NCL cancelled the Nov 27-Dec 7th 10 day cruiseon the SUN to S Caribbean from Miami!!

elruth

Just got an email from NCL re: the cancellation of the Nov. 27th - Dec 7th 2018 cruise on the SUN to the S Caribbean. I am bummed and they are offering other cruises to the Panama Canal etc. which I am not interested in. Of course they are refunding the initial down payment. I had already paid for airfare so now I have to go through all the steps to see what I can get reimbursed. Airfare is $ 436.00 a person and they will cover up to $ 300.00 a person. This cruise was such a good deal. I guess it was too good to be true!

I agree, it was an incredible deal with a ton of perks - distinctive voyage, waived port fees, etc. Disappointing. They're revising the itinerary but price hasn't been posted yet. Bet it will be hundreds more than what we booked for.

Just got an email from NCL re: the cancellation of the Nov. 27th - Dec 7th 2018 cruise on the SUN to the S Caribbean. I am bummed and they are offering other cruises to the Panama Canal etc. which I am not interested in. Of course they are refunding the initial down payment. I had already paid for airfare so now I have to go through all the steps to see what I can get reimbursed. Airfare is $ 436.00 a person and they will cover up to $ 300.00 a person. This cruise was such a good deal. I guess it was too good to be true!

This kind of posts scares me!

We are ready to book our airline tickets for our cruise in February but they will cost $2000/each (business class Stockholm-Miami-Stockholm) and I should hate to get a mail that our cruise has been cancelled after I have booked the tickets!

We are ready to book our airline tickets for our cruise in February but they will cost $2000/each (business class Stockholm-Miami-Stockholm) and I should hate to get a mail that our cruise has been cancelled after I have booked the tickets!

At that price buy the insurance the airlines offer, but check to see if this is a reason that will be covered, also read fine print on your credit card travel insurance.

At that price buy the insurance the airlines offer, but check to see if this is a reason that will be covered, also read fine print on your credit card travel insurance.

I have never been offered to buy insurance when I have booked airline tickets. I guess that if I book the tickets from a TA they have some kind of insurance I can buy but I don't have an option to buy insurance when I buy tickets online from British Airways which is my number one choice.

I have never been offered to buy insurance when I have booked airline tickets. I guess that if I book the tickets from a TA they have some kind of insurance I can buy but I don't have an option to buy insurance when I buy tickets online from British Airways which is my number one choice.

American Airlines does offer the insurance through Allianz. I called American and they will give me 6 mo to book tickets BUT a $ 200.00 penalty for each ticket canceled. Not interested! I called Allianz and the agent was quite sure a cruise line canceling a cruise did not quality a reimbursement from them. I will still file for a reimbursement and see what they do. I know NCL offers up to $ 300 pp for the ticket but you have to go through some red tape. I am so shocked this cruise was cancelled! I thought the price was too good to be true...and I was right!!

It pays to wait and book air about 45 days prior to date.

It also depends on how much you want to pay.

I looked for prices in 45 days and the cheapest option with British Airways was $3250! That was with First on the return because for some reason business class was over $4000! I don't want to pay that much so I will not wait!

I can't imagine why you would book domestic air so far out.

The flights we needed for Nov were already almost totally booked when we booked in April.! Would never be able to get seats close to the sailing date. I looked into several airlines. This flight was from Asheville NC to Miami with one layover and change of plane.

Scary, yes, especially coming from across the pond: unusual for cruise ships, not really. Things happen. The only surprise is, normally a cancellation is done at least 6 months out, this isn't quite that long. I know if our cruise out of San Juan in Feb were cancelled I would be very upset as we have purchased out air already, but I also know, sometimes it isn't a good idea to purchase air too far in advance. I do wonder why they cancelled. I doubt it had anything to do with a charter. They are normally booked further in advance. Hope something can be worked out for you.

Perhaps NCL are on to something new here, in a real bad way.

A particular sailing not selling well? Just cancel the cruise and to hell with customers and their plans/flights, who cares!

Then revisit the itinerary and reprice, naturally at a higher price.

All of the above "for you convenience", naturally. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Scary, yes, especially coming from across the pond: unusual for cruise ships, not really. Things happen. The only surprise is, normally a cancellation is done at least 6 months out, this isn't quite that long. I know if our cruise out of San Juan in Feb were cancelled I would be very upset as we have purchased out air already, but I also know, sometimes it isn't a good idea to purchase air too far in advance. I do wonder why they cancelled. I doubt it had anything to do with a charter. They are normally booked further in advance. Hope something can be worked out for you.

I will buy the tickets and hope for the best!!! Nothing else to do!

Perhaps NCL are on to something new here, in a real bad way.

A particular sailing not selling well? Just cancel the cruise and to hell with customers and their plans/flights, who cares!

Then revisit the itinerary and reprice, naturally at a higher price.

All of the above "for you convenience", naturally. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

oh come on now, you know that is no the reason for a cancellation, especially 6 months out. No one knows how well the ship is going to sell.

It also depends on how much you want to pay.

I looked for prices in 45 days and the cheapest option with British Airways was $3250! That was with First on the return because for some reason business class was over $4000! I don't want to pay that much so I will not wait!

Ever tried Norwegian Air? We flew in Premium across the pond a few times and found the experience fine - for the money. Much lower $$$.

Ever tried Norwegian Air? We flew in Premium across the pond a few times and found the experience fine - for the money. Much lower $$$.

Premium on Norwegian is not close to real business class.

The biggest problem with Norwegian when flying longhaul is that they are not in any allience so if something happen with their plane you will have to wait, maybe for some days.

British Airways have a few flights from London to Miami every day and they are in allience with American Airlines so if something happen they have many other flights to rebook to.

The biggest problem with Norwegian when flying longhaul is that they are not in any allience so if something happen with their plane you will have to wait, maybe for some days.

British Airways have a few flights from London to Miami every day and they are in allience with American Airlines so if something happen they have many other flights to rebook to.

I agree with you, especially on international flights. I use United to fly to Copenhagen via Zurich, they are in alliance with SAS, Luftansa, Swiss

I would very upset to have my cruise cancelled less than six months out. I think I would look at other cruise lines for a cruise that will work with your flight days. Even if you have to add a couple days at a hotel in the Miami area.

I have had a cruise cancelled about 11 months out. We had not bought plane tickets yet so it was not so bad, but I think I would have felt it was safe to buy plane tickets at the six month mark.

I hope you find something that works for you. I like cruising on NCL, but also would not hesitate to try one of the other lines if this happened to me.

is premium on any airline close to real business class? Interested because I fly business class and would change airlines if I could save some $$'s.

is premium on any airline close to real business class? Interested because I fly business class and would change airlines if I could save some $$'s.

Not that I know of if you want a lay flat bed... Domestic, less of a difference.