Formal Dress Policy

droots

Traveling on the Shadow's Inside Passage Alaska cruise. We read that there was a trial run recently allowing non-formal dining in the Terrace Cafe on formal nights. Does anyone know if this policy is going to be continued on future voyages? Many thanks for any information you can provide.

I wonder what the passengers' reaction was. Did the Terrace Cafe's resarvation list fill up quickly with tuxedophobes, or were the tables empty because too many people preferred a dress-up atmosphere on formal nisht?

--

Durant Imboden

Europeforvisitors.com

We just returned from the Whisper. On this 16 day cruise, they offered a casual alternative in the Terrace Cafe for the last of the three formal nights only. The cruise was not full, but I didn't notice any reduction in numbers in the main restaurant.

When I was on the Whisper in April they stated in the Chronicles that they were trying this new alternative on Formal nights. We had three and it was an option on the last two. I thought it was available on all three, but a check of my Chronicles shows otherwise. You are allowed to dine in casual attire in the terrace cafe, go to the observation lounge, or enjoy the open decks. A couple came to the panorama lounge one night for drinks and they were politely asked to leave. People were dressed in formalwear in the terrace cafe. Hey, if you like the menu that night and you want to have a drink before dinner or go somewhere after you have to dress up. I hardly saw anyone going casual. I think if they didn't want to dress they just stayed in and had room service. You know Silversea lends itself to dressing up. I felt more at ease dressy than casual. The waiters are walking around with tuxes and white gloves for pete's sake. If you own a tux take it and put it on. I only saw two suits on 360 passenger ship. And if you are a lady, you'll see more long gowns than short dresses.

>> The waiters are walking around with tuxes and white gloves for pete's sake. If you own a tux take it and put it on.<<

Yes, but leave the white gloves at home, or you might get drafted into serving drinks. :-)

--

Durant Imboden

Europeforvisitors.com

Just got off the Silver Whisper yesterday after 35 days. I've spoken at length to the Food and Beverage Mgr about the casual/Formal night, and he indicates it is very sparsely used. As mentioned before, some people in formal dress actually use the Terrace those nights, but the "casual" people are few and far between. Because you are restricted to an out of the way lounge and the Terrace Cafe, it creates a second class citizen situation. And, people wouldn't really be travelling on this ship if they didn't like formal nights (although the 7 we had were a bit much -- even so, I wouldn't go casual!)

What you say is true - of today - but there is a growing market for Silversea type clients - but who want a totally casual environment.

I don't mind spending very good cash, will demand the very highest quality - but as I never wear a suit "at work" do not welcome it on a cruise.

Let's hope that some forward thinking cruise line will see something "above" silversea!

Today I bought ther most gorgeous designer gown you would ever imagine; black lightly beaded French Lyon lace over pale pink silk taffeta.

I can't wait to wear it on our cruise in August - and wish I could be formal everynight.

My husband feels the same - likes to see me in gowns and he likes the way he feels in a tux.

C'mon, this is Silversea you're talking about...

Suzi-q

I'm with you, guess what we don't wear designer gowns to work either but love to dress up when we are on our cruises.

If you want casual, every night, choose another cruise line.

I think UK1 needs to do a little more homework on what Silversea has to offer.

I like the option of not getting formal - and it doesn't mean I don't enjoy the luxuries that Silversea has to offer. I'm glad those of you enjoy having a place to wear your new "designer gown" but I prefer having a choice to go more casual some of those formal evenings.

Even at our country club, the formals have been become much less popular than they were in years past; this year our "Opening Formal" was become the "Opening Party" with "country club casual attire" in order to attract better attendence.

Formal nights are likely to become less popular in the future for several reasons:

1) Shorter cruises, frequently in combination with land vacations.

2) Less generous airline baggage allowances.

3) Changing tastes and changing generations.

Side note: I find it interesting that the same passengers who dress to the nines at night are often surprisingly casual in the daytime--far more so than they might have been 20 or 30 years ago, especially in urban ports. One could argue that clothing standards have declined markedly except on formal nights, which suggests that evening wear has shifted from "dressing for dinner" to "dressing up" (especially now that "formal nights" have replaced the tradition of dressing up every night except for the first and last days at sea). Whether that's good or bad is a matter of personal opinion, but I don't think there's much doubt that--even on lines like Silversea--there's been a trend toward greater informality.

--

Durant Imboden

Europeforvisitors.com

I'm somewhat suprised to see that some people aren't imaginitive enough to see that there is space enough in the world for people wanting different things than what they want. The people posting aren't going to be on EVERY cruise and so why impose it on the cruises they are not on - so their sentiments make no common sense.

