Mt Roberts Tram

ElmwoodPark

I understand that if you hike up Mt Roberts, and spend $10+ at the restaurant/gift shop, that you can ride the tram down for free. Is that just for one person? Also, how difficult is the hike up to the restaurant/gift shop and how long would it take? I would like to go up to the top, but don't want to spend the amount of money that they are charging for the tram.

I loved the trail - you hike through the rain forest up the mountain. I forget the elevation gain, but the trail is steep in many places. I would call it a moderate hike. I think it took me about two hours, maybe a little more. I wore hiking boots and had hiking sticks. The trail is steep, has lots of roots, and can be muddy. I am an avid hiker and loved the challenge. There were some views of the port, but the trail mainly goes through the forest. I would not hike up to save the money for the tram. I definitely would hike up if you enjoy mountain hiking through a rain forest. I think the $10 spending is per person. There is a very nice gift shop and a restaurant at the top. I bought a beautiful t-shirt designed by a local artist.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In Juneau I usually take the tram up and hike down, based on doing that more than a few times I'd say that the hike up is no beginner's lark, and unless your an avid hiker like the above poster, my guest it's at least three hours of upward hiking

And a big YES, I have seen bear tracks across the trail. In fact last August when I was there there was a sign at the top of the tram to check with staff before heading down because of a bear sighting that morning.

I'll be back next month, and I'll be doing it again :cool:

Srpilo