Double Check Your Itinerary

rocky3

Just a heads up, we just got back today We chose this cruise for the destinations and called several times because we were concerned about the effect of the hurricanes. We were told at the call center that a decision would be made by 30 days before the cruise of any itinerary change, we called 28 days before and were told we were still going to Puerto Rico & St. Marten. We expected a change and were really suprized that the itinerary did not change We were never notified of the change and discovered it had changed once we were on the ship. We made plans in the other ports that we were not able to follow and never had an opportunity to make plans for the ports we ended up visiting. We spoke to other guests that said they received e-mails, so we double checked when we got home today and did not receive anything. This is very poor communication on their part. I did however get plenty of e-mails to buy the drink package. So double check!!!! and then triple check!!!:cool:

Did you book directly through Royal or through a travel agent? If booked through a travel agent all emails go to the agent (or more accurately, the agency email) I've noticed quite a few travel agents don't realize this, and think they never got an email when it was because the agency email is set to their parent company who actually made the original travel seller's contract with Royal.

Just a heads up, we just got back today We chose this cruise for the destinations and called several times because we were concerned about the effect of the hurricanes. We were told at the call center that a decision would be made by 30 days before the cruise of any itinerary change, we called 28 days before and were told we were still going to Puerto Rico & St. Marten. We expected a change and were really suprized that the itinerary did not change We were never notified of the change and discovered it had changed once we were on the ship. We made plans in the other ports that we were not able to follow and never had an opportunity to make plans for the ports we ended up visiting. We spoke to other guests that said they received e-mails, so we double checked when we got home today and did not receive anything. This is very poor communication on their part. I did however get plenty of e-mails to buy the drink package. So double check!!!! and then triple check!!!:cool:

There have been itinerary updates posted on the Royal Caribbean website ever since all the storms.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/royal/US/en_US/cruise-ships/itinerary-updates

What ship did you sail? Are your changes not listed on this link?

I would also suggest following the Roll Call here at Cruise Critic. There's usually a lot of good information and hopefully somebody would have gotten an email and posted there. That's how we found out our cruise next year on the Enchantment was cancelled. We never got an email but a bunch of people in our Roll Call did

We have been on three cruises. We have had port changes on two of the three. Once we were notified as we boarded the other was during the cruise. Things happen there was really no way they could know 30 days in advance how quickly these islands could be back up and running. The person who told you that was definitely wrong. I had seen posted many time by Royal Caribbean they were posting as far in advance as possible and they time frame was 2-3 days. Many people didn't even know their cruise was cancelled until the day of. It's tough to have changes in plans but weather happens. Maybe a land based vacation would be a better fit then the only thing you would have to worry about is airlines and that can be another whole set of changes.

RCI's webpage was very clear on dates for those ports. We were on Oasis 22 Oct-5 Nov (b2b) and have known for a while what our itinerary changes were. No San Juan and no St Maarten. It's been posted on RCI's site and here and many other locations since the storms came through. No one should be surprised at the changes and they have been widely known for a while. It's simple research.

RCI's webpage was very clear on dates for those ports. We were on Oasis 22 Oct-5 Nov (b2b) and have known for a while what our itinerary changes were. No San Juan and no St Maarten. It's been posted on RCI's site and here and many other locations since the storms came through. No one should be surprised at the changes and they have been widely known for a while. It's simple research.

While I agree that it is simple research, it really shouldn't be the cruiser's responsibility to do the research. In this case, since the OP booked with a travel agent, I put the blame on the TA. It is their job to be aware of these changes and convey them to the client. I also wish RCCL would email the cruiser as well as the travel agent, but ultimately it was the TA's responsibility.

We booked through an travel agent

I called instead of checking the web site

Yes, I understand things change and thought they probably would, thats why I called.

That is why you were not notified. Many people place a company in the middle. So you call the TA, who than in turn checks for you. I very seldom use a TA for anything and always book what I can myself. That way, I'm in control. Your TA receives the emails that you would have received if you booked yourself. They in turn should let you know.

I had a similar issue with airline tickets. A change was made, and the TA notified. But the TA does not let you know. Unlike with you, I have all the airline apps, have my info loaded, and will always check my flights. I noticed a change on my own, and after talking with the airlines, and finding out, that the TA has the email, and they can't fix it unless the TA calls, I finally was able to let the airline transfer the flight to me, and than made some changes.

Lessons are don't trust you TA to take care of you.

I agree with Havingfun,for some reason yesterday we were looking over all of our paper work for flight and cruise.Our flights and times had been changed.Flight to FLL was changed to a half later,that is why I always take an early flight.Oru return flight was changed from 1000 to 1158,which was better.So as Havingfun says keep checking all plans

I don't disagree, I will know better and check more in the future. They could however do better, both the travel agent and the cruise line. They have no problem knowing I only have 7 days left to get a discount drink package and can send a half dozen e-mails on that with a countdown to how many days, directly from RC, but nothing on the itinerary.

So I am not really complaining just putting it out there to maybe help others