Question for past passengers of the Regent's Amazon cruise

We are scheduled for the November Navigator cruise that goes to/up the Amazon. I have read several reviews on past cruises and appreciate all that I have found. Here is my question. Of all the things you packed because it was the Amazon, what turned out to be a very good idea, and what didn't work at all? And what do you wished you had packed that didn't think about? Thanks in advance.

I packed two large bug sprays which I did not need. I'm a mosquito magnet and figured I'd need lots of bug spray. Not so - Pretty much nobody had any issues with mosquitoes anywhere along the journey. Even I stopped using it on much of the trip. I would bring some if I were to go again as we did go into the forest/jungle but we would not use it on the ship or in most of the ports so one smallish bottle would suffice. Of course, others experiences may differ.

I overpacked so much for our Amazon trip last year as I was terrified of mosquitos (especially since we did not have the Yellow Fever vaccination nor do we take malaria medication - which, BTW, was not required despite what is said in the documents). So, I would not have packed a hat that has a mosquito net that comes down to your shoulders (but can be worn without the net) or the netting that goes over your clothing which is lightweight and definitely protects you from mosquitos (none of which we saw). I also packed much too much insect repellent. On the other hand, I purchased wrist bands with mosquito repellent that we both wore on our wrists and ankles when we went off of the ship. That was a good purchase as it didn't stink and was easy to wear.

It is extremely hot so I would take anything that could keep you cooler while off of the ship. I took a small ice bag and thermos that I filled with ice before leaving the ship. While it did not last all day, putting the ice bag on my wrist was very helpful. Other people soaked washcloths in cold water and we even saw people pouring a bottle of water over their heads.

A sun umbrella was also helpful (not a regular umbrella - sun umbrellas are plastic and generally have a black lining. It kept the direct sun off of me and was also lightweight and easy to pack.

One of the best things that I packed were clear plastic "rain boots" for my feet. This enabled me to walk in the mud (it was really muddy on Devil's Island the day that we were there) without messing up my shoes. The type I am referring to weight almost nothing and won't last beyond the cruise but were inexpensive.

Hope that this helps!

My husband and I were on the Amazon in November of last year,sailing on the Mariner. Of all of our travels this was so interesting. The Amazon and surrounding environment is fascinating. We did not take the Yellow Fever vaccine nor did we take malaria medication. This is not to say you should ignore medical advice. We packed special clothing and mosquitoe wipes. The only bugs we saw were in a canoe and they were spiders. Do pack head covering and cooling devices. The sun, heat, and humidity are relentless. I do not handle the heat well and was concerned. However, I did fine by keeping hydrated and using cooling towels plus cold wash cloths. I also took advantage of shade when available. I was concerned that I needed to be covered (arms and legs) but also knew I did not handle heat well. I ended wearing temperature appropriate clothing (shorts and tees) and did fine because I liberally applied sunscreen and reapplied as needed. We were not off the ship in the evening. There were individuals dressed in long pants and long sleeves that looked appropriate for jungle trekking. I researched and researched trying to decide what I would need and perhaps the most important items are sunglasses, a hat that will also protect your neck, sunscreen, cooling devices and plenty of water. We had a great time. My husband caught a piranha. Prepare for heat and have a Great Adventure.

I packed two large bug sprays which I did not need. I'm a mosquito magnet and figured I'd need lots of bug spray. Not so - Pretty much nobody had any issues with mosquitoes anywhere along the journey. Even I stopped using it on much of the trip. I would bring some if I were to go again as we did go into the forest/jungle but we would not use it on the ship or in most of the ports so one smallish bottle would suffice. Of course, others experiences may differ.

We went in may -- Also way over packed on the bug spray. Best thing I packed were walking sticks. Sometimes I have balance issues and it was REALLY muddy (aka REALLY slippery) on some of the excursions and I'm so glad I brought them.

Posting this while aboard Navigator en route from LA, via Panama Canal, to NYC. Will be at Cabo at the tip of Baja California tomorrow AM. Great trip, so-far.

Now, back on thread: We did Miami-Amazon-Miami aboard Navigator May-June 2017. Thankfully, no rain squall while at Devil's Island. Just--intensely hot. This is the primary consideration.

Sun screen--100 Level; Sun glasses, Wrap-around head cover, particularly covering back of neck. Loose-fitting long sleeve shirt and pants. Solid shoes, to "navigate" twisting brick and rock steps while on shore excursions. And, two bottles of water, each, whenever off the ship.

Follow guidance for your cruise as to required vaccinations and inoculations, given each person's medical history. In our case(s), numerous shots were necessary.

This was one of those once in a lifetime cruises, probably not to be repeated. Just be sure to include a tour of the Manaus Opera House.

Best--

GOARMY!

Go to a real Travel Medical Doctor clinic to get advice about what vaccinations and prophylactic medicines you may need. They will research into the current advisory's for each of your ShoreEx stops. Know that while the risks for malaria and Yellow fever are small, the Amazon, particularly Manaus, are very high risk areas and it only takes one mosquito bite to infect you.

Here is a link to the current US Center for Disease Control advisory. The area is called "Amazonia" Also, know that there is a current high level of Yellow fever outbreaks in Brazil. Link

And there are other infectious disease you need to be aware of including Chikungunya, Dengue, and Zika viruses.

There are Certified Travel Doctors in most large communities. Also online locators thru the CDC. Link

Don't let any of this put you off. But talk this over with a trained Travel Doctor soon.

J