Cruise line excursions - risk of last minute cancellation by cruise line?

BalekFekete

Quick question from a soon-to-be diver - has anyone had issues booking dives directly through a cruise line (RCI for my next cruise) but have them cancel it due to e.g. insufficient people last minute? Pricing on the cruise is actually competitive to going straight through the dive center, and the benefit of knowing you can't miss the boat isn't totally without value. :)

Thanks in advance for the insight...

More than once DW and I were the only folks signed up for a cruise dive excursion and we always went ....

sometimes a cruise excursion will cancel for weather reasons a bit more readily than operators on the island itself .... I have had this happen and still had time to find a local who'd take me out ....

it can happen but I'd not say it is routine ....

More than once DW and I were the only folks signed up for a cruise dive excursion and we always went ....

sometimes a cruise excursion will cancel for weather reasons a bit more readily than operators on the island itself .... I have had this happen and still had time to find a local who'd take me out ....

it can happen but I'd not say it is routine ....

I agree. Typically if the cruise line cancels, it will be days in advance, not last minute.

That being said, most of the time, dives are scheduled for the early part of the day, so missing the ship really isn't much of a concern. In a normal port, with a 7:00 or 8:00 am arrival, I'd guess I'm usually back aboard for lunch by 2:00 at the latest, and that's with no rushing at all.

I almost never use the ship's dive excursions anymore, but for a newer diver, they generally can be a great way to go. You can bet they're used to dealing with folks that are newly certified, and typically do a good job of providing exactly what's promised. Later, as you gain some experience, and the confidence that comes with it; you'll likely want to start booking your dives on your own. At this stage, why not free yourself from whatever logistics pressure you can?

Harris

Denver, CO

I've never had the cruise excursion cancelled, but also they also are more expensive, not cheaper than booking privately. The other difference is you typically will get longer dives on a private excursion and less chance of being on a cattle boat. The only cruise excursion I book now is Puerto Vallarta because it's a great party boat after the dives. Last year, I was the only diver out of about 35 people. The rest were snorkelers, kayakers, etc.