Rome Excursion

irenedee

Need some help choosing a Regent Excursion in Rome. ( we prefer to not do it on our own)

Our short list has two Choice Excursions:

The Best of Rome and the Vatican - lunch on your own

Christian Rome and the Vatican - lunch included

I would love to hear from Regent cruiser who may have participated in either of these excursions

With thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Need some help choosing a Regent Excursion in Rome. ( we prefer to not do it on our own)

Our short list has two Choice Excursions:

The Best of Rome and the Vatican - lunch on your own

Christian Rome and the Vatican - lunch included

I would love to hear from Regent cruiser who may have participated in either of these excursions

With thanks

Even though you said you didn’t want to do it alone, I have heard great reviews on the hop on hop off busses. Long day though. Have fun

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In July, we did the Rome and Vatican choice excursion. I heard good things about Taste of Rome, and I think I would have been happy with that one, which is a free excursion.

Not thinking Vatican and July, is not a good mix. Because the guide can not talk in the Sistine Chapel, all the explanation was outside in the heat. One gentleman had to tell her that was enough and let us go inside. The crowd made it a cattle drive through it. I will have to to back to Rome to feel like I saw the Sistine Chapel. The tour through St Peter's was very good. Our tour guide on the Rome bus was the best one of our excursions. You get a different guide at the Vatican.

You have a stop and get off at Peoples Square. You have enough time to see the Spanish Steps, and Trevi Fountain, plus eat a great pizza or pasta lunch. There is a lot of high-end shopping around the square. I think they gave 2.5 hours to explore and get lunch. We were at our meeting place 15minutes early and didn't rush.

So if you trip is not July of August, you will enjoy The Best of Rome and Vatican.

I have to add, Rome was not my favorite stop.

Make sure you have an excursion for Florence old medieval part, and Eze at the Monaco stop, if your cruise stops there.

Thank you Tulok, that was very helpful. Since I didn’t get a lot of replies, I did some research elsewhere and came to the conclusion that the crowds in the Vatican were a common complaint, some even alluded to potential emergency evacuation problems. So we decided to forgo the Vatican for now and use our $ for a paid excursion in Florence instead

We’ve been to Rome before, seen the Basilica and the other big highlights but not the Museum and Chapel - maybe we’ll catch it on a future trip

We’ve decided to visit the Etruscans instead. Sounds like a less hectic day. Especially since Rome and Florence are back to back

Irenedee,

We almost chose that one. It looks very interesting. I had not been to Rome, my husband had and he was disappointed for me because the Sistine Chapel was the main thing I wanted to see. But all wasn't lost, it was worth every penny to see Pieta.

I loved Florence and if you have little children or grandchildren the Pinocchio store - Bartolucci, is a must.

Enjoy you trip. You will have a great time.

I will certainly check out the Pinocchio store for my grandchildren. I forgot to mention that we have booked Eze and looking forward to that day too. Thanks again for your advice.

Although we have had the privilege of a few Regent cruises, this will be our first time on Explorer. I’m just as excited about that!! [emoji924]

I once spent a "lifetime" in the Vatican museum and chapel! After finally "escaping", I swore I would never go back again. Neither would the other 5 relatives/friends who were in our travel group together. The Basilica itself - sure - for about 30 - 45 minutes. But certainly not the museum and chapel! Just buy "the book" and look at the pictures!

Unless your goal is to earn a college degree in ancient/medieval Roman art - by the time I saw the 246th tapestry, along with the 120th marble statue of the "Madonna and Child" (surrounded by all the angels in the universe), I was ready to impale myself on the nearest sharp object I could find in order to put the agony to an end! :o

The 2-3 hours (which really seemed like 2-3 lifetimes) of standing in one place for long periods of time, or slowly shuffling along with the other thousands of captive onlookers, plus the heat, the absolute absence of any benches or seats to occasionally rest on, added to the seemingly endless and appallingly boring descriptions (by the our guide ) of all the minutia of each and every brush stroke, thread, and nuance in every one of the thousands of pieces of art that had to be "taken in and stared at for an interminable about of time to fully appreciate" - before the exit to the building blessedly and finally came into view!

If you haven't been to the Vatican before, I'd definitely recommend a walk through the Basilica, but I think (after visiting Rome no less than 10 separate times over the years) that there are far more interesting places to see around Rome (than wasting valuable time in the Sistine Chapel and Museum). Particularly if your time is limited.

Pingpon1, I’m not as eloquent as you but I agree about the Vatican Museum. It’s probably my least favorite museum. My problem is the need to trek past all of the repetitive displays when what I really wanted was to see the Sistine Chapel. By the time I got there I was so tired and overloaded that all I wanted to do was get out.

We actually loved the Vatican Museum but it was not scorching hot and crowded when we went there. We had a book rather than a guide so we did not spend such a long time there. For us the crowds were in the Sistine Chapel which we are happy that we saw but would likely not visit again. In terms of Rome, once we visited all of the highlights (over the course of three days), we had no desire to return to Rome and prefer the quaint villages in Italy.

