MSC Seaside May 26, 2018 Part 4

FL Sunshine

Review Part 4: Ports of Call

Tuesday: Philipsburg, St. Maarten 8am - 5:30pm

I arranged a private tour of the island through Bernard's Tours via the website, weeks before we traveled. We had to pay a deposit and pay the remaining balance when we arrived. They accept cash and credit card.

I would highly recommend them. They have different tours to choose from. I chose the private so it was just our family. We were able to choose any time to meet and I chose 9 am. We were able to stop and take photos at our pleasure. Our driver/ guide's name was Daniel. He was wonderful in pointing out sights of interests. He also had an ice chest full of water, sodas and rum punch. When ever we would stop he offered us more to drink. He also offered his car phone charger to keep my phone charged.

We toured both the French and Dutch side. Like I mentioned before we observed so much destruction from Hurricane Irma.

Some of the places we saw:

Orient Beach, Marigot, Harold Jack Hill, Ft. Louis, Oyster Pond, Friars Bay and Salt Pond. We stopped at the French and Dutch border. We even stopped at a place where we could feed iguanas. No charge, tips only.

We stopped for lunch at the Sunset Bar at Maho Beach on our request. This was so much fun!! We timed it perfectly to see the bigger planes land. The biggest plane that landed was a Delta. Yes, my husband was out there and got sand blasted. It was all part of the thrill.

We stopped for some shopping time in Philipsburg on Front Street.

Our last stop was the Amsterdam Cheese and Liquor Store. The owner was very nice and the cheese samples were delicious. We bought some cheese and Dutch cookies to bring home.

The island is known for their Guavaberry Rum. There was a lady outside the shop giving out samples, but they were mixed with coconut. I don't care for coconut so she offered me a straight shot. That stuff is strong, but good.

Our driver then took us back to the ship. It was a very nice day! Again, I highly recommend Bernard's.

Wednesday: San Juan, Puerto Rico 7am - 3:30pm

I emailed the Puerto Rico Tourism Company to request a local map. They mailed me by US postal two maps and a Puerto Rico Places To Go book.

I also found a website that laid out a Self-Guided Walking Tour of Old San Juan.

PuertoRicoDayTrips.com

I used these two resources to plan our day. We were able to see a lot, but not everything we wanted. We wished this port day was longer.

Friday: Nassau, Bahamas

8am - 3:30pm

We have been to Nassau several times. This trip I was determined for us to go see the Water Tower, Queen's Staircase and Fort Fincastle.

Our original plan was to take a taxi to the Fort and walk back down to the ship. I just have to laugh... It was Nassau's Labor Day and all the shops were closed. Couldn't catch a taxi and there was a huge parade and celebration going on all day on Bay Street. It felt like the entire island was there. It was good fun to watch and listen to the bands and the whistles. But, this meant if we were going to stick with our plans we would have to walk up that big hill and back down to the ship.

We got great directions from a police officer and we were on our way. As, we were walking up we would get encouragement from locals keep going, you're almost there etc. We never felt unsafe.

I am so happy that we did this and it was worth it! Now we can mark it off of our list. The walk back to the ship was much easier. I just didn't think I would be able to walk up those 66 stairs and that's why we walked around the long way up the hill. It really was a nice walk.

If you have any questions I will try to answer. 😊

Review Part 4: Ports of Call

Tuesday: Philipsburg, St. Maarten 8am - 5:30pm

I arranged a private tour of the island through Bernard's Tours via the website, weeks before we traveled. We had to pay a deposit and pay the remaining balance when we arrived. They accept cash and credit card.

I would highly recommend them. They have different tours to choose from. I chose the private so it was just our family. We were able to choose any time to meet and I chose 9 am. We were able to stop and take photos at our pleasure. Our driver/ guide's name was Daniel. He was wonderful in pointing out sights of interests. He also had an ice chest full of water, sodas and rum punch. When ever we would stop he offered us more to drink. He also offered his car phone charger to keep my phone charged.

We toured both the French and Dutch side. Like I mentioned before we observed so much destruction from Hurricane Irma.

Some of the places we saw:

Orient Beach, Marigot, Harold Jack Hill, Ft. Louis, Oyster Pond, Friars Bay and Salt Pond. We stopped at the French and Dutch border. We even stopped at a place where we could feed iguanas. No charge, tips only.

We stopped for lunch at the Sunset Bar at Maho Beach on our request. This was so much fun!! We timed it perfectly to see the bigger planes land. The biggest plane that landed was a Delta. Yes, my husband was out there and got sand blasted. It was all part of the thrill.

We stopped for some shopping time in Philipsburg on Front Street.

Our last stop was the Amsterdam Cheese and Liquor Store. The owner was very nice and the cheese samples were delicious. We bought some cheese and Dutch cookies to bring home.

The island is known for their Guavaberry Rum. There was a lady outside the shop giving out samples, but they were mixed with coconut. I don't care for coconut so she offered me a straight shot. That stuff is strong, but good.

Our driver then took us back to the ship. It was a very nice day! Again, I highly recommend Bernard's.

Wednesday: San Juan, Puerto Rico 7am - 3:30pm

I emailed the Puerto Rico Tourism Company to request a local map. They mailed me by US postal two maps and a Puerto Rico Places To Go book.

I also found a website that laid out a Self-Guided Walking Tour of Old San Juan.

PuertoRicoDayTrips.com

I used these two resources to plan our day. We were able to see a lot, but not everything we wanted. We wished this port day was longer.

Friday: Nassau, Bahamas

8am - 3:30pm

We have been to Nassau several times. This trip I was determined for us to go see the Water Tower, Queen's Staircase and Fort Fincastle.

Our original plan was to take a taxi to the Fort and walk back down to the ship. I just have to laugh... It was Nassau's Labor Day and all the shops were closed. Couldn't catch a taxi and there was a huge parade and celebration going on all day on Bay Street. It felt like the entire island was there. It was good fun to watch and listen to the bands and the whistles. But, this meant if we were going to stick with our plans we would have to walk up that big hill and back down to the ship.

We got great directions from a police officer and we were on our way. As, we were walking up we would get encouragement from locals keep going, you're almost there etc. We never felt unsafe.

I am so happy that we did this and it was worth it! Now we can mark it off of our list. The walk back to the ship was much easier. I just didn't think I would be able to walk up those 66 stairs and that's why we walked around the long way up the hill. It really was a nice walk.

If you have any questions I will try to answer. [emoji4]

The labor day parade was awesome as it was unexpected 299cb18d385795f7f20fc88019aae424.jpg54d0773998db63e0ca9f2e0c9b368e85.jpg20d9c5ecca5d5ed6d8e47d3514b443dc.jpg90ac5093e6cdc2d812cf7fa638cf2897.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Great review FL Sunshine! We will be on this itinerary in July and I have a question about the port time for Nassau. You noted it as an 8am arrival, MSC site shows 9am (and a year ago when we booked original docs said 10:30 arrival). Understanding things change and there’s never a guarantee, but I’m curious if you can confirm were you in port by 8am? I’m trying to join a local scuba excursion and figuring out a realistic arrival time.

Thanks

Matt

• 2 weeks later...
Great review FL Sunshine! We will be on this itinerary in July and I have a question about the port time for Nassau. You noted it as an 8am arrival, MSC site shows 9am (and a year ago when we booked original docs said 10:30 arrival). Understanding things change and there’s never a guarantee, but I’m curious if you can confirm were you in port by 8am? I’m trying to join a local scuba excursion and figuring out a realistic arrival time.

Thanks

Matt

I would refer you to what your itinerary states. Yes, ours was 8am and we were in port by 8am.

Have fun!!