.

Even more sadly. crew did not ask them to be quiet.

My 'Shush !!!!!!!' didn't seem to do the job either .

Just recently learned that Princess stopped the policy of carrying your life jackets to the Muster Drill in early January. Best to wait until you board to be sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We did not know this on our January cruise. We were the only ones to show up with our life jackets. Not sure how we missed that they were not necessary but we did.

We did not know this on our January cruise. We were the only ones to show up with our life jackets. Not sure how we missed that they were not necessary but we did.

The CD or some representative usually announces what the requirements are prior to the drill, you may have already started to party [emoji16] and missed that part.

Weren’t there many passengers walking the halls with you on the way to your muster station? The fact that none of them had them with them would have made me rethink or ask someone. :confused:

The CD or some representative usually announces what the requirements are prior to the drill, you may have already started to party [emoji16] and missed that part.

We just asked our room steward as we had heard so many different reports on this.

Your life jacket may be your best friend someday!! My advice to all of you is learn how to put it on correctly.

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

I don't think they were required on the Titanic either?

What could possibly go wrong?

Howard

I will be on the Sapphire doing the Norwegian Fjords in July.

On some of the other cruise line, no life jackets are needed for the Muster Drill.

I can not remember if we need to bring the life jackets to the Muster Drill?

No longer need to bring your life jacket to the Mustard Drill.

And if you go over the side in Norway, you’ll probably die of hypothermia anyway.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

I was on the Celebrity Silhouette in January. I was told by a crew member, on one cruise a passenger had refused to go to the Muster Drill and was asked to leave the ship before it had started as the Muster Drill is compulsory to attend.

silly people blowing the whistle ( don't want to think where it could have been ).

Yeah I always think the same thing when I see/hear people blowing the whistles.

I also wonder with how many people play with the jackets, whether the battery that powers the automatic-when-in-water light is flat on numerous jackets.

I was on the Celebrity Silhouette in January. I was told by a crew member, on one cruise a passenger had refused to go to the Muster Drill and was asked to leave the ship before it had started as the Muster Drill is compulsory to attend.

Just curious, what does the Muster Drill on Celebrity have anything to do with the Mustard Drill and bringing the life jackets to the drill on Princess?

What am I missing here?

Enjoy your cruise.

Just curious, what does the Muster Drill on Celebrity have anything to do with the Mustard Drill and bringing the life jackets to the drill on Princess?

What am I missing here?

Enjoy your cruise.

What’s a “Mustard Drill”?

What am I missing here?

Enjoy your cruise.

I am the OP that started this thread. I wanted to know about taking the life jackets to Muster Drill since my last Princesss cruise July 2017 to Alaska I took the life jacket.

I wrote about Celebrity to show that the cruise lines take Muster Drill serious.

No longer need to bring your life jacket to the Mustard Drill.

And if you go over the side in Norway, you’ll probably die of hypothermia anyway.

Enjoy your cruise.

Were there any hot dogs given out at the Mustard drill? I would really relish that!

A couple of years ago, Coast Guard regulations changed such that life jackets are no longer required at the drills. This is a mixed blessing to the cruise lines--the life jackets experience much less "wear and tear" because essentially they are no longer being handled at all. Do you really believe that anyone follows the instructions to try them on in the room and request help if you can't figure it out or require a different size? MAYBE some parents look to see if there are child size ones in the room, but beyond that, I doubt it. I suppose the cruise lines figure that this is a good thing and perhaps doesn't impact safety since it is easy to figure out how to put one on and the chances of needing it are small.

Seems to me that it is rather like when I was learning to fly and the requirements changed--a student no longer had to demonstrate recovery from a full stall, but simply an approach to stall. I had an "old school" instructor who didn't care what the rules said; he said it was safer to do a full stall and recovery under supervision rather than in a true emergency for the first time....one of those lessons I've never forgotten.