Koningsdam's Flaws/What Can Nieuw Statendam Improve Upon?

stickey_mouse

I've read that the balconies are a bit smaller on Koningsdam than they are on previous HAL ships. How big are they? My last cruise was on the Norwegian Getaway, and the 32 sq. foot balcony left a little to be desired.
Some may be smaller but some are much larger, such as the deck 4 VF and VB. Our VF8138 was the same 6'x9' as the standard balconies on Vista and Signature ships.I believe the majority of the VC through VF are the same.

Recently we were on the Konigsdam for three weeks and loved every minute of our time on this ship. It puzzles me to read what the naysayers have to say because we did not experience most of what we have read. Yes, the toilets are at an odd angle--not a deal breaker for me. Yes, the Promenade deck is narrow. I wonder how many are aware that was not HAL's choice to design it that way. In a Q and A with the Captain, he shared that new ships are required to be designed with the life boat configuration in a certain way thus eliminating the spacious promenade that we all loved. Unlike most ships at sea, it is still wraparound. The balcony on our VC seemed a tad bit smaller and it overlooked a large balcony on Deck 4. However, for me, having your neighbors above you looking down on you is not ideal and I have to say I felt uncomfotable at times feeling like I was a voyeur when I was just sitting on mine! Lincoln Center Stage was a very enjoable surprise for us and we heard them play at least once each evening and we are not classical music afficionados by any means. Some of their offerings were certainly classical but programs were mixed with jazz, pop, and other genres. This was probably the highlight of my cruise. And the BB King All Stars were outstanding as usual and yes, they are loud but not so loud that we did not enjoy them. The energy they emit is fantastic. And the World Stage is unlike any other and in our opinion, a real design and technological wonder at sea. We thorougjly enjoyed all of the speciality restaurants with Sel de Mer our favorite because of the small, intimate space and the superb service and personal attention. That is not to say we did receive good service at Tamarind, Pinnacle, the Culinary Arts Center, or Canaletto, because we did but Sel de Mer just felt different. And then there is the Dutch Cafe which we just loved--the design as well as the offerings. Unfortunately, we discovered the Konigsbol there, a cream puff filled with chantilly cream and covered in dark chocolate. Oh, my. We would get one and ask for two forks so we didn't feel quite as guilty! And we fell in love with the pizzas at New York Pizza and Deli. We would ask them to be cooked well done and they were perfect for us. And it was a very busy venue with what seemed like other very satisfied customers.

I too was surprised that the stairs entering the aft and middle pools landed you in the deep end--only 4 feet in the middle pool--but still... That could definitely be improved upon in my opinion. I could go on and on about what we loved. Will stop here but add that we are booked on the Konisgsdam again and can't wait. She is a beautiful, new ship and if you are HAL fans, she and her sister ship will keep this cruise line moving forward into the future. And if you don't like her, I respect your opinion even if I don't quite understand the sometime harsh assessment. But to each his/her own! Happy sailing on what ever Dam ship you sail on next!

Seems to me the naysayers tend to be people who base their opinion on what they have heard from others.:rolleyes:

Yes I agree with you. The toilets are an odd angle. So what, we managed.

The deck is narrow. So what. We walked our laps and kept our elbows in, on the corners.

The ship is wonderful. So many new places and things to discover. Check it out for yourselves. Then decide.

Sandra

My biggest issue with the Koningsdam (we sailed on the Christening cruise) is the small size of the staterooms, but I don’t think that will be fixed on the NS. But I’ll let you know as we’re booked on its inaugural voyage. We loved the Main Stage and the music venues.

Tim

Seems to me the naysayers tend to be people who base their opinion on what they have heard from others.
My opinions are from first-hand experience. Some things I liked, but overall there were too many things I disliked, and won't be back. Nieuw Amsterdam is still my favorite ship.

My biggest issue with the Koningsdam (we sailed on the Christening cruise) is the small size of the staterooms, but I don’t think that will be fixed on the NS. But I’ll let you know as we’re booked on its inaugural voyage. We loved the Main Stage and the music venues.

Tim

We sailed in a verandah cabin on the K and just returned from our first sailing on the Princess Regal in the same category. The Regal stateroom size was so small compared to the K. Also the design and storage on the K is so much better. The size of the Regal cabin and tiny balcony will probably keep us from sailing on her anytime soon. The itinerary would need to be the over riding factor if we go on her again.

Good observations. I should have mentioned we were in an inside stateroom but also toured an outside stateroom and an aft balcony and both occupants commented on the tight space. On the flip side the shower was huge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

One thing I think that hurts HAL is the lack of a focal point, wow-inducing space on its public decks. I wish they would come up with a new concept for their main atrium to make it larger and more dramatic. Open things up a bit, and shift from more confined spaces/hallways to a more open layout. Just my opinion.

. I wonder how many are aware that was not HAL's choice to design it that way. In a Q and A with the Captain, he shared that new ships are required to be designed with the life boat configuration in a certain way thus eliminating the spacious promenade that we all loved.

!

This has been solved by NCL and MSC with sea view promenades and lifeboat egress on a separate lower deck. Captain fed you a bit of a line.

This has been solved by NCL and MSC with sea view promenades and lifeboat egress on a separate lower deck. Captain fed you a bit of a line.

Exactly. He might have been right about the lifeboats themselves (I think it has something to do with the new Panama Canal), but he left out the fact that HAL just didn't create a second deck like NCL and MSC did.

One thing I think that hurts HAL is the lack of a focal point, wow-inducing space on its public decks. I wish they would come up with a new concept for their main atrium to make it larger and more dramatic. Open things up a bit, and shift from more confined spaces/hallways to a more open layout. Just my opinion.

I totally agree.

