Voom Question & Pricing Observation

paulmlac

First the question:

We are a family of 4 in 2 cabins. Can I (the dad) buy the Voom 4 Device package & spread the code(s) to the other 3 people (mom, daughter, son) for a device each? I don't think the 2 cabins messes anything up but wanted to check. It's obviously cheaper for 1 person to buy 4 devices vs 1 person in each cabin to buy 2 devices. Hopefully that makes sense...

Second, the observation:

The bundled package is not always the way to go. For example in our case...

Refreshment, refreshment, deluxe, deluxe, Voom 4 device = $1040.25

Refreshment, refreshment, deluxe with Voom, deluxe with Voom, Voom 2 device = $1047.41

The 2nd line is the bundled deluxe with Voom but it's just slightly more than option 1 which is more a la carte. Basically the Voom 4 device bundle is pretty good.

But it can be split up with two people in one cabin and two people in another cabin, right?

Correct, it can be split with any other passengers, it doesn't matter who they are or where their cabin is located. Do you need all 4 devices connected at the same time? You can buy a package for one or two devices and share it. The four device package means all four devices can be connected at the same time. If you buy a two device package, all four of you can share it but only two of you will be allowed to connect at one time.

But it can be split up with two people in one cabin and two people in another cabin, right?

Yes, you can share the internet package between people in different cabins. All each person has to have is the username and password for the package. Cabin number isn't used other than to initially register for the package.

If I understand it correctly, you want to buy Voom package for 4 devices. Therefore, each person using the device would set up his/hers User ID and password. You could also, buy a Voom package for 2 devices that can be shared by 4 Pax/devices, as long as only 2 are operational at any given time. 1-2nd device can log off and the 3-4th can re-log on with the established user id/password.

Conversely, you can buy 1 device that can be shared by 4 Pax/devices, as long as only one is operational at a given time.

Hopes the above explanation makes sense.

OP here - Thanks all. Want four devices (one per person). This will allow all of us to stay in touch via text if we go in different directions on the ship (two are teens). Disney was our last cruise. They had a cool feature in their app to text other people on the ship. WiFi to access their app was included in the fare.

OP here - Thanks all. Want four devices (one per person). This will allow all of us to stay in touch via text if we go in different directions on the ship (two are teens). Disney was our last cruise. They had a cool feature in their app to text other people on the ship. WiFi to access their app was included in the fare.

From what I understand Royal is the same way, the ships using the app give you app access while on board with no wifi package needed. Not sure about messaging through the app though, never used it.

From what I understand Royal is the same way, the ships using the app give you app access while on board with no wifi package needed. Not sure about messaging through the app though, never used it.

But it cost something like $7.95 per device for the total length of the cruise.

Thanks for the response, didn't realize there was a charge associated with the royal IQ app

There's no charge for using the Royal IQ app.

That charge is for using that app or the ship's WiFi to text others onboard without having an internet package

There's no charge for using the Royal IQ app.

That charge is for using that app or the ship's WiFi to text others onboard without having an internet package

OP again - So instead of buying Voom to text I could install the Royal app on all iPhones and pay only $8 per iPhone to text through their app? That’s much cheaper than Voom.

Not available in Indy as far as I know, but things do change.

I highly doubt the Royal IQ app will appear on any new ships. From what I've read, they have stopped development on that app and are concentrating on the new Royal Caribbean App, which does not have texting capability as yet.