Traveling with a minor only one parent attending.

CFERNANDEZJR1

Good Morning,

Does anyone know if there is a certain form or letter format when one parent is traveling within a minor child? Does my wife who will not be on the cruise need to sign a notarized letter or form? We are traveling on Norwegian- thank you for any help!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I travel with my kids all the time and dh doesn't always join us any longer due to his asthma and the risk posed from the smoke on the ship .....that said....I always get a notarized letter that we compose ourselves stating the exact dates and itin etc

The letter starts with.....I authorize my wife.....my name....to take our minor child.....her name.....to...the city we are flying to....and then on a cruise.....the cruise details....on the following dates....etc etc

There is a form online and since our next trip goes to Mexico I will also fill that out as well as Mexico can be funny.

Of course we only travel with passports

Also the accompanying parent should have a copy of the absent parents drivers license and passport with them. I'm guessing a copy of that parents birth cert as well if no passport available I was told this by a us govt official btw. Passport office I believe told me this.

Btw my minor child is 17 and this is the 1st cruise she is doing without her other parent present

2 of her adult sisters will also be joining us.

I've also done a self composed form for a land trip to Europe when she was 16 but never asked for it by any of the airlines.

I do know of a case where the mom was flying to a Mexican AI with her minor daughter and was asked for the letter by the airlines at JFK from her ex husband authorizing the trip

Fortunately the ex was the one that dropped them off and was able to turn around and get the the ticket desk in enough time to authorize this

The airline said it was a bigger issue since it was going to Mexico

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by maggie cruises

Thank you for the details. I’m going to have her sign a letter with the details you stated. Just in case- we travel with passports. This is just the first time my wife cannot attend. Do you notarize the copy of the drivers license as well?

I have cruised twice, once with my daughter when she was 16 and once with my son when he was 15 and my wife did not join us.

I did not have any letter and there was not a single thought given by anyone I encountered in the entire process.

I have cruised twice, once with my daughter when she was 16 and once with my son when he was 15 and my wife did not join us.

I did not have any letter and there was not a single thought given by anyone I encountered in the entire process.

Awesome. Was it recently? It didn’t even cross our mind having a letter until someone mentioned it.

There is a form on NCL's website to be used when a minor is sailing without any parent or guardian:

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/cruise-travel-documents

Traveling with Minors Unaccompanied by Parent or Legal Guardian*:

The following documents must be supplied at the pier during check-in:

1. Download and Complete the Parental Consent Release form (PDF)Minors or the same parent(s)/legal guardian(s) may be listed on the same form
  2. Copy of both parents/legal guardians Driver’s License or other Government Issued IDAdoptive parents, legal guardians or persons separated or divorced are advised to keep legal and other relevant documents available in order to clarify custody rights.

But NCL's site says nothing about traveling with only one parent or guardian.

However, U.S. Customs and Border Protection does recommend a letter as PP posted above when only one parent or guardian is traveling with a minor child: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/3643/kw/minors%20travelling%20alone/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNTE4OTY5NzU1L3NpZC9nbVJEQURGbg%3D%3D

I have traveled the past year with my daughter on the Breakway and the Getaway and was never asked for any authorization from her father. If you are worried about it I would bring it for piece of mind. Most airlines have a copy of a generic letter to travel on their website . Nice thing about technology now is that you can always get a photo of the authorization texted to you. Have a wonderful vacation :)

I always got a notarized letter from my DH when I cruised with my underage daughter. No one ever asked me for it, but if they had and I didn't have one I would've been turned away at the pier. These cruises were all to Mexico and I know I was told to have the letter. The one time I flew to England I didn't have it and it wasn't a problem as no one asked me for it. I was told by my travel agent it wasn't required for England.

Candi

I travel at least 4 times a year with my kids. This includes 3 different cruise lines and about 30 countries over the last 10 years. I've been on Ncl as a solo parent twice in the last 3 years. I've never once been asked a single question about my other half in relation to my kids.

US immigration did ask where my husband worked once but that's about it.

I've never even thought about having to have a letter.

I do have one friend who was stopped in an airport because her son has a different surname. Other than that I've never heard of anyone I know getting a document signed.

