a bad foot has stopped my walking tours--what now?

musicmansmom

the syst in the ball of my foot has come back :mad: and i will not be able to walk everywhere as i planned. so now i am rethinking what to do in the the ports ( boston, portland, saint john, nb and halifax ) . i know for sure i want to avoid the ship tours. i will be looking for vendors at the dock that will give me a better tour for less money so i wont have to be on foot all day. i am a single traveler so some times it is hard to get hooked up with a group for a tour.

this really is a PAIN and changes the whole port experience i was going to have. RATS.

It's unfortunate that you won't consider any ship tours under the circumstances as there are some good ones but a few suggestions: Harbor Cruise in both Portland and Halifax... see if Bluenose II is in port in Halifax... and in Portland the Lighthouse tour.. you can also get the trolley and harbor cruise combo for a very good price there.. If you can't walk around in Halifax perhaps rent a car and go to Peggy's Cove? Not my first choice but Halifax really is walkable.. Another option there is the DUCKS tour but it often is difficult to get ahead of time ex. thru the ship.. you will see a lot of this lovely city and get the harbor segment as well.. then settle back in Portland AND Halifax and have a great lobster/seafood lunch:)

It's unfortunate that you won't consider any ship tours under the circumstances as there are some good ones but a few suggestions: Harbor Cruise in both Portland and Halifax... see if Bluenose II is in port in Halifax... and in Portland the Lighthouse tour.. you can also get the trolley and harbor cruise combo for a very good price there.. If you can't walk around in Halifax perhaps rent a car and go to Peggy's Cove? Not my first choice but Halifax really is walkable.. Another option there is the DUCKS tour but it often is difficult to get ahead of time ex. thru the ship.. you will see a lot of this lovely city and get the harbor segment as well.. then settle back in Portland AND Halifax and have a great lobster/seafood lunch:)

thanks caroline for the advice. i will look and see what carnival has to offer and go from there. the bluenose sounds like fun. i will do some more research :)

thanks again thewog. i have looked into the ship tours and some of them will be ok considering my situation. i was so hoping to do my own wandering around and really investigation the ports of foot, but being able to see them another way will have to do. i will make the ports fun and interesting no matter what i end up doing ;) .

thanks for your concern, music

I was wondering if your foot is an actual cyst or some sort of plantar's wart. Hubby has some that reoccur and Dr suggested Tinactin. After a few weeks it is great. We always travel with it. (He just began a course the other day so I thought of you.) (Wal-mart brand isn't as fast working as the Tinactin, but don't know why)

I was wondering if your foot is an actual cyst or some sort of plantar's wart. Hubby has some that reoccur and Dr suggested Tinactin. After a few weeks it is great. We always travel with it. (He just began a course the other day so I thought of you.) (Wal-mart brand isn't as fast working as the Tinactin, but don't know why)

yes, it is a cyst. i had it surgicaly removed last oct. and now it is back. cortizone shots have not helped again. i wish it were a planters wart. i would take your suggestion and help it go away. im afraid i am going to have to have surgery again.

thank you for your concern and help. i am still going to have a good time on the cruise no-matter what :)

Musiciansmom, check out this LINK for ideas. The duck tours look interesting. Also Casco Bay Lines is great for local flavor. The terminal is right next door to the cruise ship dock. This is the local commuter ferry line to the islands in the bay. They boats carry a mixture of summer tourists/residents and year round locals. It's unfortunate about your foot as Portland is a great walking city.

The construction in the immediate area is the beginning construction phase of a new cruise ship terminal. After many years of discussion and disagreement from the various interests in the city (typical New England), it is finally going to be built.

Musiciansmom, check out this LINK for ideas. The duck tours look interesting. Also Casco Bay Lines is great for local flavor. The terminal is right next door to the cruise ship dock. This is the local commuter ferry line to the islands in the bay. They boats carry a mixture of summer tourists/residents and year round locals. It's unfortunate about your foot as Portland is a great walking city.

The construction in the immediate area is the beginning construction phase of a new cruise ship terminal. After many years of discussion and disagreement from the various interests in the city (typical New England), it is finally going to be built.

thanks rich, the sites are great. i was so looking forward to walking the trails and streets of the ports. now i will just change my tour activities. i know there will be plenty of great things to do while i am setting instead of walking :)

How about going to the Roll Call boards for your ship and seeing if someone has an independent group tour you could join. We booked independent tours for our New England cruise last fall; they were great! There is a tour bus in Bar Harbor that does a very good tour of the area. We only had 2 stops but the driver was humorous and very informative! We caught it downtown near the dock.

How about going to the Roll Call boards for your ship and seeing if someone has an independent group tour you could join. We booked independent tours for our New England cruise last fall; they were great! There is a tour bus in Bar Harbor that does a very good tour of the area. We only had 2 stops but the driver was humorous and very informative! We caught it downtown near the dock.

thanks for the idea. that is what i am doing now. i am checking into private tour co's for bus tours and i am going to do the trolley, horsedrawn tours also. i will be able to get around a little but not for the whole ports like i planned. im sure i will still find some great tours that will let me see all the great things in my ports--boston, portland, saint john nb and halifax. the ship also has some bus tours i can take.

all of the help i have gotten here is wonderful. if i had to get this problem again i just wish it would have happened after my cruise . but we are not the judge of these things and i will deal with it. thanks for the help :)

Archived