Never cruised looking to book in April

Loganpaulsmom

Hi all .. I first posted a couple of days ago and since then I have lots more questions so I thought I would start a new thread. I have read a lot on here and with that have gotten tons of great info and also lots more questions:eek:

So here are my latest ones..

I am looking to book during April break( which unfortunately this year falls right at Easter, which a know is a high time for all vacations).. I have been looking at 5-7 night cruises for my family of 3.. I thought I just wanted Eastern Caribbean Cruises but the dates that we can go on this cruise there are only a few choices and those cruises have very limited rooms left. My question about that is.. Do the cruise companies hold rooms for a later time? Will I be able to find the room that I want if I wait? I looked on all kinds of sites and the cruise sites have limited rooms but some of the other Internet sites have the rooms I want.. With this being my first cruise I'm nervous not booking directly with the cruise line.

I found a few Western Caribbean but I'm really nervous about going to Mexico.. Should I be?

What is the probability that mid-ship rooms will open Up? I'm really nervous about sea sickness and I want to be proactive and get a room in the best location and from this site I have read mid-ship..

I think that's all for now.. Thanks for the infi

For a cruise during a popular time, such as you're considering, your best bet is likely to book now. If you're looking at an off-peak time, or certain cruises, you can do well to wait. But you're looking at a popular cruise at a particularly popular time.

The cruise lines themselves don't hold back rooms, but they do allow travel agencies to lock up blocks of rooms. If any of those go unsold, they get released just after the final payment date of the cruise; but again I wouldn't expect that to come up for your plan.

For Mexico I really wouldn't worry (of course others disagree). You're likely looking at going to Cozumel and/or Costa Maya. Both are statistically probably safer for cruise passengers than Miami or Ft. Lauderdale. Of Course statistic do you know good if you don't feel comfortable. I can tell you that I've never felt any concern whatsoever in either of these ports. I found Costa Maya's near by village, Mahahual (the cruise port has sort of a mall attached to it, the village is about 3 miles away) to be a real gem. Very little development - Yet.

Harris

Denver, CO

I know on Carnival's website you will only ever see 10 cabins in each section of the ship at a time. You can go look on TA sites and see others in the same area. Best bet is to contact either a Carnival PVP or a TA to book and make your room selection. During the time you are looking to cruise, I would suspect that spring break cruisers would be more of a problem that a little motion of the ship! :D

As far as Mexico goes, some will say it not good and others will say no problem. If you stick to the major "tourist" areas, I doubt you will have any trouble. Cozumel has not had any issues that I am aware of. Cancun did have a minor incident a few months ago but nothing aimed at tourists. We are heading to Cozumel in a few weeks and will have a ball and enjoy our stay there!

Thank you for this info.. So, if I book the inside boardwalk view if I balcony view comes available can I have my TA switch it? I am just nervous about not having the ability to have fresh air ocean air especially if I get sea sick.. Good to know about Mexico..

Your best bet would be to talk to a cruise agent in your area. She/he would be able to answer your questions, help you find what you're looking for, and hopefully allay your fears. Doing research on line and gathering information on here is good, but it can't replace talking face to face with a knowledgeable cruise agent. Unfortunately, we're not allowed to mention or discuss specific agents or agencies on here. Maybe you could ask friends or co-workers if they could recommend someone.

If there is a cabin you are really interested in, call the Cruise Line since you mentioned that you want to book directly with them.

Get a supervisor and explain that you have seen this cabin on an online site and know that it is available.

We had to do that a couple of times. We use a TA and she actually had to get the cabin we wanted.

Great advice everyone. I am going to call a bunch of different TA as well as RCI when my son goes to school that way I have no interruptions and I can really pay attention to all the info.. I have been reading TR for ships that we may go on and it really has helped me narrow my choices down.. This forum has been a great addition to my daily Internet searches.. Lol

Just as an FYI, I don't know that fresh air is going to help with seasickness. Are you prone to motion sickness? Looking out at the horizon line in the distance can be helpful in regaining equilibrium. Your best defense is to have meds with you and start taking them before you board. At such a popular time of the year, you can't count on a balcony cabin opening up. Most first timers (including me) have no idea how big a cruise ship is. It's nothing like going out on a fishing trawler. :D

Roz

Hi all .. I first posted a couple of days ago and since then I have lots more questions so I thought I would start a new thread. I have read a lot on here and with that have gotten tons of great info and also lots more questions:eek:

So here are my latest ones..

