Traveling Alone?

BBMacLaird

We have a new blog post “How To Travel Alone Without Getting Lonely”.

Check it out and let me know what you think. Have you cruised solo?

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/blog/how-travel-alone-without-getting-lonely

Oh Bonnie, you momently made my day thinking "Travelling Alone" was to announce solo specials! :')

Back to earth, I've never been lonely cruising, nor travelling overseas on land travel alone. A bonus of travelling alone is that you meet the nicest people. On Azamara, this includes management and staff, as well as fellow passengers.

Granted, I'm a loner by nature.....I live alone and at work I'm able to close my office door during the day. Best weekends ever are ones in which I don't have to leave my house, see anybody or even speak to anyone on the phone.

I've traveled much of the US, Hong Kong, Canada, Mexico, and several European countries alone but for some reason I actually prefer cruises solo over land vacations. Maybe it's only unpacking one time? I've taken several solo cruises and spend most of the time on my balcony watching the sea roll by, which I love, reading books that have accumulated since my last cruise, or taking naps - which I never, ever do at home. I've never felt lonely on a cruise. There are others around if you feel you would like, or need, some human interaction - scheduled cruise activities,shared tables, shore excursions, etc.

Taking my first Azamara cruise this fall and I'm stepping a little out of my comfort zone by joining the roll call and planning a pre-cruise dinner with fellow cruisers.

The only negative I can think of about solo cruising are the high solo fares.

Although I don't travel solo, I have a friend who does. So I sent him the link to the blog post that Bonnie included.

Imagine my surprise when my friend wrote back to tell me that there were only three cruises with special solo fares. All three of these cruises leave within the next two months. He said it felt like he was offered the leftovers. I'm sorry I didn't check what was on offer before I sent it to him.

I've never checked solo fares before. Did I miss something?

“Taking my first Azamara cruise this fall and I'm stepping a little out of my comfort zone by joining the roll call and planning a pre-cruise dinner with fellow cruisers. “

Don’t forget to look at the ‘sticky’ thread ‘Tips for Azamara Newbies’

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Although I don't travel solo, I have a friend who does. So I sent him the link to the blog post that Bonnie included.

Imagine my surprise when my friend wrote back to tell me that there were only three cruises with special solo fares. All three of these cruises leave within the next two months. He said it felt like he was offered the leftovers. I'm sorry I didn't check what was on offer before I sent it to him.

I've never checked solo fares before. Did I miss something?

I saw that too. Very disappointing to write a blog dedicated to solo cruisers and then only offer 3 solo cruise deals! Edited by Mackdogmolly
Typo

Good article. The advice about going somewhere familiar is a good point. On my first two cruises alone, I tackled international flights, had different currencies on a cruise line I was unfamiliar with and did hotel stays in a major city alone. It was intimidating. The more I go on my own, the more I relax and enjoy it.

I would add that the roll call is the best place to make contacts. It's like having a pseudo-family before you even leave home. I've been "adopted" by quite a few couples and groups of older ladies and it really gives you a sense of belonging when you're alone.

Great blog with lots of good ideas.

I disagree a little with visiting someplace familiar, though. Once the decision is made, the ticket booked might as well be to somewhere exotic. It's just not that difficult to deal with currency and language, and new places are so much more interesting. After my husband died, I decided to take the trip to Turkey we'd talked about years before and added Egypt because it was in the 'neighborhood'. It couldn't have been easier and I've never had a moment's regret or felt lonely. People are friendly and welcoming everywhere.

I was a little hesitant about doing a cruise, but I booked my first Azamara cruise after getting lots of encouragement here, and again, no regrets! My third cruise is a month away and the fourth and fifth are booked. All Azamara, of course. The suggestions about excursions and Chef's Tables are perfect. There's always a shared table in the MDR also.

