SouthHampton Cruise port.

Suggestions to get from London hotel to Cruise Port? Just received docs yesterday with added surprise note. Road to Southampton is being repaved. And it is already horrible traffic. Took us 4 hours last year due to one accident! How about a motorcycle or drone?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There are a number of transport options from London to Southampton (note the spelling otherwise you could end up in the wrong place!! :eek:) - car, coach or train (Note that after some early difficulties Uber is now allowed to operate in London)

A pre-booked transfer by car is probably the most convenient and the 85 mile journey from central London should take about 2.5 hours depending on the time of day.

Don't take a London Black Cab for this journey unless you have very deep pockets!

Train or coach would be a cheaper option than a car transfer but you will need taxis at each end.

There are often roadworks on the motorways involved (M25, M3 & M27) but usually lane closures for resurfacing are carried out overnight.

As with highways around the world accidents occur and can cause significant delays on these busy motorways - as you experienced last year.

Enjoy your cruise and the pre-planning :cool:

Agree with the above I would book a private transfer there are different roads to get to Southampton.

The train from London Waterloo station does go direct to Southampton Central which is about 1.5 miles from the port and taxis are available there. The journey is around 70 mins. But if you are like me and have a lot of luggage not a great way to travel unless it is in the middle of the day and not in rush hours.

Get the train from Waterloo to Southampton. Easy trip, plenty of room for luggage. Try Megatrain.com (or megabus). They sell a couple of heavily discounted tickets about 6-8 weeks ahead of time. We've done this twice and it has all worked perfectly. Get a taxi at the other end to Holiday Inn and walk to your ship the next day.

I always take the train....never had a problem in 20 trips from Waterloo to Southampton although I do recall a 5 hour delay 40 years ago due to “an incident up ahead”. This was repeated every 10 minutes for 5 hours so I suppose nothing is certain...except as they say death and taxes. Mike

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Agree the train is faster as I get it a few times a week but as I mentioned above before10am and between 16h00 and 19h00 not great if you have luggage as it is super busy and difficult to even get a seat until you get past Basingstoke. But during off peak times it is fine. You can purchase tickets and check times on http://www.nationalrail.co.uk. they cost less if you buy more than a week in advance and first class tickets are also available.