I am looking to book during April break( which unfortunately this year falls right at Easter, which a know is a high time for all vacations).. I have been looking at 5-7 night cruises for my family of 3.. I thought I just wanted Eastern Caribbean Cruises but the dates that we can go on this cruise there are only a few choices and those cruises have very limited rooms left. My question about that is.. Do the cruise companies hold rooms for a later time? Will I be able to find the room that I want if I wait? I looked on all kinds of sites and the cruise sites have limited rooms but some of the other Internet sites have the rooms I want.. With this being my first cruise I'm nervous not booking directly with the cruise line.

I found a few Western Caribbean but I'm really nervous about going to Mexico.. Should I be?

What is the probability that mid-ship rooms will open Up? I'm really nervous about sea sickness and I want to be proactive and get a room in the best location and from this site I have read mid-ship..

Have you looked into the option of sailing from NY, or NJ? Saves the hassle of flying down. Air in April will be pricey to Florida unless you find a deal. Add on the hotel the night before the cruise, etc.

From NJ is RC Explorer Of The Seas, 9 days to the Caribbean.

From NY you have the NCL Breakaway to the Bahamas or the Carnival Glory also to the Caribbean. :D

Have you looked into the option of sailing from NY, or NJ? Saves the hassle of flying down. Air in April will be pricey to Florida unless you find a deal. Add on the hotel the night before the cruise, etc.

From NJ is RC Explorer Of The Seas, 9 days to the Caribbean.

From NY you have the NCL Breakaway to the Bahamas or the Carnival Glory also to the Caribbean. :D

I have thought of that but as I have been doing my research I have read that the North East waters are so much more rough than the down South. As this is my first cruise and I have no idea what to expect or how I am going to fare I want as little obstacles in my way.. I have this huge fear of paying all this money an they being sick.. I know crazy! I also I have the fear of the rota virus going around, but that's a whole different story:rolleyes:.lol

HiDo the cruise companies hold rooms for a later time? Will I be able to find the room that I want if I wait?

nope. they WILL sell out and fast. the prices will only go higher the longer you wait as well.

I found a few Western Caribbean but I'm really nervous about going to Mexico.. Should I be? personal opinion. tempered by the fact that DH is NOT allowed to go to Mexico at all due to his job. we avoid any itinerary that has more than one stop in Mexico. and even then he has to put on his leave request that he does not intend to get off the ship at that port. I have never liked Mexico even before it was off limits to him and the drug wars got out of hand.

What is the probability that mid-ship rooms will open Up? I'm really nervous about sea sickness and I want to be proactive and get a room in the best location and from this site I have read mid-ship.. about zilch until final payment and then if by some miracle one opens up, it will be snatched up in 2 seconds

you are really pushing it booking so late. the best selection and prices tend to be a year out. and everyone honors price adjustment up until final payment.

other things to consider: a 5 day cruise at that time period will be over run with the Spring break( college ) crowd who are there to get their drink on.

not very family friendly. the 7 day cruise will be almost as bad but tempered by lots of families with kids taking advantage of the school break.

Ages of your 3 in a cabin, matter. Young folk (pre-teens/toddlers/babies) are happiest with beach days/amusements. Mexico ports, imho, are fun for teens to pre-senior adults. Age does matter for advising which cruise would work out good for 1st timers.

Driving to a port is easiest, but flying not an issue. Cabin assignment is important - some are smaller than others / some feel the motion of the ocean more than others. imho, all but a select few, are good. The only issue would be taking a balcony (for the fresh air/being able to step outside w/o lvg your stateroom) or can you adjust to only a porthole or window (neither open). Inside is very dark, but you can bring your nightlight.

First, I'd look at your ages and then I'd check your budget. Booking now, you'll get what has been picked over, but cancellations do happen.

You need a local agent, imho.

Easter-time is going to sail Full with lots of children. :rolleyes:

Bon Voyage. May you enjoy the sea always and all ways.

Yes flying is expensive.. I have seen that I can go a couple of days before and stay a day after the cruise is over pay a bit over $300.. Not bad.. But then that has me staying at a hotel a full 3 days more so in the end is it really a deal.

I don't want to feel over run by other passengers and feel like we can't get the most for our money but we are not in a position to really change the dates..

The other issue is we may go on break with my brother in law sister in law and niece and nephew if that happens this all will be a moot point as they will not be able to cruise this year because of my nephew having his 6th grade trip..thus the reason why I haven't booked anything yet.. However, I have a feeling I will have news by tues or Wed.. Thanks again for all your info!

Archived