ports with no excursions offered by RSS navigator 11/25 rhythm of the amazon

Odile1

Hi Odile!

Here is a blog from the same cruise on the Navigator in May 2017:

http://amazonmay2017.blogspot.com/

Devil's Island is a self tour walk around the island.

Boca da Valeria is also a self tour (a pretend Amazon village)

Alter do Chao is the place that we check in and out of the Amazon. We just stay on the ship.

There is also a "Live to and from Amazon" from last November thread on this Regent Board.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2564951&highlight=Amazon

Martha

Not sure how Regent could do an excursion on Devil's Island. It is really a do it yourself island, The information that you receive onboard (via lecture that is also on your television) prepares you for what you will be seeing. We were fortunate that the ship was able to tender as 50% of the time it is just too rough in that area. In my opinion, you really need stamina in order to walk the island (or perhaps I am simply a wimp that cannot tolerate the heat and humidity).

Suggest that you prepare for the heat but don't over prepare as so many of us did. I imagined mosquitos everywhere (did not see one) and large bugs (saw one "normal" moth on the entire trip). So, I overdid the mosquito repellents (I had spray repellents as well as wrist bands). We also had mosquito hats that had netting if needed (not needed but the hats were good for covering our heads). Of all of the pounds of "stuff" that I packed for this trip, the best purchase was one that was under $10. It was a shoe covering (ankle high - lightweight) that I wore on Devil's Island as there was mud everywhere (we arrived after a rain storm). I was able to remove the shoe covering and could have washed them but threw them away.

Have a great trip.

It is well worth it to go ashore in the places where organised excursions are not offered, as long as your mobility is OK and the weather is reasonable

Here are some images of Devils Island taken during a visit in January 2016

e688b66830fb2771e74dec5972f2f0ed.jpg

5d474d4fd3d8ddc8b7a5480904ab5ffd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am lucky enough to have been on one of the three islands making up what is know as “Devils Island”. I was on the Pacific Princess about 8 years ago and had come down the Amazon from Manaus to Ft Lauderdale. Even at that time there were/are no excursions offered. 50% of the time too rough to tender. It is not developed but you are left to wander for a couple of hours..more or less left as the French abandoned it in around 1950. Extraordinarily interesting as a result. Only one tiny shop that issues a certificate of presence and sells one type of T-shirt. Needless to say I wish I would have bought a dozen. There must be some workers to keep the paths clear of vegetation but as I recall no one inhabits. Mike

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am lucky enough to have been on one of the three islands making up what is know as “Devils Island”. I was on the Pacific Princess about 8 years ago and had come down the Amazon from Manaus to Ft Lauderdale. Even at that time there were/are no excursions offered. 50% of the time too rough to tender. It is not developed but you are left to wander for a couple of hours..more or less left as the French abandoned it in around 1950. Extraordinarily interesting as a result. Only one tiny shop that issues a certificate of presence and sells one type of T-shirt. Needless to say I wish I would have bought a dozen. There must be some workers to keep the paths clear of vegetation but as I recall no one inhabits. Mike

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well, we are two for two getting on Devils Island and people do live there if only for a short time before taking a boat to the mainland which isn't too far. We were last there in November and people were refurbing the church, saw maintenance people in little trucks doing maintenance. There is a hotel with a dining room, that is where the small gift shop is which is the only AC on the Island. Between the hotel and the old hospital there are quite a few small cottages where people are living and people do vacation in the hotel/motel which appears to have about 30 motel style rooms. There is an active post office and a helipad for evacuation. The island has to be evacuated when Arianespace launches from the coast of French Guiana. You can see the launch towers from the west side of the Island. No other businesses so nobody to do tours. The provided maps are very good. A bit of a hike to the top of the Island where the prison was, people live, the hotel, hospital, post office, church, etc.

Nice way to tour at your own pace for a day.