Air question - Not cruise-related

elycelynne

At Ben Gurion Airport in Tel Aviv, passengers on flights bound for the US are prohibited from carrying on liquids. Is this the case for all US-bound overseas flights, or is it something specific to Israel?

(I know this has nothing to do with cruising, but I figured that the knowledgeable people here would be able to provide a correct answer.)

Haven't been refused at any other foreign airport...standard 100ml rule is otherwise worldwide.

I should have been more specific -- I wasn't referring to the 3.4 oz. liquids in carry-on bags. I had to surrender my bottle of water before I boarded. Can one carry on beverages on US-bound flights at other overseas airports?

7 or 8 years ago, when leaving Buenos Aires, Argentina, we purchased beverages right near the gate. We were forced to give them up before boarding the plane. We were shocked, but told that that was the custom in their country.

I should have been more specific -- I wasn't referring to the 3.4 oz. liquids in carry-on bags. I had to surrender my bottle of water before I boarded. Can one carry on beverages on US-bound flights at other overseas airports?
FWIW, I've been unable to find any mention of such a restriction on flights from the UK to the US.

The only similar restriction of which I've had personal experience is on international flights inbound to Australia, onto which the only liquids you can carry are those in your 100 ml / 1 litre plastic bag or duty-free purchases which have been delivered by the shop directly to the gate immediately before the departure of the sector to Australia. People sometimes lose expensive duty-free purchases made earlier in their journeys because of this.

I have heard (but never paid much attention to the details of) other stories of people sometimes not being allowed to carry bigger liquids onto various flights, but can't help with where/when/what.

We can take bottles of water on if you buy it after security along with food to eat as most airlines charge you for their crappy offerings

Perhaps you are talking about YYZ, but that is definitely not a universal statement.

Have been in several airports where water purchased post-security was confiscated at a secondary check at the gate. Both AMS and SIN have had that policy at times, along with some other Asian airports.

As mentioned in another thread, the only blanket statement that can be made about security procedures around the world is....there are no blanket procedures, protocols or regulations.

We can take bottles of water on if you buy it after security along with food to eat as most airlines charge you for their crappy offerings

Not exactly true. For starters, International flights do not usually charge you for food or water, or soda, unless you are on one of those, super economy flights. Next, even if you buy water after security, you possibly may not bring it on the plane, example is in China. It is prohibited. But the plane had plenty of water to give out.

Here's El Al's page regarding liquids at TLV; I suspect all the carriers serving US destinations will have similar. https://www.elal.com/en/PassengersInfo/Baggage/Pages/Liquids.aspx

Note this line:

• Note that after all the above checks​, there may be additional security checks at the entrance to the plan(e)

Here's El Al's page regarding liquids at TLV; I suspect all the carriers serving US destinations will have similar. https://www.elal.com/en/PassengersInfo/Baggage/Pages/Liquids.aspx

Note this line:

• Note that after all the above checks​, there may be additional security checks at the entrance to the plan(e)

I wouldn't be surprised if there could be "additional restrictions" at ANY airport at any time, and without advance notice, especially if due to some recent and possibly unannounced (to the public) security concerns.

GC

• 3 weeks later...

Leaving PVG last year the lovely Chinese security people were right at the door of the aircraft with their little table and scowls. They insisted I could not take my bottle of water on the plane. "NOWATER!!'. Good thing I got it a a freebe in the biz lounge...

At Ben Gurion Airport in Tel Aviv, passengers on flights bound for the US are prohibited from carrying on liquids. Is this the case for all US-bound overseas flights, or is it something specific to Israel?

(I know this has nothing to do with cruising, but I figured that the knowledgeable people here would be able to provide a correct answer.)

Flying on Delta from Ben Gurion to JFK several years ago I had to throw my just purchased water bottle in the trash before boarding the plane. Once onboard I was handed a bottle of water by the flight attendant. Better safe than sorry and this airport is very particular.

Karen