Room service: regular burger and no diet coke?

rabidstoat

I ordered room service on Navigator of the Seas, just going off the supposed room service menus I saw online. It was the standard $7.95 fee.

I tried to order a cheese steak but they said they didn't have that. So okay, I ordered the burger. I thought this was the 8 oz Waygu beef burger, but what I got was just a plain old quarter pound burger, extremely well done, on a sad bun.

Then I ordered a diet coke, acknowledging I'd need to pay $3 (apparently $3.25 now?) for it. I really wanted a diet coke. Well, what came was caffeine free diet coke. The server went off to get a regular one, and when he came back he said all room service had access to was caffeine free diet coke or regular coke, but no diet coke. Does that sound right? It just sounds really odd that there's no diet coke at room service, I've seen cans all over the bars.

Well, I really hope they remove the soda charge as I didn't take it, I wanted a regular soda.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows anything about the soda choices for room service. That just seems odd. And if the burgers have been changed and aren't the nice 8 ounce burgers with Waygu beef and sauteed onions and stuff described on the menu? Granted, this was a 2:30am room service order but I wasn't warned that the menu was different.

I'll probably end up at room service anyway as I had dining reservation troubles as well. I had a 5:30 seating but no table assigned, so I ended up waiting 45 minutes for a "temporary" table. Others had the same issue. Our wait was so long as it was the first night and only one person assisting people, and they were handling all the people who wanted to switch to early dining before the ones who were missing a table, as we originally got sent to a different line upstairs.

Well, I really hope they remove the soda charge as I didn't take it, I wanted a regular soda.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows anything about the soda choices for room service. That just seems odd. And if the burgers have been changed and aren't the nice 8 ounce burgers with Waygu beef and sauteed onions and stuff described on the menu? Granted, this was a 2:30am room service order but I wasn't warned that the menu was different.

I'll probably end up at room service anyway as I had dining reservation troubles as well. I had a 5:30 seating but no table assigned, so I ended up waiting 45 minutes for a "temporary" table. Others had the same issue. Our wait was so long as it was the first night and only one person assisting people, and they were handling all the people who wanted to switch to early dining before the ones who were missing a table, as we originally got sent to a different line upstairs.

Was there no table number on your Sea Pass card?

Nope. The dining time was properly filled in as 5:30. There was no table number, though, the area was just blank. And there were at least five other couples it happened to. One of them commented they'd been 14 cruises on Royal Caribbean and never seen that before, so they must've been at least Diamond, and they were stuck waiting as staff would listen to the issue and then just kind of awkwardly tell them to talk to the staff member at the head of that huge line.

We’ve had that happen once. I went to the dining room right away as soon as I noticed that there was no table # on my sea pass. The person in charge checked on it and said it was because we had booked the cruise late. I told him to check the date...it was the year before, not the year of the cruise. He apologized and told us to pick any table we wanted.

Gwen [emoji3]

They confirmed me a table, supposedly, but at late dining instead of early dining. So I went back down to guest services and waited 15 minutes to talk to someone, and told them if I couldn't be confirmed for early dining like I was originally I would prefer my time dining.

What followed was another 15 minutes of phone calls and finally they told me that I had a table reserved at early dining. Suspiciously, it's the same number they claimed I had at late dining. I told them I didn't trust their table assignments and that I'd prefer my time dining but it was full they said, so I will just show up tonight and hope I don't have to wait another 45 minutes. Nobody, not even the supposed dining manager, seemed to feel like it was a problem that they hadn't assigned a number of people tables and made them wait 45 minutes to sit the first night, so whatever.

Though I had to go to guest services anyway as the room service I ordered in the middle of the night, after not eating much at dinner because I was all annoyed at the whole process, was messed up. I ordered their Wagyu beef burger that said it had carmelized onions and whatnot, and I got a burger like that serve at the Windjammer, just a plain old cheap patty on a cheap bun with a regular slice of onion and tomato and lettuce. Not what I thought I was paying eight bucks for. I also ordered a can of diet coke and said I was fine paying for it, but they brought me caffeine free diet coke. I told them I didn't want that, they went back to try to find diet coke and came back with regular coke, which I also told them I didn't want. So I took no soda can, but they still charged me three bucks for it.

Guest services seems unwilling to remove these charges, like they don't believe me. It's a $12 charge, I've had no issue paying them for drink package and internet and Johnny Rocket's lunch but having to pay for things that they get wrong, or don't even deliver at all, irks me. They say the room service manager will look into it tomorrow.

All I know is that at this point I have been on the ship less than 24 hours and 90 minutes of that has been waiting in lines at the restaurant or guest services to fix mistakes on Royal Caribbean's part. It's just frustrating and not relaxing. I mean, it's little charges, but still. And time wasted on vacation over someone else's errors is just annoying.

They confirmed me a table, supposedly, but at late dining instead of early dining. So I went back down to guest services and waited 15 minutes to talk to someone, and told them if I couldn't be confirmed for early dining like I was originally I would prefer my time dining.

What followed was another 15 minutes of phone calls and finally they told me that I had a table reserved at early dining. Suspiciously, it's the same number they claimed I had at late dining. I told them I didn't trust their table assignments and that I'd prefer my time dining but it was full they said, so I will just show up tonight and hope I don't have to wait another 45 minutes. Nobody, not even the supposed dining manager, seemed to feel like it was a problem that they hadn't assigned a number of people tables and made them wait 45 minutes to sit the first night, so whatever.