I am going to "dress up" on the Silversea cruise because doing otherwise is not fair and inconsiderate to other passengers. My point is that there is a product opening for the growing number like me. The formal bunch is getting smaller the informal increasing.

However, there is a growing need for exactly the same cruise experience as Silversea without the formality, perhaps even on smaller craft. For many the dressing up detracts from the experience and a smart casual would enhance the experience. I do not want shorts and trunks and tee-shirts - even at lunch. Just 100% smart casual.

SeaDream Yacht Club, which has a 5-star rating from Douglas Ward's Berlitz cruise guide, has a "Resort Casual" dress code (or non-dress code, depending on your point of view). SeaDream claims that its average passenger age is 45, so you could view its dress code as a foretaste of what Silversea and Seabourn will offer in another 15 or 20 years. :-)

Change is inevitable, but it may be evolutionary rather than revolutionary. Silversea already defines "formal" as being a tuxedo or dark suit for men, and the suit-to-tuxedo ratio is likely to grow over time (as it already has on some voyages). It wouldn't be surprising if, in another few years, the Terrace Cafe became a formal dining venue on some nights with an informal dress code in the main restaurant. Ultimately, the market will dictate the dress code on cruise ships just as it does on shore.

--

Durant Imboden

Europeforvisitors.com

Thanks - I'm on Silver Whisper in a week or so for our first cruise. What's put me off in the past 20 years which is I suppose roughly how long I've been able to afford cruises - is the rigid dress regime. It's almost the first thing that's mentioned when I talk about this topic to friends who find the notion unnaceptable and unatractive. Perhaps some might think oddly - they can understand it on cheap or mid-priced cruises - but not top-end where they (and I) expect people to be more sophisticated than dressing up.

Also, I can just about understand preserving a formal night in a restaurant on the odd night - but to say a whole ship is formal on that night - otherwise you have to confine yourself to barracks seems to me in 2004 plainly bizarre. You summed it up when you said it's people dressing up rather than dressing for dinner.

It'll be interesting to see how I get on with the idea!

Thanks for your feedback.

What a wonderful idea: make the Terrace Cafe "Black Tie Only" several evenings for those who want to wear their designer gowns and have one lounge reserved for Black Tie those evenings. And let the rest of us wear our comfortable designer casualwear!

Since you cannot change the existing rules at present, a way out may be to try the course by course room service (with the same restaurant food so I heard), which is only available on boutique ships such as Silverseas. Order free caviar, foie gras, lobster tail and king crab legs, together with select wines and eat on your private balcony with a dedicated waiter standing by. That may be a nice experience in itself!

uk1-

I think that even if you choose to go formal, you would be able to parade around the entire ship if you so desire! Let everyone share the pleasure of seeing you so dressed up. Like people in New York showing up at a diner in tuxedos and gowns for an early morning breakfast after a latenight gala party.

Maybe they could hang a "Les Halles" sign on the Terrace Cafe and serve French onion soup to the up-all-night party crowd at 5 a.m. :-)

As for hiding out in one's suite, that's an option, but it isn't necessary as long as you're willing to wear a business suit or the female equivalent. Like other cruise lines, Silversea has a broad definition of "formal" these days.

--

Durant Imboden

Europeforvisitors.com

• 4 weeks later...

A cruise on a Silversea ship (as well as many others) is a fantasy bubble and does not reflect reality. Tuxedos are rarely worn anytime, anywhere or for any reason in the real world, even in New York. Certainly, no restaurant anywhere requires patrons to dress in formalwear and most don't even require a jacket for men. Playing along with the fantasy is very important to many folks on a cruise but,as some have noted, times are changing and Silversea probably will, too.

hey, no one is twising anyones arm to go on Silversea. You want casual go on Windstar or Seadream, there are options for everyone. I loved the post on the Cunard site about the person who was insulted that they were made to feel they had to dress up on QM2, then go on the many other ships with free style and other and enjoy!

something for everyone....

Cruiseyguy's analysis is right on the money, IMHO. Dressing up is part of the experience on Silversea and certain other cruise lines, but both the definition of "formal" and the frequency with which formal clothes are worn have changed over the last generation or two. (I can remember crossing the Pacific when I was 13 years old and seeing people in dinner jackets or cocktail dresses every night. Today, anyone wearing a tux every night would be mistaken for the maitre d'.)

--

Durant Imboden

Europeforvisitors.com

Archived