One multi-city ticket vs. two one-way tickets

CruisingSince2012

I was referring to what happens if I miss a connection at a foreign airport. If it is the last flight out that day, I have to stay overnight where I do not know anything except whether people speak English or not and the symbols for restrooms. For a domestic connectoin, my only problem is the airport's sze because everyone speaks English.
Oh, for goodness' sake. You're going to be connecting at major international airports in world cities. It's not going to be a connection at Mars or Mos Eisley. Everyone will speak English. (They probably would in Mos Eisley, too, in any event.)

You'd be likely to get more, more ready, and more friendly help than at any US airport. It's not like you're travelling to dangerous foreign places, after all. It's only Western Europe.

In many international airports, you will find better English speaking assistance than in some USA airports. Go to AMS and you will find far more signage in English than in Dutch, for example. But if you want to believe that you need to be in the USA, go right ahead.

Agreed. Every international airport I have been in has had signage in English. And as Flyertalker mentioned AMS in particular, I'll add that thus far every KLM employee I've ever encountered has spoken excellent English as well. Hotel employees, especially near airports and/or large tourist areas, generally speak English as well. Cab drivers are a different story, but that's no different than New York, LOL.

Oh, for goodness' sake. You're going to be connecting at major international airports in world cities. It's not going to be a connection at Mars or Mos Eisley. Everyone will speak English. (They probably would in Mos Eisley, too, in any event.)

You'd be likely to get more, more ready, and more friendly help than at any US airport. It's not like you're travelling to dangerous foreign places, after all. It's only Western Europe.

:'):'):'):')

me thinks they are WAAAAAAAAYYYYY over thinking this. :rolleyes:

OK, so what are my chances of getting a 3-hour layover where I go through immigration, customs, and security, then change terminals while going to the gate?

Pump the breaks, take a deep breath and STOP over thinking this. You are tying you self up in knots for no reason. You are wanting to travel to/from major cites you are making this so much harder than it needs to be.

OK, so what are my chances of getting a 3-hour layover where I go through immigration, customs, and security, then change terminals while going to the gate?

You are going to Europe. Things are little different over there. You will not do "customs" at your European connecting airport. Your bags will automatically transfer to your connecting flight. You will very likely do security and the immigration passport check is generally much simpler.

On the odd chance you make your connection in Canada, then in most cases you don't immigration, customs or security going from the US to Europe. Coming back, you do US immigration and customers at the airport in Canada but your bags are automatically transferred.

Do you needed 3 hours? Depends on the connecting airport. For London Heathrow it sounds reasonable. Most other airports it is a bit excessive. They airlines have defined minimum connection times and will not sell a ticket that violates those. Some of this board like more time, that is fine, the extra time may be warranted based on personal needs.

Will you change terminal? Perhaps. Perhaps not.