I too, wish there were more solo deals and have mentioned that on a couple of surveys. Obviously, double occupancy is better for the company bottom line, but I'd like to see deals offered to Azamara regulars before they go to consolidators and I don't know if that ever happens.

I have to disagree about extroverted Pisces being the best solo travelers too! I'm a fairly quiet Aries and I'm loving it!

Melissa

Granted, I'm a loner by nature.....I live alone and at work I'm able to close my office door during the day. Best weekends ever are ones in which I don't have to leave my house, see anybody or even speak to anyone on the phone.

I've traveled much of the US, Hong Kong, Canada, Mexico, and several European countries alone but for some reason I actually prefer cruises solo over land vacations. Maybe it's only unpacking one time? I've taken several solo cruises and spend most of the time on my balcony watching the sea roll by, which I love, reading books that have accumulated since my last cruise, or taking naps - which I never, ever do at home. I've never felt lonely on a cruise. There are others around if you feel you would like, or need, some human interaction - scheduled cruise activities,shared tables, shore excursions, etc.

Taking my first Azamara cruise this fall and I'm stepping a little out of my comfort zone by joining the roll call and planning a pre-cruise dinner with fellow cruisers.

The only negative I can think of about solo cruising are the high solo fares.

How refreshing, a solo traveler who doesn't bemoan traveling solo! I've just been perusing threads on the Crystal board, and it seems most solos there expect Crystal to provide some sort of social or matchmaking function for them. That's definitely not how I look at traveling solo. I, too, will be trying Azamara for the first time this fall (Cuba Intensive in November) and am looking forward to perhaps a more enlightened group of solo travelers who are able to be happy with their own company.

I think that's where it starts - you have to be happy with your own company. Some people would never go to a movie alone, much less an entire cruise. I find it liberating. It's just a matter of how you see things.

Some of the best parts about going on your own is that you have the entire bathroom and cabin all to yourself. You can eat dinner whenever it suits you and don't have to take into consideration everyone else's feelings and opinions. Want to take a nap in peace? Just do it. Want to be sociable? Find a trivia game or other group activity. And for women especially, it's a relatively safe environment.

After traveling and cruising with my husband for 40 years,I also travel solo for the last 4 years. ( I am retired but my DH still works and does not like TA)

My latest solo adventures include cruises with Azamara and Celebrity .

I enjoyed traveling alone in my teens and twenties.

I took trips by planes,trains and automobiles across Europe ,Asia and North America without fear or incident.

I still visit family and friends worldwide ,by myself, in my golden years , with the same love of travel but in more luxurious conditions.

I have never felt lonely on a cruise.

Sometimes I am so busy playing Trivia and other games,socializing in Cafes and Bars or sharing with other solos /duos a meal that I need a little break in the afternoon by myself in my stateroom.

I enjoy those alone times on the balcony to read,answer my mail or watch a movie.

I think that to travel as a solo ,you need to prepare your trip ,go with an open mind and try new things .

I like to organize some activities for solos on Cruise Critic (Trivia group,specialty restaurant,local meal,excursion).It helps me sort my own interests and meet other solos .

I always attend the Cruise Critic on board and the hosted dinner for solos ,these are the best places to meet others if you are a bit shy or uncertain of what to do on the cruise.

If I feel a bit lonely at times, I try to remember how lucky I am to travel the world by my own choice .

In my case,I also know that I am giving my couple ❤️a well deserved break .[emoji6]

Micheline

Could Azamara offer more consistently solo rates on more cruises?

I loved the previous 25% offer,could live with 50% on more popular cruises but 100% is really too much.I cannot eat for 2 and rarely drink for 2...

Could LCV members on the Discoverer and up levels get a better break as solos on all voyages?

I do too once in a while travel solo and I love it. Unfortunately unless there are more cruises with solo discounts, my next solo cruises will be with a different cruiseline than Azamara.

As much as I enjoy Azamara, I have always enjoyed my cruises also with other cruise lines. Price value relationship is indeed very important to me.