MSC Meriviglia

Sam H

Hi,

My family and I are booked onto the MSC Meriviglia over the Christmas period. I have been searching and have enquired with MSC also (with no success), what activities will be happening on board on Christmas day? We are due to dock in Civitaveccha (Rome) on 25/12/2017, but have been told that most of Rome City attractions will be closed on Christmas Day as this is a religious holiday.

I was hoping, that someone could advise me or give me a clue of where to find the information.

Many Thanks

S :)

Not sure if this helps, but here is what I've found:

https://www.msccruises.com/en-gl/MSC/Christmas-New-Year-Cruises.aspx

http://cruiseweb.com/blog/2016/11/celebrate-the-holidays-with-msc-cruises

http://www.travelagentcentral.com/cruises/what-s-ahead-for-msc-divina-s-holiday-cruises

Christmas: MSC Divina will feature traditional decorations, Christmas trees and a gingerbread village created by the ship's pastry chefs. Christmas carols will be played and there will be a Broadway-style Christmas show. There will be a Christmas market set up onboard offering gifts and decorations for sale. Seasonal movies will be played on big screens and there will be special themed cooking classes, arts and crafts sessions and holiday parades. Santa will be onboard to present each child with a gift. A Christmas mass will also be held on the ship.

On Christmas Eve, there will be a gala dinner and a special lunch on Christmas Day, complete with holiday specialties and festive cocktails.

We were once on a cruise that docked on Christmas Day. We made sure to take a ship-sponsored shore excursion, because a lot of things that are 'closed' will magically open just for the cruise ships. If you take an MSC excursion, they will be able to 'guarantee' that you will have access to the locations described.

• 4 weeks later...

We are also on this cruise with an extended family of 8. We have all been to Rome many, many times so we weren't thinking of going there at all. I did checkout some private tour companies about going to some of the smaller hill towns like Orvieto and while the private tour companies are working ALL those small historic towns will be closed also for Christmas, so once we discussed this among the family we felt it doesn't make sense to spend the money on a private tour to anywhere when all the places are just going to be shuttered up.

I also looked into renting a mini van for self drive but all the car rentals are closed. Oh and Ostia Antica is closed as well. We all decided that Christmas Day would be a great STAY ON THE SHIP Day and for us since we would have just boarded the day before gives us an opportunity to explore the ship.

Hi,

My family and I are booked onto the MSC Meriviglia over the Christmas period. I have been searching and have enquired with MSC also (with no success), what activities will be happening on board on Christmas day? We are due to dock in Civitaveccha (Rome) on 25/12/2017, but have been told that most of Rome City attractions will be closed on Christmas Day as this is a religious holiday.

I was hoping, that someone could advise me or give me a clue of where to find the information.

Many Thanks

S :)

If MSC have any sense it will be a sea day, we did a Xmas cruise on Costa Deliziosa a few years ago, Xmas day was a sea day, Boxing day was a port call at Cagliari Sardinia, we found one restaurant open and the market.

The ho ho buses were running though.

If MSC have any sense it will be a sea day, we did a Xmas cruise on Costa Deliziosa a few years ago, Xmas day was a sea day, Boxing day was a port call at Cagliari Sardinia, we found one restaurant open and the market.

The ho ho buses were running though.

If it's a cruise they make week after week (and not a special Christmas cruise) it make sense to continue with the normal itinerary.

If not, which day shall be a seaday? December 24 or December 25? In many countries December 24 is the day to celebrate Christmas and the 25th is more like a normal Sunday.

• 1 month later...