Carnival Dream June 10-17th.

Purvis1231

We just returned from the Carnival Dream. We had great time and would like to share a few observations.

Embarkation:

We had an 11:30 check in time but we dropped our bags off around 9:30 (we were some of the first to get our bags delivered.) We drove around the French quarter for an hour and arrived at the Fulton Streetgarageat 10 :30. The attendant told us we need go on to the port. They bused us over and we were at the port by 10:45. We recommend Fulton since we saved about $40.00 and the shuttle service was quick and painless. When we arrived at the port we found the check-in time was meaningless. We were on the ship about 11:40 without any type of priority plan. We had planned to go swimming but there was threatening weather so we found a place inside the Lido to eat lunch, meet new friends, and use of devices before unplugging. We did use the hub app and found the chat worked well. because of this app few people used walkie-talkies.

Entering cabin: We had an cabin on deck 11 in front of the Lido deck. When we arrived at 11:30, we found our room was not ready. We put our stuff down and thinking they would come back and finish so we walked around until 2:00 and came back but the room was still not finished but the bath and beds were prepared and our luggage was at the room so we unpacked. The steward never came back on the first day. I went to guest services on the second morning to tell them about the room problems we found- past guest clothes in the closet, floor not cleaned, etc. A few hours later, the steward manager found me andapologizedfor the state of the cabin and had a team come in and completely service the cabin. After that the service was as expected.

Food: we found the food to be mostly good to excellent. The main dining room food and service was great. The Lido found was mostly good. We like the deli, Guys Burgers were good but not anything special, the pizza was disappointing, the sushi was good. We enjoyed sitting watching them make it, the Pig and Anchor was just ok, theburrito/taco bar was ok, and wait time at the wok was too long to try. We did not order anything but coffee from service. I ordered the Bubbles program and drank a lot more soda than I normally would so by day five I was tired of soda but got juice. The service with the Bubbles was good at the bars but once a waiter recognized I had the Bubbles, they avoid me even though I didoccasionallygive them an extra tip. They did serve the entire can of soda and a few times it was chilled.

Entertainment: We went to two shows, one based on 80s music and the other based on movies. Both were high energy with a lot of singing and dancing. Overall we enjoyed both of them The deck glow party was fun especially for teenagers. There was always something to do on board. We won two ships on a stick, and a metal in trivia. On seadays the pools were very crowded but we enjoyed them during the evenings. We did see one child in a diaper in a hot-tub. The dive-in movies were very popular with many people.

Disembarkment: We chose a later departure time. So once they called our zone it took us about 20 minutes to get off the ship and through customs. The customs inspector berated me over my Carnival baseball hat since I did not declare it. I had to explained to her it did not have to bedeclaredsince it waspurchasedfrom Carnival online months before the cruise. It appeared she was on a power trip. there were not enough porters to carry our bags so we carried them the Fulton Street bus and made it back to the garage in a few minutes.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Edited by Purvis1231
typo

If you had no priority, why did you expect your cabin to be ready before 1:30?

I am sorry that I was confusing but our room was not ready at 1:30. We did not go to the cabin until 1:30.

Edited by Purvis1231
typo

Thanks for the review! We sail in August and will be our first time on the Dream. We normally sail from Galveston and they tend to be strict with check-in times so in New Orleans did they not check? We were a few minutes late in Galveston in Nov and they made us go in the early/late line and it took forever. Made sure after that to get there a little early but not go up the point where they check your time until it was actually the time on the dot. Thanks for the hint about dropping luggage early.

Thanks for the review! We sail in August and will be our first time on the Dream. We normally sail from Galveston and they tend to be strict with check-in times so in New Orleans did they not check? We were a few minutes late in Galveston in Nov and they made us go in the early/late line and it took forever. Made sure after that to get there a little early but not go up the point where they check your time until it was actually the time on the dot. Thanks for the hint about dropping luggage early.

I cannot say for sure they never enforce the check in time but for our cruise they did not. I noticed on the boarding passes of those sitting around us had a variety of times- from 11 to 2.

(I due apologize for the typos and the words running together. I learned my tablet is not good for typing while in a car- next time I will use Word.)

We had a similar cabin issue on the Dream last year. We had FTTF and went to our cabin sometime around 12:30 and it wasn't ready, and our luggage didn't arrive until around 6:00pm. The primary reason we buy FTTF is to get into our cabin when we board. BTW, they refunded the cost.

Edited by Schoifmom

We had a similar cabin issue on the Dream last year. We had FTTF and went to our cabin sometime around 12:30 and it wasn't ready, and our luggage didn't arrive until around 6:00pm. The primary reason we buy FTTF is to get into our cabin when we board.

I am glad I did buy FTTF.