Understanding Non Refundable Deposit

slyster

So, I have a non refundable deposit on a cruise in 2019. I just want to make sure I understand what happens. If I change to another cruise, I pay $100 per person change fee. If I understand correctly, I can cancel a cruise, but I would have to reschedule it within a year? Again, I would just pay $100 change fee correct?

Can someone explain this scenario. I book a cruise, put down $500 non refundable deposit and then I pay another $500 and have $1000 put down on the cruise. If I were to cancel outright and not reschedule, am I just losing the $500 or would I lose everything I put down on the cruise? Thanks in advance...

So, I have a non refundable deposit on a cruise in 2019. I just want to make sure I understand what happens. If I change to another cruise, I pay $100 per person change fee. If I understand correctly, I can cancel a cruise, but I would have to reschedule it within a year? Again, I would just pay $100 change fee correct?

Can someone explain this scenario. I book a cruise, put down $500 non refundable deposit and then I pay another $500 and have $1000 put down on the cruise. If I were to cancel outright and not reschedule, am I just losing the $500 or would I lose everything I put down on the cruise? Thanks in advance...

You would lose $200 ($100/person) and get the rest of the $500 deposit (so $300) as a future cruise credit. The other $500 that you just paid extra, you'd get back.

At least that is how I understand it.

Dan.

Oh! Ok...now I get it. And if I were not to use the $300 future cruise credit I would lose the whole $500 deposit?

Does the cruise have to happen within one year or do you just have to book it within one year?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh! Ok...now I get it. And if I were not to use the $300 future cruise credit I would lose the whole $500 deposit?

Does the cruise have to happen within one year or do you just have to book it within one year?

You must cruise within a year.

I believe the cruise credit is in the name of the individual passengers, regardless of who pays. So if X & Y booked non-refundable and cancelled, X could not use Y's cruise credit to go solo or book with Z.

That's correct, the future cruise credits are non-transferrable.

I believe the cruise credit is in the name of the individual passengers, regardless of who pays. So if X & Y booked non-refundable and cancelled, X could not use Y's cruise credit to go solo or book with Z.

I wonder if you book the new cruise for X and Y, and then after final payment you change the name from Y to Z, do you think they would catch this and charge you the amount of the future cruise credit?

I wonder if you book the new cruise for X and Y, and then after final payment you change the name from Y to Z, do you think they would catch this and charge you the amount of the future cruise credit?

That should not cost anything. They are only supposed to charge the $100pp penalty if the ship or sailing date is changed.

An interesting question.

I think you are asking if you can book the original 2 passengers (the ones with the FCC) and then change one of them to someone else?

Don't have the answer but my best "guess" would be that it would work

I think you are asking if you can book the original 2 passengers (the ones with the FCC) and then change one of them to someone else?

Don't have the answer but my best "guess" would be that it would work

Yes that is what I am asking. I guess if one of the original named passengers cannot go on the new date you could try this and the worst that would happen is they add a charge for the FCC.

I realize if I ever want to do this, I'll actually have to check with RCL, but...what if one has a non-refundable deposit, but wants to re-fare to a lower sale fare? Thoughts?

They normally allow bookings with non-refundable deposits to get price drops before final payment date.

• 4 months later...

Hi, sorry if this posts twice.... question on non-refundable deposits for Royal carribean. Our cruise is in Nov 2018, so we are still over the 120 mark for a 7 day cruise. We can't go on this cruise due to family emergency. We had 2 rooms and have only paid $500 on each room. We were 4 people. So do I understand it right that we will have $600 toward a future cruise credit to be used within 1 year? Do they break that up per person so it would be $150 each? Trying to figure out how that works in case all 4 of us can't go on the new cruise. 1 just started a new job so no vaca time yet... thx

Hi, sorry if this posts twice.... question on non-refundable deposits for Royal carribean. Our cruise is in Nov 2018, so we are still over the 120 mark for a 7 day cruise. We can't go on this cruise due to family emergency. We had 2 rooms and have only paid $500 on each room. We were 4 people. So do I understand it right that we will have $600 toward a future cruise credit to be used within 1 year? Do they break that up per person so it would be $150 each? Trying to figure out how that works in case all 4 of us can't go on the new cruise. 1 just started a new job so no vaca time yet... thx

Correct, each person would be charged $100 penalty to cancel, leaving a $150 future crusie credit in the name of each person, non-transferrable.

thank you for the fast reply! So if 3 out of 4 can still go then we lose the $150 in the 4th's name? Or what happens if we book for all 4 and then cancel the 4th person or transfer to another family member? I'm not sure all the fees that are involved...

So if 3 out of 4 can still go then we lose the $150 in the 4th's name? Or what happens if we book for all 4 and then cancel the 4th person or transfer to another family member? I'm not sure all the fees that are involved...

Assuming the 4th person would be the second person in the second cabin, you can change that name up till one day before the sailing. You wouldn't lose anything but the single person left in that cabin (assuming the 4th person can't make it) would have the pay the entire cost of that cabin as if two people were in there.