Random Notes, Explorer, Copenhagen-Oslo, June 24-July 6, 2018--LIVE!

Mr Rumor

Hei, hei, venns! Ginny and I have already spent eight wonderful nights just outside Oslo as the guests of my old Royal Viking Line printer buddy Jess, a terrific host. We're now in Copenhagen, Jess' hometown, where we've taken up residence at his favorite Copenhagen hotel, the Kong Arthur. Before Jess deposits Ginny and me Sunday at Langelinie Pier Berth C190, where we'll board the Explorer, he'll be sharing a little bit of his beloved Denmark with us.

This trip is Bucket List Deluxe for DW and me, pairing our second in a lifetime visit with Jess (our first in 2012 just wasn't enough--Jess is the best Norway guide you never heard of) with our first Norway cruise. I've been wanting to cruise the coast of Norway since my time aboard the RV Star in '76-'77 as editor of the daily paper when Jess would invariably respond to my exclamations about a particular port by declaring, "You haven't done a Norway cruise yet."

To my delight Regent Air agreed to quite the deviation, flying Ginny and me to Europe a full two weeks before our June 24 embarkation, and to Oslo instead of Copenhagen. I was keen on visiting Jess before we set sail, and also wanted to see Copenhagen through his eyes before embarking on our cruise. We'd previously spent only one day in Copenhagen, on our 2011 Southampton-Stockholm cruise aboard the Voyager.

I'll be posting some favorite photos from our Oslo-area travels next, but first wanted to do a little table-setting. This will be our 17th cruise with Regent, and our third aboard the Explorer. I would have liked an itinerary that got us farther north, into the North Cape. But boasting nine Norwegian ports (Kristiansand, Bergen, Harstad, Bodo, Alesund, Geiranger, Hellesylt, Flam and Haugesund), Copenhagen-Oslo still offers a rich Norwegian feast for us. And while the Explorer doesn't have an outdoor forward viewing area, which we'll miss on this cruise with its spectacular scenery, we like many other things about the ship, especially the design of our Concierge suite. So we're feeling pretty thrilled at the moment to be here, and I'm glad you are, too. The plan is to show you a great time in words and pics, while we relish ours. Takk!

Rich

Looking forward to more of your wonderful reports. We did a similar trip on Voyager a few years ago, and it was spectacular. Next year we will get to the North Cape on Navigator. Have an excellent and safe trip!

Thanks, briar14! Here’s Jess and me. . .

Then—cranking out another issue of the SKALD aboard the Royal Viking Star in 1977. . .

7626a6c72afbfca8c6fbf00ec0c9b009.heic

. . . And Now—still a wee bit crazy after all these years (on the slalom hill across from Jess’ place outside Oslo)

1697fceb45c23e666e977fdc7882f8ca.heic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some favorite snaps from Ginny’s and my time with Jess in Oslo:

On the multi-mirrored "Path of Life" at Kistefos Museet north of Oslo.

a51ef211a3546be0556770147227f7ae.jpg

We happened by hang gliders while driving in Sundvollen, and drove into the mountains for a closer look. And what a look it was! (Photo by Jess)

46dc954d506aeee0d7853b2e51a1d309.jpg

How lucky are the kids who get to attend this kindergarten on the lake? (Lake Sem in Asker, near Oslo)

30e7854a575858a5331a9cb4943634a2.jpg

The historic mountaintop Kleivstua Hotel boasts its own beekeeper, Andy, here with his daughter. Andy offered us free tastes of the just-harvested honey, and then gave us a container to take home.

616b35ff6d33585c9942affb6465378c.jpg

Vigeland Park, featuring the life's work of sculptor Gustav Vigeland (more than 200 pieces)is an Oslo "must.” (Photo by Jess)

2a4f0336d9efe6cd821a59a71d60f960.jpg

View at midnight from Jess' porch. While Oslo is located too far south for residents to catch a glimpse of the Midnight Sun, window shades are still mandatory at this time of the year if you want to sleep.

da119e2e53e3e86edaa77ed2c4c7e2a8.jpg

A few more from Oslo. . .

Gry, a former Norway national cross country team member, prepares svele, a southern Norway pancake-like treat, at Baerums Verk, a historic ironworks turned artisan center near Oslo.

b205052869f36bb65339cdd4766bade2.jpg

Songsvannet (Lake Songe) is one of the Oslo area's dozens of lakes popular with locals for swimming, sunning and hiking. All parking is free at Oslo area recreation centers, to encourage residents to get outdoors.