I'm only speaking from personal experience though. If you feel better with a letter than you should certainly go ahead and get one.

Awesome. Was it recently? It didn’t even cross our mind having a letter until someone mentioned it.

99% of the time no one will ask for it as you read here. there have been cases where they did ask for it and if you dont have it , there could be delays. if you dont have any issues getting it, then it would be in your best interest just to have it. You will most likely not need it but why take a chance?

People have spare tires in their cars not because they expect their tire to get flat but they want to be prepared in the unlikely event that it does get flat.

Its rare but better safe than sorry

Thank you for the details. I’m going to have her sign a letter with the details you stated. Just in case- we travel with passports. This is just the first time my wife cannot attend. Do you notarize the copy of the drivers license as well?

No we didn't but I guess she could just sign the paper in front of the notary if you choose to

I traveled with the notarized permission letter

Copy of dh license and pp

Of course this was to Europe and I know Mexico is different so if going to Mexico on a port stop cal

USA and Mexican offices in the USA and ask if anything special is needed.

I'll be doing that for our western Carib cruise next week

I always got a notarized letter from my DH when I cruised with my underage daughter. No one ever asked me for it, but if they had and I didn't have one I would've been turned away at the pier. These cruises were all to Mexico and I know I was told to have the letter. The one time I flew to England I didn't have it and it wasn't a problem as no one asked me for it. I was told by my travel agent it wasn't required for England.

Candi

It's the Mexico aspect that is worrisome. There are lots of issues with child abduction there. I believe it's leaving Mexico with the minor that's the issue so that's why you want the letter before you even enter there.

Land based vacays are more complicated than cruise stops if I'm correct

Edit: Ok I just did some googling. As long as one parent is there it's ok but then it does get somewhat convoluted etc. as expected

So to be safe and assuming USA citizens...a letter might not be needed however I take no chances so for my western Carib with my adult and 17yo dds I will have dh sign a notarized letter allowing me to take the 17yo

All the pertinent info will be in this letter. Dates itin etc

I will also have a copy of dh drivers license and pp

I also email it to myself and take a pic of it and dh will have a copy at home

We only travel with pp too btw and in some cases...like this one...I will have the 17yos BC with me also

Edited by maggie cruises

You are married, you have 100% custody of the minor. Can't say for every state, and definitely not for every country, but I don't see where the letter would be required.

What do you do if you are a sole parent and the other parent is deceased? Or if you are the sole parent with 100% custody? Do you get a letter from the deadbeat who walked out of your and your child's life and has not been seen since?

What do you do if you are a sole parent and the other parent is deceased? Or if you are the sole parent with 100% custody? Do you get a letter from the deadbeat who walked out of your and your child's life and has not been seen since?

Death certificate of deceased parent.

Court or Judge's ruling showing that you are sole custodian of child.

Death certificate of deceased parent.

Court or Judge's ruling showing that you are sole custodian of child.

Must suck to be a single parent and have to carry around the death certificate of your spouse.

FL makes it much simpler:

Hi, is this your daughter?

Yes, she is 13. We are cruising together to celebrate her birthday.

Have a great trip.

Much better than:

Hi, is this your daughter?

Yes, she is 13. We are cruising together to celebrate her birthday.

That's great, where is her father and do you have his permission to take her on this trip?

He isn't coming and yes, I do.

I'm sorry you can't cruise without his permission.

<As child breaks down in tears because her birthday is ruined> I'd like your name please, my lawyer will need it.

It's the Mexico aspect that is worrisome. There are lots of issues with child abduction there. I believe it's leaving Mexico with the minor that's the issue so that's why you want the letter before you even enter there.

Land based vacays are more complicated than cruise stops if I'm correct

Edit: Ok I just did some googling. As long as one parent is there it's ok but then it does get somewhat convoluted etc. as expected

So to be safe and assuming USA citizens...a letter might not be needed however I take no chances so for my western Carib with my adult and 17yo dds I will have dh sign a notarized letter allowing me to take the 17yo

All the pertinent info will be in this letter. Dates itin etc

I will also have a copy of dh drivers license and pp

I also email it to myself and take a pic of it and dh will have a copy at home

We only travel with pp too btw and in some cases...like this one...I will have the 17yos BC with me also

Great idea emailing a copy to myself. Thank your for all the helpful information. I appreciate all your help!