Having said that, when we stayed at the Hilton next to the airport, they have a free shuttle into Rome so we did go there and had a wonderful lunch with a bottle of wine in a taverna and enjoyed it very much.

The way to do the Vatican without the crowds is do it privately on off hours. We have done this twice and that was enough! Even privately we were getting bored as we have been to Europe many times and have been to church more than when we were growing up. So we made amends the days we skipped mass. All is forgiven.

You can get a semi private tour of the Vatican, the tour is max a 8 people. Starts at 3:00pm and you see a lot of private areas not open to the public---than as the Vatican closes you go to the Sistine Chapel for 1 hour (only the 8 people tour) and the tour guide explains and answers any and all questions. As your leaving they take you thought the public areas without any other tours to the exit. Just great and once in a life time experience.

You can get a semi private tour of the Vatican, the tour is max a 8 people. Starts at 3:00pm and you see a lot of private areas not open to the public---than as the Vatican closes you go to the Sistine Chapel for 1 hour (only the 8 people tour) and the tour guide explains and answers any and all questions. As your leaving they take you thought the public areas without any other tours to the exit. Just great and once in a life time experience.

That is a great way to do it

Is it just me or are we not answering the TS's question????? The TS wants to do a Regent excursion and has listed two that were of interest to them. They did not ask for independent tour information. Hopefully, someone that has actually taken those Regent excursions will speak up!

irenedee:

You will make a wise decision to eschew Rome during the heat of summer, with attendant summer crowds, and go for the Etruscan Tombs tour, which I have--on another Thread--characterized as "Tombs with a View". . Brief background:

Have spent extended time at Rome (precruise on either Regent or Silversea at local boutique hotels) on two previous occasions. These were in late September or October time frames, thereby avoiding excessive heat and tourists. Thus, able to have relatively-calm time at the Vatican, to include previously-arranged semi-private tours. Yes, we paid for these; but, it was worth it. The latest at Sistine Chapel was after total restoration had been completed as to the ceiling. A unique experience, when the Official announces "Silence" in English and three or four other languages. So--

As to Florence--similar experiences. Both were on Regent excursions, for which we paid additional. But, again, worth it. Guided tours, avoiding long waiting lines to view a Museum and The David; and a great lunch at the former residence of one of Napoleon's relatives.

Therefore--when on Explorer in 2017 on the Miami to Venice segment(s)--there was an included Etruscan Tombs tour (no additional charge). This was advertised as a day-trip; then, a "stop at a country farm for a light lunch" before return to the ship. I opined, at length, on this aspect on another Thread. But, time, tide, and diminished recall--cut to the chase.

Take this Tour. We had one of the greatest experiences of any tour on Regent, or other 5+line. Professional driver; engaging Tour Guide; and that "light lunch" turned out to be a complete gourmet event featuring all produce raised (four-legged) or grown on that farm. Complete with three different white and red wines, also locally produced. There were about 24 of us on that tour. Everyone was raving about the experience upon return to the ship at about 1600H. No room left for tea on that afternoon.

Took many pictures of the actual tombs portion. These are poignant, as they show art and remembrance of families for the period predating the rise of the Roman Empire. Therefore, a strong Grecian and North African influence.

For sure, our cruise evaluations reflected the above.

GOARMY!

Thank you Tulok, that was very helpful. Since I didn’t get a lot of replies, I did some research elsewhere and came to the conclusion that the crowds in the Vatican were a common complaint, some even alluded to potential emergency evacuation problems. So we decided to forgo the Vatican for now and use our $ for a paid excursion in Florence instead

We’ve been to Rome before, seen the Basilica and the other big highlights but not the Museum and Chapel - maybe we’ll catch it on a future trip

We’ve decided to visit the Etruscans instead. Sounds like a less hectic day. Especially since Rome and Florence are back to back

I think you have made a wise decision.

July is a very busy time at the museum and you also have the heat to deal with. I also believe that one of the challenges with a Mediterranean cruise is to pace oneself. I know that we try to avoid back to back full day tours.

You will see something interesting and yes it will be far less hectic.

May sometime you will get back to Rome and September and April/May are great times. Possibly if it is a pre or post cruise you could look at private tours that focus on exactly what you still want to see.

In the meantime, a good choice and this way you will be able to focus on a full day touring of Florence which will also be crowded but again so much to see.

Enjoy.

Keith

Is it just me or are we not answering the TS's question????? The TS wants to do a Regent excursion and has listed two that were of interest to them. They did not ask for independent tour information. Hopefully, someone that has actually taken those Regent excursions will speak up!

Not really, people should have options just in case they find something interesting to make their holiday super special. I know I like to keep my options open and then make my choice. You can't get enough information when you want to make a decision. But that's just my opinion.

Not really, people should have options just in case they find something interesting to make their holiday super special. I know I like to keep my options open and then make my choice. You can't get enough information when you want to make a decision. But that's just my opinion.

Agree completely Rick/Ron.