Embarkation changed. Will NCL pay?

Halo19

For our cruise coming up, our embarkation port has changed. We booked a hotel within walking distance of the original port, and will now have to pay around 30euro to get to the new port.

Has anyone had this happen before? Do you think if we contact NCL they will give onboard credit? Provide a shuttle? ( I know there are others in the same situation). Just wondering what others experiences were with this!

What is the embarkation port?

From what you say, I’m assuming that it is the port within the same embarkation city which has changed, rather than having moved to a different city. NCL don’t usually specify these details, especially at booking, so I’d be very surprised if any compensation would be due.

But then again, we don’t know the specifics.

What is the embarkation port?

From what you say, I’m assuming that it is the port within the same embarkation city which has changed, rather than having moved to a different city. NCL don’t usually specify these details, especially at booking, so I’d be very surprised if any compensation would be due.

But then again, we don’t know the specifics.

Both ports are in Hamburg Germany. We have an email from our NCL cruise consultant from Oct stating the port would be Altona and it is now Steinwerder.

Both ports are in Hamburg Germany. We have an email from our NCL cruise consultant from Oct stating the port would be Altona and it is now Steinwerder.

Try getting a hotel room closer to new port and problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I suppose that it doesn’t hurt to ask. Write, enclosing a copy of the email stating that you relied on the information provided and I suppose you may get somewhere, although I suspect not.

Specific ports can change, but usually it doesn’t make too much difference. I can see why it can do in Hamburg. However, even if you has known the correct port then it wouldn’t have helped you all that much as I don’t think there are any hotels near Steinwerder. Maybe you would have picked one that is closer than your currently booked one, but based on my experience, Steinwerder means a taxi fare wherever you stay.

For our cruise coming up, our embarkation port has changed. We booked a hotel within walking distance of the original port, and will now have to pay around 30euro to get to the new port.

Has anyone had this happen before? Do you think if we contact NCL they will give onboard credit? Provide a shuttle? ( I know there are others in the same situation). Just wondering what others experiences were with this!

It never hurts to ask nicely. We have always been reimbursed for reasonable charges resulting from changes in a cruise, even if it exceed what they publically offer. Contact pre-cruise guest services and ask.

Try getting a hotel room closer to new port and problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am on the same cruise and there are literally no hotels near this port. We board on a Sunday and there is not even public transportation to anywhere near this port. Luckily I had just booked near the airport due to flights, but I feel for those that were booked near the other port.

Is 30 Euro really worth the time sitting on hold and arguing over?

No, they will not reimburse you. Travel expenses to and from the port are your responsibility. It’s not like they moved embarkation to a different city.

Is 30 Euro really worth the time sitting on hold and arguing over?

No, they will not reimburse you. Travel expenses to and from the port are your responsibility. It’s not like they moved embarkation to a different city.

Dude, the op was just asking a question! Take a chill pill.

I'd email NCL, attach the original email, and ask nicely to get 30 Euros OBC. It's important to state what resolution would satisfy you. If you don't, they don't know what you are thinking. Do you want them to pay for your hotel room? Get the cruise for free? Who knows. If you say you'd like 30 Euros there is a slight chance someone may just give you the OBC as a courtesy gesture. If they don't, oh well. Just be pleasant and don't let it taint your cruise.

Dude, the op was just asking a question! Take a chill pill.

I don't think MikeBTN was being rude in any way. He brings up a very good point in that is it worth 30 euros getting worked up over or letting taint a cruise.

The suggestion of a pleasant email to NCL to maybe request an obc is an excellent idea. All they can say is no and you're no worse off. I sometimes let the little things get to me in a big way. It's nice when someone (usually my husband) reminds me of what's important in the big picture and what's not. If you've never been to Hamburg before, this could be a nice little way to maybe see a bit of the city from the taxi on the way. ;)

I think it’s important to understand the specifics of this issue.

Altona, where the OP thought they would be sailing from is about 2.5 miles from the city centre, on the north side of the river and with hotels and train stations nearby.

Most people, when cruising from there who not travelling into the city on the day will probably stay in the city centre and use some transport to get to the cruise port. Some (like the OP choose to stay closer to the port, I assume to reduce the travelling on the day).

Steinwerder, which is across the water from the city centre has not got good public transport links and also doesn’t have any hotels nearby. Almost everyone who travels in the day before the cruise will be staying a little way away from the port (most likely in the city centre), and travelling to the port by taxi.

The change in the port used (it is was ever actually supposed to dock at Altona) in itself isn’t a factor unless the information they were given was before they booked the cruise, and it was a factor in them booking the cruise. The issue is that they booked a hotel near the wrong port because of incorrect information. In fact, they only booked a hotel a couple of miles away from where they were likely to have booked had they had the correct information. I very much doubt whether this will cost €30 extra. a big part of the extra cost is due to the location and would have been incurred whatever information was given. Ports move, and many people book cruises from Hamburg without knowing for sure which port will be used.

I would recommend sending a letter or email, but I would also recommend trying not to let this be too big an issue. These things happen when travelling unfortunately.

Both the Altona and Steinwerder cruise terminals are in Hamburg (on opposite sides of the river), so the embarkation port did not change, only the cruise terminal did. However, the Steinwerder terminal is more difficult to reach than Altona. Depending on how much luggage you have, you can get to Steinwerder by public transit using the #73 ferry from Landungsbrucken to Argentinienbrucke, but from there you have to roll your luggage about 1/2 mile to get to the cruise terminal. So unless you're traveling with little luggage, a cab is probably a more convenient option. The cruise line probably has language in the cruise contract that says it can change terminals at the embarkation port and in addition the port authority can change a ship's docking location, but if you feel it's worth the effort, give them a call to see if you can get an OBC equal to the cab fare.

Doesn't change how I feel about the cruise. Based on the taxifare website it will be about 30euros, change that into Canadian, it's about $45. Not much money, but an unexpected cost. Perhaps we would have chosen a slightly cheaper place to stay, or a place closer.

Doesn't matter, I was just curious of other people's experiences.

I don't think MikeBTN was being rude in any way. He brings up a very good point in that is it worth 30 euros getting worked up over or letting taint a cruise.

The suggestion of a pleasant email to NCL to maybe request an obc is an excellent idea. All they can say is no and you're no worse off. I sometimes let the little things get to me in a big way. It's nice when someone (usually my husband) reminds me of what's important in the big picture and what's not. If you've never been to Hamburg before, this could be a nice little way to maybe see a bit of the city from the taxi on the way. ;)

Well, if that's the case, my apologies.. lately, people have been blasting people for asking a question.. That's what CC is for.. but some have forgotten that..

Both the Altona and Steinwerder cruise terminals are in Hamburg (on opposite sides of the river), so the embarkation port did not change, only the cruise terminal did. However, the Steinwerder terminal is more difficult to reach than Altona. Depending on how much luggage you have, you can get to Steinwerder by public transit using the #73 ferry from Landungsbrucken to Argentinienbrucke, but from there you have to roll your luggage about 1/2 mile to get to the cruise terminal. So unless you're traveling with little luggage, a cab is probably a more convenient option. The cruise line probably has language in the cruise contract that says it can change terminals at the embarkation port and in addition the port authority can change a ship's docking location, but if you feel it's worth the effort, give them a call to see if you can get an OBC equal to the cab fare.

The ferries do not operate on Sunday so the closest we can get to Steinwerder using public transit is about a 50 minute walk. We only have carry on so it might work for us, but just not convenient.