Long queues for the tenders, or no?

Not familiar with Regent, but am intrigued with the size of the ships - not as large as the mega-cruise ships I'm trying to avoid. In checking itineraries, I see an "Anchor Port" icon for many of the stops. I assume this means the ship is going to transfer pax ashore via tender. The pictures show four tenders per side. Is this enough to get pax back and forth without lengthy waiting?

First, welcome to the Regent board! Compared to mass market cruise lines, Regent's tender waits are short.

If you have an excursion in port, you will be directed to report to the theater at a certain time to pick up your bus assignment tickets. Once your ticket number is called, your group will line up to disembark the ship and then go into the tenders.

Once the excursions have departed, there is not much of a line. Depending upon the port, tenders usually arrive every 15 minutes (one arriving onshore and one arriving at the ship. ) So, if you miss the tender by a minute or two, you'll have to wait 15 minutes. Each tender holds around 150 people.

Just be aware that if you are going ashore on your own (not on a Regent excursion), and you want to get off the ship at the same time that the excursions are disembarking, you must go to the theater and wait for a tender ticket - Destination Services will first ensure that all passengers on scheduled excursions are accommodated before allowing others onto the tenders. This is usually not a problem unless you have made arrangements to meet shore side at a specific time.

Once all the passengers on the excursions have made their way to shore, you just need to go down to the tender boarding area and wait for the next tender, usually no line at all.

gnomie :)

Just to reassure folks new to Regent...there won't be 150 people on the tender. That's the emergency rating where people are packed in. More like 100 max and quite efficient. There will always be some to many who stay on-board (especially at tender ports) and, as others have explained, the exodus is managed pretty well.

Yes, Regent has a very orderly system for getting the excursions out, and I've yet to see a line. By having people wait in the theater until their excursion is called, you wind up waiting comfortably rather than standing in a queue. As already explained, those not on excursions need a ticket during the "excursion rush hour" so that numbers on the tenders can be managed. After that, all are free to come and go at will, and I've never seen a problem.

Returning from shore can sometimes be a bit more of a line if a lot of excursions dump out at once, but it's never been miserable.

This stands in stark contrast to my experience on Crystal, where everyone just lines up at the gangway at once, resulting in long lines and lots of complaining.

Also, at shore side Regent always has a tent set up so that you do not need to wait in the elements. They also have a very seats available for those who may have difficulty standing.

In hot weather climates, there are always cold drinks available and in cold weather climates, there is hot chocolate to enjoy while waiting for the tender.

Even when all the excursions seem to arrive at once to return to the ship, it is very well organized and the wait is minimal, unlike the big ships where it is necessary to spend considerable amount of time in line to return to the ship.

Regent can do many things to enhance the onboard experience. However, Regent cannot change basic realities as to weather, heat, volcano eruption, civil unrest, and tides impacting prearranged shore excursions. These extraneous matters often impact folks who have signed up for an experience involving Tender travel from/back to the ship. The Captain is kept updated on all situations, to preclude stranding guests off-loaded via tender at an onshore venue.

When in doubt--cancel. Everyone remains safely onboard. That is one reality of ship cruising. Stuff happens which might not have been scheduled to happen perhaps six months earlier when booking a particular cruise.

Specific recent examples were when at Komodo Island, Indonesia in intense heat and humidity; and at Devil's Island, French Guiana. If possible, even more heat and humidity. Both required tendering. As my wife and I did (do) not consider a repeat experience to either venues--we participated in both onshore excursions, via tender. Glad we did. Numerous advisories were given guests to prepare to the trip to the beach; time ashore; and return to the ship. Those ships were either on Voyager or Navigator.

Such transport(s) were about 30 minutes in each direction. Regent staff insisted guests load up with at least a bottle of water (no additional cost) wear a hat, put on sunglasses, apply sunscreen and insect repellant, and so-on before boarding the tender. All transfers were handled with typical efficiency. Regent also set-up an onshore venue (tent, water, seats) for those awaiting return to the ship. Staff were there to assist. Greatly appreciated. Those tenders returning us to these ships ran about every 20 minutes.

So--not to worry. Just use common sense, based on the current situation, one's heath as to ability to deal with weather and sea movements likely to be encountered on a particular excursion. In any event, the Tender portion of that experience will be the least of your concerns.

GOARMY!

Speaking of realities, another reality is that there can be a whole lot of people waiting to get back to the ship (and do not all fit under the canopied area) and it can be bloody hot (or raining).

My mother always taught me to be prepared and if there is a chance of rain, to make sure I carry an umbrella.

We have never had any "horror stories" with Regent tendering. However, tendering itself is not a pleasant event -- at least for us -- no matter how well Regent handles it. The tenders are cramped and uncomfortable. Even though Regent runs them frequently the wait at the tender pier isn't much fun.

We have never had any "horror stories" with Regent tendering. However, tendering itself is not a pleasant event -- at least for us -- no matter how well Regent handles it. The tenders are cramped and uncomfortable. Even though Regent runs them frequently the wait at the tender pier isn't much fun.

Agree with you! Our experience waiting for a tender ashore has not been the same as some previous posters. The seating is so limited that you had better be prepared to stand.

I made the comment about rain because one poster said that you don't have to wait in the elements and that it is well organized. This has not been our experience in many ports. A 20 minute wait can seem like forever in dramatically hot (or cold) ports. Of course you can take an umbrella (I carry a "sun umbrella) however, in general, taking an umbrella with you (Regent's umbrella) is a nuisance (unless it is really raining hard).

IMO, tendering is a pain but a necessary one.