Reduces Service Charge (or OBC) if no Room Steward Service all week?

Totally agree with Island Lady! Plus, if we can afford to cruise, then a $60 voucher is certainly nothing to get excited about, IMO.

Thanks...and that's for sure! ;)

60.00 voucher...worth maybe one dinner out for two without adult beverages.

Cabin attendant to spoil us for the entire cruise....priceless! :hearteyes:

On our last cruise on Liberty in January, our steward was above and beyond for us. We just loved her and gave her additional tip. When we came back from the last night dinner, she wrote a letter, not a note saying how much she enjoyed taking care of us and how much respect we showed to her. We thank our stewards by trying to keep the room neat for them, that is also looked at as an additional tip. They work hard for their money, that's for sure. I know some people think well maybe the cruise line will get the picture if I withhold tip so they will pay employees more. That isn't going to happen, it has been this way for decades.

Gee, I guess I was raised wrong. Going forward, I'm going to make the biggest mess in my cabin and demand service three times a day, making the steward work for his money. After all I AM on vacation.

:confused: Do you really feel this way?

:confused: Do you really feel this way?

Of course not, I guess I am the odd man out. It seems everyone is on "vacation" and expects maid service all around.

I am very low maintenaince, I do not need or want my cabin steward to spend more time in my cabin than necessary. I can straighten my bed, pick up my towels, and YES even take my used dishes back to an area where they can be addressed by staff. I only require service on the schedule they keep, such as replacing towels and changing bedding, and a good vacuum. Upon meeting my steward, I explain our needs and always get a smile and a thank you.

I would never take compensation of any kind in lieu of having daily cabin service.

But aside from people's personal needs and wants, doesn't it seem rather unsanitary to not have a cabin regularly cleaned by the steward? On a cruise ship it's so easy to spread germs and disease, I think that having the cabin cleaned is quite necessary. The bathroom needs a wipe down, towels harboring bacteria and viruses need replacing, the floor needs cleaning etc. If everyone on a cruise was just stewing in their own filth all week, what would that lead to????? (FWIW, I'm very much a neat freak and keep my cabin spotless and make the bed, organize, etc. But I still want my room serviced at least daily.)

I would never take compensation of any kind in lieu of having daily cabin service.

But aside from people's personal needs and wants, doesn't it seem rather unsanitary to not have a cabin regularly cleaned by the steward? On a cruise ship it's so easy to spread germs and disease, I think that having the cabin cleaned is quite necessary. The bathroom needs a wipe down, towels harboring bacteria and viruses need replacing, the floor needs cleaning etc. If everyone on a cruise was just stewing in their own filth all week, what would that lead to????? (FWIW, I'm very much a neat freak and keep my cabin spotless and make the bed, organize, etc. But I still want my room serviced at least daily.)

Yeah, there is only so much you can do without cleaning supplies, and who wants to clean on vacation? Not me.

We're pretty tidy, but those garbage cans are tiny, and the size of the room does not lend itself to accumulation of food, dirty linens, etc.

I think we would do this, yes. We often ask them not to constantly replace our towels, as it's such a waste to use them only once.

Most Stewarts on my recent cruises say if you want towels replaced, leave them on the bathroom floor, if they are back on the towel bar they don't replace them.

Hi John, Hi Irene! :D

I was just recounting one of your stories the other day to a friend.

We had to cancel our Harmony this December before we got to final payment. Life got in the way. Next up for us is Symphony in Dec 2018.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If everyone on a cruise was just stewing in their own filth all week, what would that lead to?????

Filth Stew for Two?

I wonder how folks have the time and/or money to sterilize their own homes every day to avoid living in filth.

But there are valid points brought up by some when compared to a land based vacation that might not have very many people going for it, at least not for only $60. Ships don't have easy access to ice machines on every floor. Trash cans are smaller inside the stateroom and out. If a higher number of people take up the offer than the law of large numbers predicted, its not easy to call in extra help. And it is nice to find a made bed even if the same filthy sheets were just rearranged. A toilet with minty fresh breath is priceless.

We all keep the rooms picked up/neat and rarely eat in our rooms so I would consider it. As it is, on land vacations we typically refuse turn down service and generally put the DND sign out and just have the room made up/fresh towels every other or every third day depending on what we are doing during the day. We always get extra towels on the first day and other than emptying out the trash and changing towels we don't usually need much else.

It has been quite a long time since we have stayed in a hotel with an ice machine or similar. So we just call for ice when we need it. In the rare event we eat in the room we also just call for them to come pick up any dirty dishes. Usually it would be in the evening anyway, so I wouldn't want them sitting all night. But in a hotel we typically eat in the lounge and on a ship we would head somewhere else to eat. Just personal preference there.

Edited by 3monkeys4me