Skagway, white pass rr, and food

yags

We will be on the June 25th sailing of the Grand to Alaska. One of the excursions we will do is the White Pass and Yukon RR in Skagway. According to what we have seen no food is served on the train only bottled water.

Will the International café put food in "to go" containers or is it better to get it from room service while getting ready to go? Not an earth stopping issue but we are both diabetics and always careful about having something to nibble on. Besides it is a cruise for God's sake. You cant go more then 5 minutes without having food shoved at you. Thanks in advance for those in the know.

Skagway is Alaska which is a US port. It is illegal to bring any fruit, dairy, or non-processed meat into any US port (agriculture regulations). If you have a medical need to bring food into port, your best bet is something "pre-packaged" like a protein bar. If your concern is hypoglycemia, the normal emergency measure is some hard candy. No, the ship will not package up something for you to take into port as they are well aware of the legal issues involved.

You can probably follow your diet appropriately by eating shortly before you leave the ship and planning to eat when you return. If your medical advice includes nibbling throughout the day, you are limited to professionally packaged foods while in US ports...or something you buy in port.

Now this was many years ago but I seem to recall them selling a few snack bars or candy as well as the water and souvenirs on the railroad.

But I would strongly suggest packing along some factory sealed snacks to carry with you when on tour. The ship will not pack up anything "to go" and you will almost certainly be stopped from carrying any prepared foods off the ship. If caught by the authorities bringing something like a sandwich, cookies or fruit off the ship you could receive a very huge fine. Agricultural import restrictions still apply even on a "domestic" itinerary.

If you take the Bennett Scenic Journey, they do serve lunch between Bennet and Carcross. The White Pass Summit Excursion is a much shorter trip so they only serve water. If you did the 8:15am trip you would be back in plenty of time for lunch. If you want to have lunch in Ketchikan (highly recommended) you might go to one of these restaurants: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g31030-Ketchikan_Alaska.html then have a wander around Ketchikan as it is a really neat place to visit. Be sure to go to Creek Street: http://www.experienceketchikan.com/creek-street-ketchikan.html We've been to Creek Street and seen a salmon run and a otter eating his lunch - it is just the coolest place!

The lunch stop at Bennett was wonderful! So sad to hear they have changed this!

I did the Lake Bennett tour a couple of time with Chilkoot, which has their own private rail car. on the train Leaving Lake Bennet one trip a lady got on and sat near me, we started chatting and turns our she ran the Lake Bennett station. When I mentioned I really like the stew they served she laughed and told me it took her 6 months to perfect her recipe. I guess its's hard to find a recipe that feeds 500 lol

I don’t have any idea about taking food with you.

I gust like to say I loved the White Pass and Yukon RR excursion. It was great.

Tony

Thanks for the input on the train excursion. It sounds like exactly what we were hoping for. The food thing is minor if the trip is spectacular.

The RR scenery is so fantastic that I would not want to be doing anything during this time but looking and snapping photos.

If you need a snack for medical reasons, I agree with above suggestions to bring a snack bar with you. Food that is prepackaged can be taken off the ship.

OK it's been a few years. We did this as an excursion, got on bus Skagway and stopped several hours later for bar-b-que lunch/museum/husky breeder. Continued on to train where only water was offered for return trip. WELL WORTH IT