Post Stay in Rome

chop27

Going on the Iconic Western Med. cruise.. Looking at Post Stays in Rome. Prices are very high going with Viking. Seems we could do better but have never traveled to Rome and worried about transportation from port to hotel and than to airport a few days later. Viking is charging $1600.00 for a two night stay with no tours. Any suggestions.

We did use them for a Paris post stay and it was nowhere near that cost.

Thanks for any help

Is that $1600 for two people? You could do it for less on your own, but you are paying for the convenience of having them transfer you back and forth from the port to the hotel, and the hotel to the airport. There will also be (if like our stay in Prague) a Viking desk in the hotel with staff to assist you with questions, directions, and planning. It's just a question of how much that convenience is worth to you. I have been to Rome twice, and am quite comfortable getting around the city on my own now, on foot or by metro. However, I am less confident with taxis/trains, and the transfers might prompt me to pay the extra for the Viking extension. But that's just me.

She Who Must Be Obeyed and I have done several transatlantics that either started in or terminated in Rome. We usually build in a few days in Rome and have tried several options. Here's what seems to work the best for us.

We walk from the ship in the port of Civitavecchia to the train station and catch the next train to the airport. If you prefer not to walk, there are plenty of taxis to get you to the train station. Or, you can prebook a transfer via van or limo to the airport. We stay at the airport Hilton using points or money - depending upon how flush we are with points. The Hilton provides a free shuttle bus into and back from Rome every day, all day. From the shuttle bus stop in Rome, we either catch a Hop-On-Hop-Off bus for the day or just walk to what we want to see. For tours, we book in advance through a well-known tour site that starts with V and make our way to one of their pickup points. The Hilton bus will pick you up again at the dropoff point at the scheduled time.

Depending on how many days you want to build in, I would recommend the HOHO bus the first day in order to get the lay of the land and then do tours the subsequent days.

When it's time to leave Rome and head home, we are already adjacent to the airport in the Hilton and just roll our bags to the terminal.

With what Viking is wanting for two nights, SWMBO and I could do more than twice as many nights there- with the cost of tours extra.

Good luck on your Rome stay - we love it there. The city is very walkable and when you are on your own, you can linger when you want and really enjoy yourself.

Edited by SargassoPirate

Check the PORTS OF CALL for lots on transfers. Book your own hotel and get a local tour.

search for RomeTookKit for some great information.

Oh, and congrats to you for doing extra days in Rome vs running off to the airport.

I agree with garycarla !

Lots of good specific information on the Port Of Call call Forums , here at Cruise Critic.

I always check it when I am going to a new port or disembarking for the first time in a new place in Europe.

Also great for reviews about hiring locals for transportation, guides, hotel and restraruants.

Enjoy your stay in Rome. It is a a city one can go back to numerous times.

I'd recommend Hotel Delle ****oni, right in the historical center of the city, walking distance to everything. Not expensive (at least in September).

http://www.hotel-delle****oni-rome.com/

The post got censored because part the name (Hotel "of the nations", in English) comes out as the commonly known horrible German regime of the 30s-40s. But it has nothing to do with that. It's on Via Poli 6.

We are doing just such a stay after this week's Viking from Barcelona.

I'm using a VRBO right near the Vatican, at $107 a night. They are booking transfer from the port for me, and back to the airport at the end. I've booked private tours to the places we want to see, and they all have been great to deal with.

We don't anticipate a problem finding something to eat there!

We have been to Rome several times. Rick Steves has free audio guides on many of the top attractions. Download them to your iPhone and you have a free tour guide. There are lots of choices for hotels in varying price ranges. The train is easy to use. The last time we were there the hotel arranged a driver to take us to the airport. I think it was about $50-60.