Black sand beach suggestions near dock?

lvmylilypug

I'm looking for some suggestions for black sand beaches we can visit by taking an uber or taxi that is close to the dock in any of these ports: Maui, Honolulu, Kona, or Hilo. I'd rather not rent a car, or have to travel by car more than about 20-25 minutes.

We will be going in December this year, so I'm not even sure if the beaches are warm enough to be laying out on them, but that's preferable. Anyone know?

I've looked on trip advisor for nice beaches to visit but a lot of them say tourists are unwelcomed by locals. I'd like to try to avoid this issue too.

About us: unmarried but committed couple, without children, 38-41, low to moderate activity, prefer uncrowded beach.

Wow...

First of all, every month is lay on the beach weather in Hawaii. Yes, occasionally some rain falls, and extremely rarely, Hawaii gets tagged by a hurricane. But in Hawaii, standard, everyday weather is beach weather. You could Google search a couple of Hawaiian cities to confirm this...try "Honolulu December weather".

All beaches in Hawaii are public beaches. Access is permitted by law. Tourism is BIG business in Hawaii...almost everyone living there is at least indirectly affected by the tourism dollar.

I don't know every black sand beach, but south of Wailea on Maui is the first area that leaps to mind. But you absolutely don't need black sand to have a good beach day.

Some reading around this board will give you lots of good info.

I'm looking for some suggestions for black sand beaches we can visit by taking an uber or taxi that is close to the dock in any of these ports: Maui, Honolulu, Kona, or Hilo. I'd rather not rent a car, or have to travel by car more than about 20-25 minutes.

Do note that the closest beach (mentioned above) is 35 minutes away from the dock and Uber shows a $44. fare one-way.

Agree with the PP, black sand beaches are hot and nice for hiking/exploring, not lying on. The ones on Maui are not near the port. Richardson’s Beach Park appears to be near the port in Hilo but admittedly I am at the beginning of my research for my cruise next year.

Do note that the closest beach (mentioned above) is 35 minutes away from the dock and Uber shows a $44. fare one-way.

The times we’ve driven to that Makena area black sand beach (thought it was more salt & pepper) we only took photos. Being a less protected beach the ocean conditions were rougher, it was windier and as others have written rougher sand which as I recall was more like small pebbles.

OP...in Kona there aren’t many sandy beaches & searching online none are black sand. And the ones best known near Hilo may be unavailable due to volcanic activity. Decades ago we visited the black sand beach near Kalapana which later was covered by lava flows.

Winter beach erosion can change even soft sandy beaches into ones with exposed lava rocks. This happens every winter at one of our favorite beaches...Ulua located in Wailea.

We will be going in December this year, so I'm not even sure if the beaches are warm enough to be laying out on them, but that's preferable. Anyone know?

I've looked on trip advisor for nice beaches to visit but a lot of them say tourists are unwelcomed by locals. I'd like to try to avoid this issue too.

About us: unmarried but committed couple, without children, 38-41, low to moderate activity, prefer uncrowded beach.

Spent many weeks on the big island. Please keep in mind I have not been there in a couple of years. From where the tender drops you off to black sands beach is about an hour. I would suggest 2 step beach about half the distance. If you are lucky you can swim with the dolphins.

Sent from my iPad using Forums