61353d49d16746d51618f8f9f8de7b2b.jpg

Downtown Oslo's newest district, Bjoervika, is in the midst of a mega building boom. The harborside area was all but unrecognizable to us from our 2012 visit.

8edbf31f1f3faa175716c1a86020995a.jpg

At work on a Viking ship replica, the Klastadskipet, slated for an epic 2019-2023 voyage spanning the North Cape, Mediterranean and British Isles (Tonsberg). Photo by Jess.

c7dbd9961269cb89d10b9be48dc2a72f.jpg

Early lighthouse at Verdes Ende (World's End) at Tjome.

758655c50d6f7e213d7c15b3e4c01913.heic

The "Official Kissing Bench" at Tjome. OK, we're game!

9192e690a05b8782f408094e7c8770c1.jpg

Wow! Another cruise-along with you and your lovely wife, Ginny. We look forward to your reporting and your pics. Enjoy your cruise and keep posting!

Z and TB

OH BOY! Yes, I knew you were headed to Norway, but I didn't think it was until later in the summer. I apologize for not getting the rest of the RVL materials to you sooner. Maybe it will be something to look forward to when you return.

Loving all the photos....John and I have been to Norway before and it's always been one of our favorite places. LOVE Vigeland Park!

Looking forward to more!

Hugs all around,

Linda

Hi Rich & Ginny, echo Mudhen’s “Oh Boy” another thread treat with Ginny and you & Norway—the cherry on top of the blog sundae.

Fair Winds and Following Seas—hope you have an absolutely stunning Norwegian voyage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Rich and Ginny.

We will miss you on our Copenhagen- Amsterdam cruise. Although I love the Explorer, we wanted the full Monty, including the North Cape and Murmansk Russia, so we will be on the Navigator early August.

Enjoy. Look forward to all your fun stuff.

Regards

Sheila

Peggy, Roberto, Linda (Jess loves you already for the RVL aquavit glasses!), Wes and Sheila (congrats on going for the North Cape "Full Monty"), big takk and great to have you cruising along!

Driving into Copenhagen yesterday I couldn't help but observe bikes, and more bikes. So many bikes that it was no surprise to drive by a four-story-tall ad draped over a building under construction that declares: "Every day the people of Copenhagen bike 35 times around the globe. Isn't that wonderful."

But it isn't wonderful, if, distracted by this and that sight, a visitor strolls into the path of a cyclist, so we've been cautioned by Jess to keep our eyes open at all times when crossing a street. So far so good, but a cobble from one of the many downtown cobblestoned sidewalks got Ginny shortly after we took off from the Kong Arthur, and she went down hard. Thank goodness she was OK and we were soon taking turns photographing buildings, a park, and this one of hollyhocks and a bike:

30bb89266f25ed9bd7a2e840f6c2baff.heic

Dinner was in the Latin Quarter at a new place called the P Eatery. Jess' and my entree was simple and superb, fresh cod with peas in a mild mint sauce. Jess lauded the peas, tasting as if they've just been shucked and cooked al dente, as just as good as mom used to make.

23a824bfb1d1b8d6ac7478858fe91f99.jpg

After we returned to our comfy room at the historic King Arthur, located across the street from Peblinge Lake, Jess paid a visit to let us know he'd just connected with his nephew Steffen, a local resident, and was able to confirm that he'd be joining us on some of the excursions Jess has meticulously planned. This is good news as I've been anxious to meet this special young man who, at the tender age of 30, has already served in Afghanistan, taught kindergarten, and is set to receive a diploma on Friday. I'm looking forward to learning more about his studies and future plans.

Rich

Rich and Ginny we miss you! Norway is on our list for 2020 so we will follow along with great interest. We want to explore on a small ship, however, and we don’t want to go on the Navigator, so we will probably jump cruise lines. Eagerly looking forward to your posts.

Jennifer & Georges

Thanks, Jean, Jennifer and Georges, Boatmans Lady and Got2cruise! Jennifer, I'm thinking that Jess might have some Norway small-ship cruising ideas for you and Georges--will ask!

I keep hearing about this Little Mermaid. I think I spotted her today in Inderhavnen, gazing at the Royal Opera House??

a6d0774b10331661e966a78951332e9e.jpg

It must be her! She's delighted I recognized her!!

41921253dd450e1f926662b9a42cdbe7.jpg

OK, I got the scoop. Her name is Linda, and she is a concert violinist from Germany who played in the orchestra in a Royal Opera House production a year ago. She saw us photographing her so she swam over to say hi (Jess was over the moon!) and to sweet talk us into texting her our photos. We'll oblige!

