Appropriate Dress Question

I am new to Regent. We are sailing Honolulu to Sydney in Nov. I understand the evening dress code, but here's my question... I have some nice Tommy Bahama shirts with a "decoration" on the back. These are not gaudy or inappropriate, but very nice shirts, I'm sure many of you have seen what I'm talking about. Is this appropriate for dinner or too casual? Also what about nice, more muted, aloha style shirts?

No problem either way, just trying to decide what to bring or not. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I think they would be fine for Sette Mare. For the other restaurants, though they technically are within the dress code, I feel they are too casual. I would not let my husband wear one to dinner in the other restaurants.

But as stated, they are technically within the dress code, so you wouldn't get kicked out as long as you were wearing nice slacks ( as opposed to jeans).

Agree with Rachel - they are within the dress code but I would prefer that my DH not wear that type of shirt. OTOH, I have seen some polo shirts that are really awful (stretched out, etc,) and would prefer Tommy Bahama to those. You will see these type of shirts as well as polo shirts at night but the majority of men wear dress shirts (long or short sleeved).

Going against the grain here, but I don't see a problem with a subdued Tommy Bahama shirt, on occasion, in the MDR. I wouldn't let John wear them all the time, but every so often, I don't see an issue. Most definately in Sette Mari and on deck. Some "Tommy's" out rank a dress shirt and for the most part are much more interesting.....not talking hula girls and convertibles, but classy Tommy is fine with me any day.......only MHO.

Going against the grain here, but I don't see a problem with a subdued Tommy Bahama shirt, on occasion, in the MDR. I wouldn't let John wear them all the time, but every so often, I don't see an issue. Most definately in Sette Mari and on deck. Some "Tommy's" out rank a dress shirt and for the most part are much more interesting.....not talking hula girls and convertibles, but classy Tommy is fine with me any day.......only MHO.

I agree, Tommy has some really subdued long and short sleeve shirts that would not be offensive at all. I think on the reception night and farewell night one could take it up a notch. Tommy shirts are not cheap either..

Thanks all. Pretty much what I thought. Really appreciate the advice. If I bring any I'll keep them for daytime around the ship or on shore.

P.S. to Fluckey... my wife only lets me THINK I make my own decisions as to what to wear... but I know who really makes them. :)

My Hubby, a retired menswear designer, wore a silk TB shirt with a clever design and saying on the last night of our Caribbean cruise in Compass Rose. (casual night ). He bought it during our excursion in Key West the day prior. Anyway, it was a big hit , in a good way :)

My DH has 2 lovely silk TB short sleeved shirts and i am definitely good with him wearing either of them to dinner. They are a solid color with a jacquard pattern woven into them. I think they are fantastic, better than any collared polo shirt and he has a wide selection of those as an avid golfer.

Now he often wears long sleeved dress shirts at night but that is mainly because the MDR is chilly even for him.

My DH has 2 lovely silk TB short sleeved shirts and i am definitely good with him wearing either of them to dinner. They are a solid color with a jacquard pattern woven into them. I think they are fantastic, better than any collared polo shirt and he has a wide selection of those as an avid golfer.

Now he often wears long sleeved dress shirts at night but that is mainly because the MDR is chilly even for him.

I like TB shirts. Beautiful. However, the out of style versions of the past decade , had huge logos on the back with scenes. They were loud. Today most of their products are solid and in fashion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

With all of this talk about Tommy Bahama shirts and since I have never liked the "look" (except in Hawaii or Tahiti and when we sail with Mudhen and her DH since his shirts are classy), I looked up the website https://www.tommybahama.com/en/c/men-shirts-linen_shirts?q=:relevance and did not find anything much different than before.

