Is Sea Salt available in the MDR...

#love2cruise

Is anyone knowledgeable regarding, if requested, sea salt in the main dining rooms on the Royal Princess? If not, then we can bring our own.

Our last cruise on the Royal last November, my hubby and I both thought the table salt must have been filled with white sand. Kidding aside, we are so use to sea salt, where very little is needed, that we really missed it on the cruise. Did not think to ask if it was available then.

Any help greatly appreciated. Happy to be cruising again on February 28th!!:cool:;)

All table salt (NaCl) is sea salt as salt (NaCl) is only found where salt water might have been at some point.

Now if you prefer large grains or fancy colors or think that a higher price means you are getting something different, go for it.

Yes, but table salt is much more processed thereby removing some of the minerals. Non-clumping additive and iodine are also often added to table salt. Taste and texture are quite different between the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all your replies...well, almost all replies, and thanks for the support.

Yes, there is a huge difference is you are comparing table salt and a good sea salt in taste and quality. And, yes, I will be bringing my Himalayan sea salt with me on my cruises from now on:cool:

Thanks for all your replies...well, almost all replies, and thanks for the support.

Yes, there is a huge difference is you are comparing table salt and a good sea salt in taste and quality. And, yes, I will be bringing my Himalayan sea salt with me on my cruises from now on:cool:

I have to agree with you. I was one of those skeptics who said table salt, sea salt , it's all just salt. Then I tried sea salt and some of the other "designer" salts and there IS a difference in texture and taste. :D

I have to agree with you. I was one of those skeptics who said table salt, sea salt , it's all just salt. Then I tried sea salt and some of the other "designer" salts and there IS a difference in texture and taste. :D

Can't one just lick a window or railing, for completely unprocessed sea salt?

I LOVE my pink Himalayan sea salt. The taste and texture is nothing like regular old Mortons.

FYI the Crown Grille has 3 different specialty Sea salts you can try. One is pink Himalayan, another is black volcanic and I forgot the third.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I LOVE my pink Himalayan sea salt. The taste and texture is nothing like regular old Mortons.

FYI the Crown Grille has 3 different specialty Sea salts you can try. One is pink Himalayan, another is black volcanic and I forgot the third.

I was just going to say they only have boring old table salt but the Crown grill has 3 extra salts.

So, I agree that it's the only place I also know of that has additional salt

Given that they only give you a tiny bit there, I doubt you can ask for to go salt from the Crown Grill.

If someone really wants their own salt I suppose they can bring it on board. I wouldn't bother for a short cruise, but for those who are on for a month or longer, perhaps it would make sense?

The third is Applewood from Yakima

Yes, but table salt is much more processed thereby removing some of the minerals. Non-clumping additive and iodine are also often added to table salt. Taste and texture are quite different between the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iodine is there to prevent cramps, but sea salt has it naturally (if the packager doesn't remove it). Have seen lots of clumping on balcony salt!

Iodine is there to prevent cramps, but sea salt has it naturally (if the packager doesn't remove it). Have seen lots of clumping on balcony salt!

Cramps???....not really.

Lack of salt produces cramps...has nothing to do with the iodine.

Himalayan salt is not "sea" salt. "Sea" salt is the result of the evaporation of sea water. Think of the salt flats in Utah. The Himalayas have not been near a sea in a long time. Himalayan salt is mined, generally in the Punjab region of Pakistan, and is pink if it includes impurities which generate that color. Punjab is not in the Himalayas. It is a province in Pakistan, with over 100 million residents. However, if you package sodium chloride and add coloring agents (like Hawaiian Black Salt), and use a catchy name, you can sell ordinary table salt at a high markup.

We have had the specialty restaurant salts. Frankly, I could not tell the difference, but if it is important to you, Princess does not limit you in bringing your own salt on board.