319a4d7ffe61a2a228e742883ffe96a4.heic

Edited by Mr Rumor

Hi Rich and Ginny - I'm a bit late to the table - hope that there is another seat.

Although all of your photos are fabulous, the one of you and Jess in your younger years takes the cake:D. Thanks so much for posting those photos.

I see others on this thread that were on the infamous first Explorer crossing with us. Maybe we should do a reunion cruise on Splendor!

Dennis and I both will be following your thread (unusual for him). Enjoy every moment in one of our favorite parts of the world.

Thanks for the Bon Voyages, Gerry and Susan and Mark—delighted to have you along!

Jennifer, Jess is high on Hurtigruten for its 12-day Bergen-Kirkenes itinerary: “The ships today are really beautiful, and I think by 2020 two new ones will be in service.”

Jackie, glad you enjoyed that vintage photo of Jess and me. A passenger shot it and mailed it to us, and it’s a treasure to us now. Hope you and Dennis will continue to enjoy the smorgasbord of notes and pics!

Poss, I’ve only posted sporadically in Roll Calls over the years—just never got in the habit. That said, I love joint blogs and would welcome your and other Roll Callers’ participation on this thread!

At the intersection of Norve Sogade and Fredericksborggade (near the Kong Arthur Hotel) this morning. . .

Red light. . .

9d06717a5c462c8184a5dcc00cac13e7.jpg

Green light!

f54642a08098900f8249235c4cedd476.jpg

Help!

542250f34356f5533d22bc9a1af60e73.jpg

Love all the great pictures Rich. We thought the northern area up to the Northkaap was the best part of our cruise but, sure you and DW will have a wonderful time at the ports we missed. Hope you are taking the train in Flamm. Be sure to get off and take some pictures when the train stops at the waterfall. Really nice.

Bon Voyage, fair winds and following seas,

I followed your other post and really enjoyed your trip----looking forward to this one, thanks so much for taking the time to write. In fact to be honest we never posted about our cruise until we had so much fun reading yours---that said we posted our first cruise because of you. It just looked like you were having to much fun----so thanks again, we can't wait till our next cruise, but until then your post will be great.

Wes, thanks for letting me know about Hellesylt--I'll be sure to have a good report in words, and especially pics, for you.

As for your fave vehicle, I have some info coming on electric cars courtesy of Jess, so keep reading this space! For now, I agree that Teslas fit Oslo to a T as we saw them everywhere. And the charging stations, such as this one on the road to Vasset, are correspondingly impressive:

0dc0e057982dc7b7f41b23601802ec89.jpg

Dave, glad you're aboard for this blog! Jess counseled me on my excursion picks--saving me $388 in Regent Choice excursion charges in the process--and he strongly recommended the Flam Railway to Vatnahalsen. I'll be sure to have my camera and iPhone blazing at the waterfall stop.

Rick and Ron, I'm delighted to know that past editions of Random Notes played a small role in your decision to start live-blogging as well. Have really enjoyed your two Regent cruise blogs, and look forward to the third. Thanks for tuning in!

Yesterday was 22,299 steps' worth of fun exploring Copenhagen. Here are several snaps to let you know what we were up to in addition to our encounters with the swarm of bicyclists and "Little Mermaid":

I was disappointed when I got my DNA results and didn't see Dagwood Bumstead as a possible second or third cousin, given how much I love to feast on Dagwoods and every other kind of sandwich. So visiting the nearby Torvehallerne (marketplace) and beholding this amazing collection of Danish open-face sandwiches was a big deal!

3f41836ac3e2e7d226ebd25c0b89a146.heic

After Jess' nephew Steffen joined us, Jess took a trip down Memory Lane by showing Steffen, and us, the Copenhagen apartment he spent the first few years of his life in:

c5c45dcdbb5007cde3dc84a037d0c814.jpg

It's hard not to take a halfway decent photo in Copenhagen's iconic Nyhavn (Inner City)--just point and shoot:

d495549781823e380b6cdc5fb800b3ce.jpg

After a late afternoon break back at the hotel, we hit Tivoli Gardens, where we took in a few minutes of the Wednesday night pantomime performance of Hans Christian Andersen story snippets:

27c39232db5a681c7c1d9416e6ef1bf6.jpg

We then enjoyed a leisurely delicious dinner of Danish favorites at Steffen's favorite Tivoli restaurant, Paafuglan, followed by the evening light show on the lake before bidding Tivoli, and the day, adieu:

97c97ecc3c474214efe1832ca3e7089d.jpg