I suppose if you like tequila, parrots or pineapples on your shirt, it's fine. However, for less than the price of a Tommy Bahama shirt, one can have a made to order dress shirt in a variety of fabrics and with initials on your sleeve (if that is your thing). The best part is that it fits perfectly - no matter what your size is. Personally I prefer the look of these shirts https://www.moderntailor.com/?aic=ZKJSCS4

Edited by Travelcat2

After my cruise on Celebrity last month, I would have welcomed more men in these TB shirts. On a chic night, when people are encouraged to be dressed a bit nicer, the 'gentleman' next to me in the theater looked like he had just come from the beach. Chic-ly dressed in a sleeveless T shirt and 'clam digger' pants. Unfortunately no evening dress code on Celebrity, except for the main dining rooms, though not always enforced. We were in the suite restaurant Luminae and 2 men were seated one evening, they were in shorts.

Just went today to the mall and stopped by the TB shop. They have beautiful shirts with no tropical designs on them and look very nice. Boy those prices are high but they look good and made of 100% silk so they need to be dry cleaned. The Internet does not give you all the styles. I don’t buy clothes online especially expensive garments we trek to the store.

TB is perfectly fine and has been selling high end clothes for many years. They sell slacks as well and many other clothing items. Yes, including jeans.

Nobody should have a problem with a nice silk shirt or a long sleeve shirt. The only problem with silk is it does not breathe as well as linen or cotton.

I am planning on lots of TB shirts and also Renn Spooner Hawaiian shirts on our 24 day cruise in late Nov. Of course we will be in the tropics the entire Amazon trip.

We were in the Amazon last November and I would recommend that whatever shirts that either of you wear is breathable. It is so hot and humid that whatever you wear will likely be wet by the time you return to the ship each day (but going there is totally worth it).

A couple of people have mentioned silk. Has silk made a fashion return? I remember years ago when just about every blouse I had was silk (bought many of them in Asia). Haven't seen them much in recent years. (except some lovely raw silk sports jackets, etc,). In any case, what is old always becomes new again -- especially to people that were not around the first time they were in style.

In terms of linen, it looks great if you have an iron near you - they wrinkle like crazy (as you all know). Even with included laundry, dry cleaning and pressing, the few linen items that we have stay in the closet when we cruise.

We were in the Amazon last November and I would recommend that whatever shirts that either of you wear is breathable. It is so hot and humid that whatever you wear will likely be wet by the time you return to the ship each day (but going there is totally worth it).

A couple of people have mentioned silk. Has silk made a fashion return? I remember years ago when just about every blouse I had was silk (bought many of them in Asia). Haven't seen them much in recent years. (except some lovely raw silk sports jackets, etc,). In any case, what is old always becomes new again -- especially to people that were not around the first time they were in style.

In terms of linen, it looks great if you have an iron near you - they wrinkle like crazy (as you all know). Even with included laundry, dry cleaning and pressing, the few linen items that we have stay in the closet when we cruise.

It actually never left - for those of us still in the work force who have to "dress for work", silk blouses and dresses are a mainstay - if fact, just this afternoon I purchased a silk dress (Saks Fifth Avenue is having a great sale). Looking at the Fall/winter clothing on the racks, there is still plenty of clothing made from silk.

gnomie :)

It actually never left - for those of us still in the work force who have to "dress for work", silk blouses and dresses are a mainstay - if fact, just this afternoon I purchased a silk dress (Saks Fifth Avenue is having a great sale). Looking at the Fall/winter clothing on the racks, there is still plenty of clothing made from silk.

gnomie :)

Obviously I was referring to dressing for a cruise. Silk does not breathe, linen wrinkles badly, etc. I would guess that the majority of luxury cruisers (based on the age survey) are retired and have no clue what is being worn in the workplace (especially not in New York city which is completely different than what is worn on the west coast). When people on the east coast discuss not wearing white after a certain date (no idea what the date is), people on the west coast scratch their heads since there are no such rules for us. So, based on the differences in areas, it is not surprising that there is little if any silk available in Macy's and stores in our area.

P.S. If you look at the TB website that I linked in a previous post, there is no category for "silk" shirts yet people state that they have them. I am not doubting the posters but the fact that it is not on the TB website indicates to me that they may have been purchased a long time ago (or on the east coast).

Edited by Travelcat2