Recently we were on the Konigsdam for three weeks and loved every minute of our time on this ship. It puzzles me to read what the naysayers have to say because we did not experience most of what we have read. Yes, the toilets are at an odd angle--not a deal breaker for me. Yes, the Promenade deck is narrow. I wonder how many are aware that was not HAL's choice to design it that way. In a Q and A with the Captain, he shared that new ships are required to be designed with the life boat configuration in a certain way thus eliminating the spacious promenade that we all loved. Unlike most ships at sea, it is still wraparound. The balcony on our VC seemed a tad bit smaller and it overlooked a large balcony on Deck 4. However, for me, having your neighbors above you looking down on you is not ideal and I have to say I felt uncomfotable at times feeling like I was a voyeur when I was just sitting on mine! Lincoln Center Stage was a very enjoable surprise for us and we heard them play at least once each evening and we are not classical music afficionados by any means. Some of their offerings were certainly classical but programs were mixed with jazz, pop, and other genres. This was probably the highlight of my cruise. And the BB King All Stars were outstanding as usual and yes, they are loud but not so loud that we did not enjoy them. The energy they emit is fantastic. And the World Stage is unlike any other and in our opinion, a real design and technological wonder at sea. We thorougjly enjoyed all of the speciality restaurants with Sel de Mer our favorite because of the small, intimate space and the superb service and personal attention. That is not to say we did receive good service at Tamarind, Pinnacle, the Culinary Arts Center, or Canaletto, because we did but Sel de Mer just felt different. And then there is the Dutch Cafe which we just loved--the design as well as the offerings. Unfortunately, we discovered the Konigsbol there, a cream puff filled with chantilly cream and covered in dark chocolate. Oh, my. We would get one and ask for two forks so we didn't feel quite as guilty! And we fell in love with the pizzas at New York Pizza and Deli. We would ask them to be cooked well done and they were perfect for us. And it was a very busy venue with what seemed like other very satisfied customers.

I too was surprised that the stairs entering the aft and middle pools landed you in the deep end--only 4 feet in the middle pool--but still... That could definitely be improved upon in my opinion. I could go on and on about what we loved. Will stop here but add that we are booked on the Konisgsdam again and can't wait. She is a beautiful, new ship and if you are HAL fans, she and her sister ship will keep this cruise line moving forward into the future. And if you don't like her, I respect your opinion even if I don't quite understand the sometime harsh assessment. But to each his/her own! Happy sailing on what ever Dam ship you sail on next!

Thanks for your excellent assessment of the BigK. It is nice reading positive feedback for a change. Looking forward to Norway in June.

5 Star Cruiser,

Have Passport, will travel

• 9 months later...
Looks like the walkway from a tanker ship! and then of course no lounge chairs to sit and watch the ocean go by! NO movie theatre???? Talk about a step backwards!

I thought someone mentioned exc. in the crows nest. I don't see it on the deck plans unless it in the exploration café. I had been thinking about maybe doing Koningsdam for an upcoming TA. Without a nice promenade, movie theatre and with 2600 people (way too many for me) I will be scratching this ship off my list!. I actually have a cruise booked on her in Jan. Looking at those pictures makes me less and less interested.

My wife & I enjoy walking on the Promenade, there are some good views as you go along, especially the aft portion. My understanding is that this was done to increase the number of veranda suites available, not sure if that's accurate. We've looked at some of HAL's smaller ships & we didn't care for the lanai suites, having the promendae right outside of the room. Just personal preference I guess. They do show movies at the Lido pool in the evenings along with popcorn, very nice setting especially if they leave the rood open.

We've sailed on the K-Dam twice and absolutely loved it, never felt crowded. Sailing on the Nieuw Statendam in December.

I agree! I love this ship. Going on her for the 3rd time in a couple of days. I can hardly wait.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree as well, we've sailed on the Koningsdam twice and loved everything about it. Fantastic ship and we're trying the Nieuw Statendam this December, can't wait!

(sic) Please reassure me as to whether I should go on this ship with all its "flaws"........

Go, you'll love it. All ships have some minor flaws & trade offs, a lot of these complaints are what I consider to "minor". The Koningsdam is a beautiful ship with many excellent features. I've sailed it twice and I took along 9 other family members last year, they all LOVED it.

Are the showers nice and roomy? We have a larger gentleman that usually travels with our group, and that is always a concern of his.

The shower is larger than what I have at Home! Very nice size for a cruise ship.

I loved the Koningsdam. Of course, its not for everyone. The lack of a "wide" promenade deck didn't prevent us from walking the ship, as we did that every day. The Koningsdam did have America"s Test Kitchen. Did love the modern art and gorgeous fresh flower arrangements. Excellent food as well.

As far as the lack of a movie theater, since you can stream movies on you cabin TV, why have one? I know, it's not the same...

I was on Disney Wonder when we went to the theater to watch "The Little Mermaid". It was a Blue-ray with a projector....

Having read through all the comments on this thread, I would like to put in my 2 cents worth. We have sailed on Kdam twice, once for 21 days and another with our two adult children in adjoining rooms for 7 days. We have also sailed on Zdam, and Odam and will be on the NA in November, then Kdam again in January.

While non of the ships are perfect, they are all enjoyable to us. What makes a cruise for us is the itinerary, service, food and price, in that order. HAL, in our opinion, excels in all those areas. The variety of dining options on the Kdam is a big part of why we like her. Many comments on this thread, and others, say that the NA is their favorite, and we will get to see shortly.

Not mentioned was the dry dock in December '18 where there will some reconfiguration of the "music walk" and the addition of the Rolling Stone Rock room. We are looking forward to this new music venue.

Any cruise / ship is a good cruise as long as the service is excellent, and HAL has that well handled.