There is a form on NCL's website to be used when a minor is sailing without any parent or guardian:

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/cruise-travel-documents

But NCL's site says nothing about traveling with only one parent or guardian.

However, U.S. Customs and Border Protection does recommend a letter as PP posted above when only one parent or guardian is traveling with a minor child: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/3643/kw/minors%20travelling%20alone/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNTE4OTY5NzU1L3NpZC9nbVJEQURGbg%3D%3D

Thank you for the helpful information. I’m going to print a copy. I appreciate all your help!

You are married, you have 100% custody of the minor. Can't say for every state, and definitely not for every country, but I don't see where the letter would be required.

You bring the death cert or the divorce/custody papers with you and if it's a deadbeat situation you hire a lawyer so you have proper docs in hand.

I know of situations where parents have had real problems traveling

Sorry but you are misinformed here. The letter is more important for married parents when only one is traveling with the minor and the possibility that the traveling parent abducting the kid

Divorced or deceased situations are actually easier....because yes you have a document proving you are the sole custodian

It's honestly not really about a 13 yo who can easily answer questions to the satisfaction of border patrol....it's more about the 4yo who doesn't have a clue they are possibly being abducted

And as noted previously it more about getting out of a foreign country of non USA citizens ...I.e. Mexican kids being abducted out of Mexico ...into who knows what !!!!

Sorry but you are misinformed here. The letter is more important for married parents when only one is traveling with the minor and the possibility that the traveling parent abducting the kid

Divorced or deceased situations are actually easier....because yes you have a document proving you are the sole custodian

It's honestly not really about a 13 yo who can easily answer questions to the satisfaction of border patrol....it's more about the 4yo who doesn't have a clue they are possibly being abducted

And as noted previously it more about getting out of a foreign country of non USA citizens ...I.e. Mexican kids being abducted out of Mexico ...into who knows what !!!!

I can see that going very poorly. And I can also see the lawsuits flying fast and heavy. What does the person say when the single parent says I have complete custody? How about when they say the other parent is unavailable and the person checking asks why?

Congratulations, that 'why' may have just opened the door to a civil rights case under HIPAA law. The same reason you can't challenge a person's disability or therapy animal.

If a parent shows up to a Federal prison and wants to bring a child in to visit, congrats, they can bring the kid in. They have custody. Now if we are going to let them into a prison without question because of custody rights and civil rights issues I don't really see where any other State or Federal agency is going to survive a lawsuit that has already been won.

There are plenty of reasons to get signed paperwork, but most of that is to make situations easier while out of the country.

I can see that going very poorly. And I can also see the lawsuits flying fast and heavy. What does the person say when the single parent says I have complete custody? How about when they say the other parent is unavailable and the person checking asks why?

Congratulations, that 'why' may have just opened the door to a civil rights case under HIPAA law. The same reason you can't challenge a person's disability or therapy animal.

If a parent shows up to a Federal prison and wants to bring a child in to visit, congrats, they can bring the kid in. They have custody. Now if we are going to let them into a prison without question because of custody rights and civil rights issues I don't really see where any other State or Federal agency is going to survive a lawsuit that has already been won.

There are plenty of reasons to get signed paperwork, but most of that is to make situations easier while out of the country.

Ok great. Thanks for your input

Ok great. Thanks for your input

As you said, no one has ever asked you for your forms. Could be because they realize the potential for problems, and since there is no law stopping a parent from traveling with their own child....

I’ve travelled with my mom and my daughter and never been asked any questions (I am married to my children’s father but we took a girls trip), but when my husband and I took our kids recently they were quizzed by customs- “who are these people with you ? Where do you live? Where did you go? What is your name?”

As you said, no one has ever asked you for your forms. Could be because they realize the potential for problems, and since there is no law stopping a parent from traveling with their own child....

Oh really? Just ask any divorced parent who has it written into their divorce papers that they cannot go more than 90 miles with the child without the other parents permission

You have a great day now...no need to respond