Southampton to St Pancras

1manalive

Ok, well I've a 12:30 eurorail train to catch, so my understanding is:

Do self help to disembark early, taxi to southampton central station, remember of course to ensure I know which platform to head towards. Grab train to waterloo station (bought ticket from http://www.thetrainline.com, (they did ship tickets to canada, took 2 weeks), then take taxi to St Pancras.

Done... hopefully. Of course this is all on paper, anyone actually have done it should comment.

There is discussion about using megatrain http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/SWTrains/Ticketsandprices/Ticket+types/megatrain.htm

but in looking it says there is no promotional fares for the day I wanted.

You can take the london tube from Waterloo to St Pancras if you feel comfortable in doing that and don't have much luggage to run with.

Bus works too, but I'm sure I read somewhere it leaves later and can take longer, certainly if there is a traffic issue one will miss the train.

The terminal is not far from the station but I would advise self disembark as there will be a queue for the taxis later. The train service to Waterloo is quick and frequent. If you are catching the Eurostar and have your tickets to show, there is a special rail price (or at least there was when it went from Waterloo). Take a taxi to St Pancras from Waterloo if you are in a hurry.

Maureen

We were also going from the QM2 to St Pancras earlier this year. I looked into the option of taking a taxi to the station and the train in to Waterloo then taxi to St Pancras. It is cheaper, but not more convenient.

The Cunard coach got us to St Pancras at noon. We left about 10AM which was a little late because we were waiting for a guy who left one of his bags in the terminal. Another bus left before us and we could have gotten on that one.

[bTY - If you're going to leave a piece of luggage at the 'left luggage' in St Pancras you'll be glad to know that desk is on your left as soon as you enter the station from where the bus lets you off.]

We were also returning on the QM2 and took the train down to Southampton from Waterloo at the end of our Europe vacation. The train was packed, but we had reservations so had a seat but we were also delayed quite a bit. A train had gone off it's track in between London and Southampton, we sat for quite awhile. Luckily we had taken an early train and still got to the boat in plenty of time.

Another reason to consider it...when we returned from Paris to St Pancras we took a taxi to our hotel (which was right next to Wateloo), and it took forever. It was raining and we ran into fire trucks and a ton of London congestion. Of course we weren't in a hurry trying to catch a train...thank goodness.

Sometimes you have to put convenience before saving money.

Archived