A Question To Those Who Know The Boston or Mass. Area

margeaux

Because of all the help I received with my first post, thought I may be lucky enough to find the answer to my new question. Originally, we were planning to take the Lexington, Concord ship excursion, but due to the great advice given by members of this forum, we chose to do the Freedom Trail on our own.

Since this decision was made, my husband had another idea. Many years ago he was stationed in Danvers, Massachusetts. Really has the desire to go back and see how it has changed and to recapture some pleasant memories. His suggestion is renting a car early in the morning, drive to Danvers, spend a little time there, drop the car off in Boston and then do the Freedom Trail. Is this possible? We will be in port for 10 hours. How much time do you think we would need for the Danvers outing and how much time should we allot for the Trail? Is it an easy drive?

Would really appreciate any information? I know if anyone can help, it will be the members of this board.

Many Thanks!

Thats a possible trip... danvers is probably 45 min drive north of boston .

The problem might be car rental logitsics , there is something called zip car, about 8-10/hr, 50-60/day ... i have never used it but might be an option.

I agree in both regards; it is possible to drive to Danvers, and renting a car may be a problem. In addition, you need to be aware of rush hour traffic depending on the day of the week you'd be driving this route. If in the best of all worlds you happen to be visiting the area on a Sunday, you might figure a way to go to Danvers, return with a quick drive through Lexington/Concord and still do the Freedom Trail. However, this plan would not work on a weekday. I still think focusing your sightseeing in Boston is the best plan. There is so much to see and do there you can fully occupy your 10 hours in port and happily exhaust yourselves doing so.

Pretty sure there are no rental offices near the Pier. You might arrange with one in advance to pick you up or meet you there someway to get a car to you, though. Otherwise, you'd be spending too much time just getting your car.

Other than the Mall, there's not much to see in Danvers, I'm afraid (ducking, in case some North Shore CCers are reading this)

Just wanted to clarify, we are not taking the Lexington, Concord ship excursion. We will just be doing the Freedom Trail.

I know Enterprise has a pick up service, so we thought that might be an easy option. Was hoping we could drive to Danvers, and then drop off the car at a location near the Trail. Does anyone know if there is such a location? Then we would do the Trail at our pace and take a taxi back to the ship. Am I being unrealistic?

We are not looking for a lot to see on the Danvers trip, my husband just wants to see what it is like after all these years. As I said, just wants to recapture those memories.

Thanks for all your help!

I live in Reading (2 towns away from Danvers) & have for 51 years.

My suggestion.

EITHER the "Danvers Independent" or the "Freedon Trail Independent" are feasible. BOTH IN A DAY really are NOT.

Boston is NOT really a "drivable" city. I always subconsciously knew this but it became more apparant recently when attempting to give a guided tour of Boston to a cruise ship aqquaintance.

Pay heed to what people say abour rush hour traffic, and DAY TO DAY traffic pattern reconstruction.

If I were yo, I'd do my homework, reserve a rental car, perhaps at the airport, take a taxi cab to and from the rental pickup/drop off place, and allow PLENTY OF EXTRA TIME.

Doing a "personal independent" on your shore leave time (including GOING HOME) is a wonderful brak from the usual regimine of the sightseeing busses. I've done that knind of thing on three different occaiasions. It can be VERY refreshing. ENJOY.

..........my husband had another idea. Many years ago he was stationed in Danvers, Massachusetts............

Let me start with that I'm not an expert on Massachusetts and when you wrote "stationed" I'm assuming your husband was in the military.

Are you confusing Danvers with (Fort) Devens, MA., near Ayer MA.? I did some training at Fort Devens and was not aware of another military installation close by.

SBtS

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women.......

-- Cpt Quint of The Orca, Amity, USA

I double checked with my DH. He was stationed in Danvers, Mass at a NIKE site for 19 months, but was discharged from Fort Devens.

He would really like to go and see that area for old times sake. It was many years ago..............1957 to 1958. Since we had 10 hours in Boston, thought we could stop by for a short visit before taking the Freedom Trail, but it seems from what I read, that it is not feasible. Am disappointed. Now am wondering if we should just do Danvers.

Thanks to all who have responded.

I have another suggestion, if your husband is really set on going to Danvers. You don;t necessarily need to do the whole Freedom Trail. Many of the best sites are clustered in the Faneuil Hall/North End area -- you could get dropped off by a cab in a chosen spot and walk to several of the attractions. Faneuil Hall also has good shopping and restaurants, and the North End (with Paul Revere's house and the Old North Church) has exquisite Italian food and pastries. Charlestown with Old Ironsides is right across the bridge. Anyway, if you do a little research, you can pick which sites have the most interest for you, and go there after you return from Danvers, then see how much time you have left.

I would give yourselves at least 4 hours for the Danvers excursion--it isn't far away in miles from Boston, but traffic can be so difficult that if you give yourselves two hours of travel time and then two hours of driving around Danvers and finding where it was your husband was stationed, you will be operating on the safe side. Have a good trip.

When are you scheduled to arrive in port? Is it a Saturday or Sunday? I like the airport rental car idea. You are not far from the airport by taxi and could try to arrange it that way. You can then take a cab back to Fanueil Hall or State House area to pick up the trail - time permitting. If you are here during the work week and are not comfortable with the area (just the area around the tunnels has changed significantly since your husband was probably here last) you may want to stay away from the Danvers thing if seeing other sights is important to you. If not go for it and have fun.

• 8 months later...

You know the saying you can't go home again? I think your DH will be very disappointed if you waste a day of your cruise coming out to Danvers. I commute by the former Nike site almost every day, live in a small town next to Danvers. Danvers has changed tremendously. Danvers and the adjoining city Peabody have the most retail sq footage in the state.

The Nike site closed, and was used by the Reserve for a while. Now it's just abandoned, and not being used for anything. There is a public housing development nearby. Even Danvers State Hospital is being taken down. Just not worth coming out here for.

The drive is a nightmare, especially coming from the cruise terminal out to Danvers. You would go down Route 1, and is a nightmare to drive at all times of day and night. There are many stores, and it can get very congested. There is also an unreliable water main in Saugus along the way, that has shut down the road more than once. Plus with the big dig, the routes change all the time. It is so easy to miss a turn and end up somewhere entirely different from where you wanted to go.

Feel free to ask any questions you have, and I'll try to answer them. If your DH still wants to go, I'd head there first, in case you run into any complications. Allow yourself plenty of time to get back to the ship. If you do decide to go, I'll send you step by step instructions with landmarks. Will wait till it's closer though, cause the roads/exits still change due to construction.

Archived