Indian food?

forbjz

On Getaway they used to have an Indian lunch buffet (no charge) once during the cruise. Hoping they still have it when I'm on in two weeks.

Tracy

I have always seen Indian food on every NCL ship, every day at the buffet. In fact if I eat at the buffet Indian is my go to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On Getaway they used to have an Indian lunch buffet (no charge) once during the cruise. Hoping they still have it when I'm on in two weeks.

It was still available 2 months ago and amazing! It was in Moderno on a sea day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Will it be in the buffet at lunch or dinner serving , Indian is my favourite food, it’s practically a national dish in the uk. I do not remember seeing any on the getaway in 2015, I’ll be on the Escape for 2 weeks in January and would love to be able to have a good curry .

Will it be in the buffet at lunch or dinner serving , Indian is my favourite food, it’s practically a national dish in the uk. I do not remember seeing any on the getaway in 2015, I’ll be on the Escape for 2 weeks in January and would love to be able to have a good curry .

Walk around the buffet and you will find the Indian and Asian food selections in one area. Selections change daily at both lunch and dinner. I love a good curry also but it won't be available every day.

Tracy

Is it available in the buffet on every ship? We’re on the Gem in July.

I was on the Gem just a couple of weeks ago and there was Indian food on the buffet every day. Look for the "Tastes of Asia" section, I think it's called. Some was really good, some was just okay, but it was always available at lunch and dinner.

• Like 1

I sailed the Getaway Nov-2016 and the escape April-2018 and both had Indian food in the Asian area of the buffet every day. It was good! I saw some veggie Indian dishes on the dinner menu a couple times, but I'm willing to bet you could request it at dinner time.

I put in the suggestion box at guest services that a speciality Indian restaurant would go over very well with European cruisers-in UK it is almost national dish!

On Carnival some ships have Tandoor, kind of a self serve area but lots of good choices. This would be great on NCL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1

I understand that food is subjective. My experience with Indian food on my recently cruise on the Epic was not as good or as variety as carnival cruises (Magic, Conquest, Valor etc...)

If anyone is wondering, I found out that on the Epic, they had a Indian vegetarian section set up as buffet for lunch at La Cucina restaurant besides one or two dishes at the buffet.

• 3 weeks later...
I was on the Gem just a couple of weeks ago and there was Indian food on the buffet every day. Look for the "Tastes of Asia" section, I think it's called. Some was really good, some was just okay, but it was always available at lunch and dinner.

Wonderful, thanks! My son will be so happy.

It was present every lunch and dinner at the buffet on the Breakaway in December, and each day I looked on the Dawn last month.

I remember making a dessert of roti/chutney every day on the Pride of America a few years back, too! (Sweet, hot, cool, yum!)

• 4 years later...

Hi, Just did the NCL Jade in May; they say/market or common misconception is that the whole section is devoted to Indian. Its a joke and pity that they project that as Indian food; in fact only 1 dish is Indian; Daal (lentil curry) that was repeated (with green/yellow: moong daal) 3 times on 9 day cruise in Greek Isles cruise. 1 day was Rajma Masala ( that was awful with raw spices overly sprinkle); and a butter chicken (with bones in) not supposed to; lol; taste and flavours of Indian food were no way close. They did not even have pickels. For what they call Roti; it was small pita (of white flour). Raita was made by using sweet/sugary Breakfast yogurt containers. For the Indian vegetarians, options was limited. Saw some mature Indian families who were desperately looking for alternate options. My experience of NCl Jade on Mediterranean itinerary for food served in Garden cafe was below average although their Sous Chef and Staff were working hard to accommodate the serve the pallet of ethnic foods. They went above and beyond in their capacity and the fault is NCL management not provisioning them with options and ingredients. Carnival from Florida to Bahamas had a plenty of options. NCL reps has been misinforming during booking that they had a whole section devoted to Indian food. We can continue to keep this thread updated with feedback of cruise lines carrying proper Indian food.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Polos12 said:

Hi, Just did the NCL Jade in May; they say/market or common misconception is that the whole section is devoted to Indian. Its a joke and pity that they project that as Indian food; in fact only 1 dish is Indian; Daal (lentil curry) that was repeated (with green/yellow: moong daal) 3 times on 9 day cruise in Greek Isles cruise. 1 day was Rajma Masala ( that was awful with raw spices overly sprinkle); and a butter chicken (with bones in) not supposed to; lol; taste and flavours of Indian food were no way close. They did not even have pickels. For what they call Roti; it was small pita (of white flour). Raita was made by using sweet/sugary Breakfast yogurt containers. For the Indian vegetarians, options was limited. Saw some mature Indian families who were desperately looking for alternate options. My experience of NCl Jade on Mediterranean itinerary for food served in Garden cafe was below average although their Sous Chef and Staff were working hard to accommodate the serve the pallet of ethnic foods. They went above and beyond in their capacity and the fault is NCL management not provisioning them with options and ingredients. Carnival from Florida to Bahamas had a plenty of options. NCL reps has been misinforming during booking that they had a whole section devoted to Indian food. We can continue to keep this thread updated with feedback of cruise lines carrying proper Indian food.

Well, I'm an ignant American that thought he was eating Indian food on the buffet. Sheesh...you know NCL is a mainstream line that serves mainstream Americans from po'dunk NY.🤠 We southern neighbors of yours don't know what real Indian is. But, the, I guess, so-called "Indian" food is the only food on the buffet that is edible. I'll keep on trying the Daal and very, very yummy (fake?) Rajma Masala. Lots of spice is a good thing, my friend. 

I will say though, I think the best ethnic delicacy is Poutine from your sister province of Quebec. Give me that over any food, any day. Mmmmmm! 

Oh, hey! Did you know La Cucina doesn't serve authentic Italian? The pizza's not even baked in a wood fired oven. 🤡Who woulda thought! 

• Like 1

and a butter chicken (with bones in) not supposed to;

Not true, I've had butter chicken 100 times in many different Indian restaurants. It sometimes DOES have bones, although I personally prefer it without. MSC does nice Indian food, actually. Also, perhaps ironically, so does Carnival. My wife ordered the Thali several times and said it was delicious, and so did a friend of ours who is Nepalese.

Really?? Is NCL duty bound to provide "authentic" food types for all of the nations that passengers are from? I've found across both cruises and all inclusives that they attempt to serve a variety of food of a variety of ethnicities, but it is so hit or miss based on what the chefs are trained in. The worst one we saw was at an all inclusive in Mexico. It had and "American" restaurant that was BBQ. And it was very clear that no one who cooked there had ever tasted American BBQ. The sauce looked and tasted like molasses; and when I ordered pork ribs I received a bone in pork chop. If you can laugh off the fact that they aren't experts in your home cuisine; there's really no point in traveling outside of your home country. 

• Thanks 1