qm2 labor day

10nisbum

We are on the same cruise...There will be 2 formal nights (tux for me ) and 2 elegant casual nights ( blazer and dockers...I'm not sure about the tie yet)

Sorry I cant help with the excursions..we plan to wander around Halifax.

We have a roll call going at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=407505 come join us.

new to QM2. what do majority of people wear to formal and semi-formal nights in britannia restaurant?

The majority of the passengers adhers to the dress-code or goes above it.

On formal nights most men wear tuxedos and the ladies long dresses.

On informal / semi-formal nights jacket and tie are required, many men wear a suit, ladies dresses.

On elegant casual nights, only a jacket is required, still many wear a tie.

Rich, latest news from Cunard (stay tuned for further flashes) is 2 Formal nights and 2 Informal nights. For those who are wondering how Cunardese translates into normal English, Informal is MORE formal (slightly) than Elegant Casual.

You can wear Elegant Casual to dinner on Tuesday night;)

Best, David

This will be our 3rd straight sailing to Halifax on Labor Day. (Golden Princess 2005, Norwegian Dawn 2006). In '05 we rented a car from Budget and drove to the Minas Basin on the Bay of Fundy(about an hour and a half drive). We wanted to experience the tide. The highest tides in the world are here. We arrived at low tide, watched the tide coming in for an hour or so then drove down the coast to Halls Harbor and had lunch at a lobster pound. Drove back to the same location to see the tide about 2/3 of the way back in. It had already risen 25-30 feet. Amazing! We didn't stay for high tide because we wanted to spend a little time on the boardwalk in Halifax. Last year we drove to Peggy's Cove. Great trip also.

The maritime museum in Halifax is an easy walk from the ship and features a pretty good Cunard section. You can easily spend the day just along the shore enjoying the restaurants, museums and shops, no need to arrange a tour or rent a car (unless you want to see the Titanic graveyard or the fort). There are whale watching boats that operate from the town harbour, though I'm not sure if the whales are in that area this time of year.

Julia

Rich, latest news from Cunard (stay tuned for further flashes) is 2 Formal nights and 2 Informal nights. For those who are wondering how Cunardese translates into normal English, Informal is MORE formal (slightly) than Elegant Casual.

You can wear Elegant Casual to dinner on Tuesday night;)

Best, David

OK I give up...my paperwork says 2 elegant casual and 2 formal..I guess I didn't get the news...

For those who are wondering how Cunardese translates into normal English, Informal is MORE formal (slightly) than Elegant Casual.

So Cunardese is a new language, at least its new to me. *goes off and makes an effort to learn Cunardese* :)

Hi,

Hope you have a great trip and having done the Bay of Fundy trip (the Cunard one) I have mixed feelings. It was nice but I thought it was a lot of bus riding and not a lot of anything else. I was also not impressed with the luncheon for the amount of money that it cost.

We got there at low tide and it is cool to see all the boats lying on the silt but not having much to compare it to, it was hard to judge the enormous difference.

We stopped by a vineyard on the way back and I got to try Ice wine which is very sweet but a nice refreshing treat.

Overall, I'd say stay in Halifax and save the Bay of Fundy for when you have more time. My SIL and BIL went up there and had a great time but they got to explore the entire region.

Morrie

Archived