Snorkeling from shore..... Caribbean

HomerJFong64

Hi all. My better 3/4s and I are going to be doing our first B2B on April 28 out of Ft. Lauderdale on the Carnival Conquest and we're looking to snorkel from shore at some of our port stops. We're stopping at Princess Cay, Nassau, Grand Turk (twice) Aruba, Curacao, Half Moon Cay, and Amber Cove. We'll probably do a couple of snorkel excursions but looking for alternates or after-excursion snorkeling. Half Moon Cay we're going to do horse back riding but again looking for after-excursion snorkeling. We're both experienced snorkelers and have our own gear. Any help would be much appreciated.

I've never been to Carnival's private islands, but I know the one in the Bahamas has good snorkeling from shore. Had this discussion with a fellow cruiser receently. Royal's private island Coco Cay has great snorkeling from shore, while their other private area, Labadee does not. Too bad your cruises don't stop at Bonaire, great shore snorkeling there.

Hi all. My better 3/4s and I are going to be doing our first B2B on April 28 out of Ft. Lauderdale on the Carnival Conquest and we're looking to snorkel from shore at some of our port stops. We're stopping at Princess Cay, Nassau, Grand Turk (twice) Aruba, Curacao, Half Moon Cay, and Amber Cove. We'll probably do a couple of snorkel excursions but looking for alternates or after-excursion snorkeling. Half Moon Cay we're going to do horse back riding but again looking for after-excursion snorkeling. We're both experienced snorkelers and have our own gear. Any help would be much appreciated.

I've only been to PC, but plan to see GT and HMC this fall. See my reply below for the private islands.

You may want to check the Grand Turk port of call board or search for reviews that include GT. I've seen some posts that indicate good snorkeling, but you would probably need to walk a distance or possibly take a cab/rent a golf cart.

Have a great trip!

I've never been to Carnival's private islands, but I know the one in the Bahamas has good snorkeling from shore. Had this discussion with a fellow cruiser receently. Royal's private island Coco Cay has great snorkeling from shore, while their other private area, Labadee does not. Too bad your cruises don't stop at Bonaire, great shore snorkeling there.

Carnival stops at two private islands in the Bahamas: Princess Cay (PCL) and Half Moon Cay (HAL). I was at Princess Cay earlier this year and it is very rocky, but clear water. We did not rent gear or have any with us, but a family sitting next to us said it was better snorkeling (from the beach) than some they had done on paid excursions. I'm going to HMC this fall and read that it has beautiful beaches with soft sand, so likely not as much snorkeling. I think there is a snorkeling section though that may have some good views.

looking to snorkel from shore at some of our port stops. We're stopping at Princess Cay, Nassau, Grand Turk (twice) Aruba, Curacao, Half Moon Cay, and Amber Cove. We'll probably do a couple of snorkel excursions but looking for alternates or after-excursion snorkeling.We're both experienced snorkelers and have our own gear. Any help would be much appreciated.

The Princess Cays snorkeling excursion is great. It's advertised for experienced snorkelers only so it keeps the group small. Your boat will be the only one out there, they let you go off on your own, and you have plenty of time in the water. No having to follow a guide or deal with inexperience snorkelers kicking you with their fins. Lots to see - both fish and coral - and the water is clear. I've been on it several times.

If you want to snorkel from shore at Princess Cays, walk past where the food is set up and head to the pier. You'll have to swim around the pier to get in front of where the cabanas are to get to the better snorkeling. Water is somewhat clear on a calm day but there isn't too much to see. I sometimes will do this after my snorkeling excursion just to get even more time in the water.

Grand Turk's water is super clear right off the ship. It's worth snorkeling there, but you will need to swim to the drop off to get a better experience. You can't go past the drop off as it's cordoned off. If you stay closer to shore it's sandy bottom so not so much to see. But the clarity can't be beat.

When we were at Half Moon Cay in December we snorkelled where Underwatr said. There's fish close to the rocks and also look for the resident octopus!

Some people say if you walk way down the beach you can snorkel at those rocks but we didn't go there.

c138ab7e377cad193f6ba61498ec6a80.jpg