I Pad through security

ranchette

Do i have to remove my Ipad from its case when I go through security?
It varies by airport. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
And the answer is not necessarily either "yes" or "no". One of my regular airports says "yes if you have more than one, no if you only have one".

As others have said, it is hit or miss :(. But TSA recently changed its rules when it comes to carry-on luggage. They now can (and often do) require you to put any electronic device larger then a cell phone into a separate bin. This can even happen to those of us who have TSA-Precheck. In other countries the policy also varies and often is different for those flying to the USA.

Hank

Allow me to give you a simple rule that is universally applicable:

Always be prepared for any type of security screening, and never assume that a rule in one place and time will also govern a different time and place.

And in a similar spirit, may I proffer one piece of advice: Just ask. The screening staff will tell you what they do and do not need you to do.

What does it matter? Our ipads are generally kept no further than arms length. No issue for us if we have to pull it through.

Same with shoes and belts.

The only choice we have is to comply and continue through security or not to continue on our journey or that segment of our journey.

These folk have one goal...to protect us. So we do whatever is necessary to make their job smoother and easier and the entire procedure as seamless as possible. What else can we do?

Allow me to give you a simple rule that is universally applicable:

Always be prepared for any type of security screening, and never assume that a rule in one place and time will also govern a different time and place.

First, let me say I have long been a fan of your airline related posts and advice :). Second, we totally agree with your post. When we are sometimes "jerked around" by TSA or other airline security folks my reaction is to usually smile and thank them for the work they do....and tell them to do it well. While transiting through Narita (Japan) we were subject to a secondary screening of our carry-ons. They obviously saw something on their X-Ray that caused concern and a young lady completely unpacked one of our carry-ons and carefully checked every seam. In the end she apologized and bowed and I instinctively bowed back (I lived in Japan for 2 years as a young man) and thanked her in Japanese. This created quite a scene as all of her colleagues were suddenly grinning with bowing all around :). We suspect most passengers are not as understanding.

Hank

I used my spouses old carry on for five years of constant international travel. First year 7 months, then 4-7 months for the next four years. We have been through the US, Central/South America/Europe/Asia/SE Asia, Aus/N, Africa. Cannot count the number of times we have been through airport security. AIrports, cruises, ferry rides, and train were all places we had to go thru security.

In year 4 we were in Vietnam. Security stopped and said that I had a nail file in by carry on. Not allowed. I said no, I do not even own one. Well, they found it after two xrays and a complete search. It had slipped in the lining from over five years ago when it was used by DW. Only one security check found it out of probably 50 or checks. And perhaps countless when DW was using it.

I used my spouses old carry on for five years of constant international travel. First year 7 months, then 4-7 months for the next four years. We have been through the US, Central/South America/Europe/Asia/SE Asia, Aus/N, Africa. Cannot count the number of times we have been through airport security. AIrports, cruises, ferry rides, and train were all places we had to go thru security.

In year 4 we were in Vietnam. Security stopped and said that I had a nail file in by carry on. Not allowed. I said no, I do not even own one. Well, they found it after two xrays and a complete search. It had slipped in the lining from over five years ago when it was used by DW. Only one security check found it out of probably 50 or checks. And perhaps countless when DW was using it.

Too funny. We recall a post (on another site) about a man who was flying somewhere in the USA and had no problems with several TSA screenings. When he got home and opened one compartment in his carry-on he found his small Glock....which he had put in that bag many months earlier (for a driving trip) and then totally forgot about it. That is frightening. Whether that tale is true can be argued, but you do hear of similar situations where they miss things on screenings.

When we had problems with the screening at Narita (posted earlier about when they tore our bag apart) they alerted on DW's travel hair dryer. After going through the extensive search and all the polite bowing....the security lady let us see the x-ray image which caused the problem. Sure enough, that hair dryer looked an awful lot like a pistol on their machine. Now when we pack that item I usually put it on the top..so they can easily find it if it causes concern.

Hank

I suspect one of the problems is keeping the staff alert and watching every bag go through as though it is the first one on their shift.

I cannot even imagine working at job where all I did was sit and see xrayed bags go through. All it takes is a little bit of daydreaming or thinking about one's personal issue to miss something as it goes by. Must be a challenge for their QA foks.

Do i have to remove my Ipad from its case when I go through security?

I am going to take your question more literally. I don't know of any security that requires you to remove an ipad from a protective case like what most people use. Maybe if you use some industrial size/strength case they may ask to inspect but usually just removing it from your carryon will suffice.

I suspect one of the problems is keeping the staff alert and watching every bag go through as though it is the first one on their shift.

I cannot even imagine working at job where all I did was sit and see xrayed bags go through. All it takes is a little bit of daydreaming or thinking about one's personal issue to miss something as it goes by. Must be a challenge for their QA foks.

Modern scanning machines have techniques for helping screeners to maintain vigilance.

I don't know of any security that requires you to remove an ipad from a protective case like what most people use.
Try LHR for a start. Unless you ask the specific screener and they're OK with it staying inside the case.

Modern scanning machines have techniques for helping screeners to maintain vigilance.

Try LHR for a start. Unless you ask the specific screener and they're OK with it staying inside the case.

I have traveled thru LHR on multiple occasions and have never been asked to remove my case. When I say case I mean like the one below not a laptop bag or carryon

https://www.amazon.com/SWEES-Compatible-Protective-Leather-Shockproof/dp/B0753CKNLG/ref=sr_1_7?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1536062516&sr=1-7&keywords=ipad+pro+10.5+case

In which case we were at cross-purposes, sorry. Covers like that are OK, but the sleeve that mine then goes into usually has to come off at LHR.

You never know what will be looked at, or why. I once had to remove my keychain for extra security check. They stared at the FOB, and did an explosives swab on it. I'm still puzzled by that. Once I had a navigation device and a padded holder for the dashboard. They gave the holder, a complete test, including a swabbing also. I told them what it was, but they said it showed as a giant solid mass. I laughed and said it is a solid mass. All they said, next time, pull it out of my bag, because it might be easier.

Just go with the flow and know they are just going their job.

You never know what will be looked at, or why. I once had to remove my keychain for extra security check. They stared at the FOB, and did an explosives swab on it. I'm still puzzled by that. Once I had a navigation device and a padded holder for the dashboard. They gave the holder, a complete test, including a swabbing also. I told them what it was, but they said it showed as a giant solid mass. I laughed and said it is a solid mass. All they said, next time, pull it out of my bag, because it might be easier.

Just go with the flow and know they are just going their job.

Agree that you never know what they are going to want to inspect. I carry a corkscrew that doesn't have a blade. I now put it in my carryon front pocket so that they can easily find the "offending item" without having to paw thru my entire carryon.

If I go thru an airport that doesn't have pre-check I also throw my bag of cords, laptop and ipad into a bin just to limit then touching all my stuff. The stupid thing is they get all caught up in finding the thing on the monitor they ignore all the rest of the contents. I sometimes think it would be easy to smuggle contraband just by putting some easy to find banned item on top then they would just ignore the rest of the bag.

USA Today 6/27/18 https://traveltips.usatoday.com/need-out-ipad-going-through-tsa-security-108971.html

"In the past, TSA did not require iPads or tablets to be removed but now electronic devices larger than a cell phone have to come out of bags".

TSO's also have "Screener Discretion" and request to do a closer inspection on anything.

• 2 weeks later...