Though I had to go to guest services anyway as the room service I ordered in the middle of the night, after not eating much at dinner because I was all annoyed at the whole process, was messed up. I ordered their Wagyu beef burger that said it had carmelized onions and whatnot, and I got a burger like that serve at the Windjammer, just a plain old cheap patty on a cheap bun with a regular slice of onion and tomato and lettuce. Not what I thought I was paying eight bucks for. I also ordered a can of diet coke and said I was fine paying for it, but they brought me caffeine free diet coke. I told them I didn't want that, they went back to try to find diet coke and came back with regular coke, which I also told them I didn't want. So I took no soda can, but they still charged me three bucks for it.

Guest services seems unwilling to remove these charges, like they don't believe me. It's a $12 charge, I've had no issue paying them for drink package and internet and Johnny Rocket's lunch but having to pay for things that they get wrong, or don't even deliver at all, irks me. They say the room service manager will look into it tomorrow.

All I know is that at this point I have been on the ship less than 24 hours and 90 minutes of that has been waiting in lines at the restaurant or guest services to fix mistakes on Royal Caribbean's part. It's just frustrating and not relaxing. I mean, it's little charges, but still. And time wasted on vacation over someone else's errors is just annoying.

Very politely, ask Guest Services to make an appointment for you with the Hotel Director, and lay out your issues for him.

You'll find quality control within room service to be among the absolute worst on the ships, from ship to ship, even day to day. It's, frankly, embarrassing. The burger I had on Oasis one day a couple months ago from room service was outstanding, cooked just right, with grilled onions and a soft brioche bun. The next day it was dry as can be, no onions and a stale plain bun. The cheesesteak one day had peppers/onions with an au jus, the next day nothing.

The biggest mess was when we ordered buffalo wings. The menu stipulates (or did at the time) you could choose between asian, bbq or buffalo. The first time we ordered we asked for buffalo but they brought BBQ. Upon asking about it, we were told the chef ran out of buffalo sauce but would make it the next day. When we ordered the next day, they were excited to inform us the buffalo sauce was ready. Alas we discovered it was just the same bbq sauce with tons of hot pepper flakes mixed in. Very embarrassing for them. When we explained what buffalo sauce was, they showed up the next day with plain wings and a ramekin of Tobasco with a floating pad of half-melted butter. Absolutely disgusting. It's one thing to add the fee, which I didn't really mind, under the auspice of better variety/quality/service, but its another to utterly fail on all of that AND charge the fee.

As far as the Diet Coke, it may have been a sourcing issue. The ship only has so many cans of regular Diet Coke per sailing and perhaps they started to run out or didn't get their shipment, so they started to parse out the Caffeine Free Diet Coke to room service. Could have also been the Caffeine Free stuff was expiring so someone decided to use it. Regardless, Room Service obviously had their supply and didn't think it was worth their time to track down a regular can of it for you. I've never even seen Caffeine Free outside of the Freestyle machines, so I don't think this is a common occurrence.

You'll find quality control within room service to be among the absolute worst on the ships, from ship to ship, even day to day. It's, frankly, embarrassing. The burger I had on Oasis one day a couple months ago from room service was outstanding, cooked just right, with grilled onions and a soft brioche bun. The next day it was dry as can be, no onions and a stale plain bun. The cheesesteak one day had peppers/onions with an au jus, the next day nothing.

The biggest mess was when we ordered buffalo wings. The menu stipulates (or did at the time) you could choose between asian, bbq or buffalo. The first time we ordered we asked for buffalo but they brought BBQ. Upon asking about it, we were told the chef ran out of buffalo sauce but would make it the next day. When we ordered the next day, they were excited to inform us the buffalo sauce was ready. Alas we discovered it was just the same bbq sauce with tons of hot pepper flakes mixed in. Very embarrassing for them. When we explained what buffalo sauce was, they showed up the next day with plain wings and a ramekin of Tobasco with a floating pad of half-melted butter. Absolutely disgusting. It's one thing to add the fee, which I didn't really mind, under the auspice of better variety/quality/service, but its another to utterly fail on all of that AND charge the fee.

As far as the Diet Coke, it may have been a sourcing issue. The ship only has so many cans of regular Diet Coke per sailing and perhaps they started to run out or didn't get their shipment, so they started to parse out the Caffeine Free Diet Coke to room service. Could have also been the Caffeine Free stuff was expiring so someone decided to use it. Regardless, Room Service obviously had their supply and didn't think it was worth their time to track down a regular can of it for you. I've never even seen Caffeine Free outside of the Freestyle machines, so I don't think this is a common occurrence.

A real cheeses teak NEVER comes w aus jus.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

A real cheeses teak NEVER comes w aus jus.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Agreed! Also "real" buffalo sauce isn't bbq with red pepper. The point is they hire chefs who have never seen or even heard of the dishes they are taught to make before. It is then nature of the business but at the very least there should be some quality control to explain these things.

I checked my balance and they did remove my messed up / non-delivered room service charge.

They also said that they should have diet coke at room service. It wasn't just the delivery guy not making an effort to track it down, he went off and came back with a regular coke as an alternative and said there was no diet coke. I don't know how he couldn't find one since there are 100s of cans on the boat. Very weird.

If not resolved... wait until you get home and call guest relations. I cannot waste my time waiting in the ridiculous lines that are at GS, and I have had several issues over time that I had to call for. Mostly, it has been being charged for a drink that was covered by the package, but there have been other small issues that were not worth my time in line. Every single time guest relations in Miami have solved the issue, and issued a refund when appropriate.