Passport Food For Thought

rccampbell

Hi, I am sure we all have heard about the plane crash in Mexico this week. Thank goodness no one lost their lives.

It was reported in the news this morning that at least 60 of the passengers held U.S. or U.S./Mexican citizenship but lost their passports in the fire. They were unable to retrieve their carry on bags as they escaped the plane.

They will have to remain in Mexico until replacements/ proof of citizenship is determined.

This tells me that I just might want to keep my passport physically on my person anytime I am travelling by plane outside of the country. In a fanny pack, purse, coat pocket, etc.

I know this isn't directly related to cruising, but many do fly to or from far away cruise ports and anything can happen.

Hi, I am sure we all have heard about the plane crash in Mexico this week. Thank goodness no one lost their lives.

It was reported in the news this morning that at least 60 of the passengers held U.S. or U.S./Mexican citizenship but lost their passports in the fire. They were unable to retrieve their carry on bags as they escaped the plane.

They will have to remain in Mexico until replacements/ proof of citizenship is determined.

This tells me that I just might want to keep my passport physically on my person anytime I am travelling by plane outside of the country. In a fanny pack, purse, coat pocket, etc.

I know this isn't directly related to cruising, but many do fly to or from far away cruise ports and anything can happen.

Apparently some of them actually tried to take their carry on stuff as they exited the burning plane. Idiots!!!

What I do is to carry a copy of my passport so that the authorities can get my passport information if necessary. That way, I have the relevant information but I do not have to worry about having my passport stolen. The real passport stays in a safe place.

DON

Like Philob, have been traveling for years with my ScotteVest and wear it on the plane with my travel portfolio securely zipped in the large inner pocket (includes passport, travel vouchers, tickets, money). I find it more secure than most hotel safes as well as those are typically not bolted to the closet.

If I survive a plan crash the last concern would be my Passport. My hero from that crash was the Mexican gentleman who said he went directly to a bar and ask for a large glass of their best Tequila. When on TV his actual comment was something like "I fell out of the sky and survived, and I needed a big drink!"

As to always carrying a Passport on my person, no way. We travel over 6 months a year and the last thing I want is a Passport book sticking my side when I am on a plane. Once we get aboard our flight my Passport goes into the carry-on and is over my head.

Hank

This tells me that I just might want to keep my passport physically on my person anytime I am travelling by plane outside of the country. In a fanny pack, purse, coat pocket, etc. .

Not a good idea since you are to leave all purses, coats, fanny packs on the plane. These things can impede escape and endanger other passengers. LEAVE IT ALL BEHIND!!

While I don't know if I will be planning for passport access in case of a plane crash, it can be valuable to have passport backups. Is taking a picture of it a viable backup?

The State Department says that in order to get a passport replaced you need proof of citizenship and a copy of your passport provides that. Whether they treat a photo different than a copy I don't know, but I don't see the difference.

If I survive a plan crash the last concern would be my Passport. My hero from that crash was the Mexican gentleman who said he went directly to a bar and ask for a large glass of their best Tequila. When on TV his actual comment was something like "I fell out of the sky and survived, and I needed a big drink!"

As to always carrying a Passport on my person, no way. We travel over 6 months a year and the last thing I want is a Passport book sticking my side when I am on a plane. Once we get aboard our flight my Passport goes into the carry-on and is over my head.

Hank

Not sure where you are putting yours that it sticks you in the side but mine goes in my back pocket or a pocket on my cargo pants. To each their own though.:)

I chaperone school groups from Australia to Europe and our students wear their passport in money belts for the flight, on trains, on tour and any time they’re not in host families. Too inconvenient to replace especially when travelling in a big group scenario.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The problem with having it on your phone is, you phone is a bigger target for thieves than your passport.

I honestly don't think so........People have phones everywhere; yours, like mine, really isn't anything special. Of moderate value, maybe a little bit more than the cash in your wallet, not as much as the credit cards in your wallet, and far less than your passport.

But this thread really isn't about theft as much as it is about being separated from your possessions by disaster or an "Act of God". And a fair percentage of people have their phones automatically backing up to the Cloud, anyway.

Phones are stolen daily. MANY of them. Especially smart phones, they have street cash value.

The point is, those who feel comfortable with their passport info on their phone in case they need it, may not have the phone. :D

Do what makes YOU comfortable.

Phones are stolen daily. MANY of them. Especially smart phones, they have street cash value.

The point is, those who feel comfortable with their passport info on their phone in case they need it, may not have the phone. :D

Do what makes YOU comfortable.

Again, this has nothing to do with the topic of the thread. (And as many, many people have said the document is actually backed up on the cloud so they don't need the phone to access it. Having the copy of the passport only helps make it easier to get a replacement if something happens to your passport, it's still possible to get the replacement without the copy so it's not the end of the world.)

When abroad my passport lives in my money belt. It is physically attached to me. Not in a vest. Not in a bag stowed overhead.

I want to be able to get home as easily as possible at any point in the trip. My passport is the key to that. It is the most valuable thing I have. I literally wear it.

When abroad my passport lives in my money belt. It is physically attached to me. Not in a vest. Not in a bag stowed overhead.

I want to be able to get home as easily as possible at any point in the trip. My passport is the key to that. It is the most valuable thing I have. I literally wear it.

This is the type of point I was trying to make. My fear of being told you cannot go back to the USA even for a day or so scares me to death. I think I will keep it on me, have a photo on my phone and email a copy to myself.