On Board Europa - Back to top form

MsSommelier

We are in Fiji, about 2/3 thru our Acapulco to Melbourne cruise with Europa and I am happy to report that things are in top form. Food and service are amazing. Corrections appear to have been made from our last trip end of August.

Internet is slow, though, so I will post a more complete report upon our return home.

We are home now so I wanted to give some more details about our cruise from Acapulco to Melbourne. In a word: Terrific! Right until the very last minute. Usually I am 'chomping at the bit' to get home, especially after 46 days away, but this was such a wonderful experience, I wouldn't have minded staying longer.

Two things to note upfront: This cruise was 2 segments of a world cruise and also, we had a Penthouse suite this time. I think it was Catlover 54 that said she noticed a difference in service between a regular suite and Penthouse. Fellow passengers on board also said that world cruise segments were likely to have a heightened experience with food and service. I will say that all my concerns with food and service from the last cruise were completely addressed on this one. All the passengers we spoke with were consistently happy also, so I don't think it was just a PH thing.

Having said that, here we go:

Food: Quality was outstanding - fresh, top ingredients, very creative, very little if any repetition - quite a feat. Although we were able to secure multiple reservations in Dieter Muller (and so able to taste the different menus once each) and Venezia (also 5 or 6 times), we ate mainly in the Europa restaurant for dinner. This was consistently excellent. Venezia is probably the weakest of the restaurants for food. Service was great, but food was just okay in comparison to other venues.

For breakfast, we prefer the Lido Cafe. In a complete reversal from our Baltic cruise, there was a very wide variety of fresh fruit every day, exactly correct ripeness, and too many choices to even mention on the buffet. Breads and pastries (I think there were at least a dozen breads and 10 different pastries every morning) were absolutely fresh, pastries changed daily and the card explaining what the breads were (with pics) were posted above the bread station. And of course, fish, cold cuts, cheeses and any hot item you might want (egg dishes, waffles, etc). Fresh squeezed juices and prosecco, hot soup, you name it, they had it. People who ate in Europa for breakfast raved about the gourmet aspects and 'late risers' for Dieter Muller loved the 'real' champagne! And important for me, perfect coffee every morning - just the way we liked - never had to ask twice, even with different servers.

We also mostly ate in Lido Cafe for lunch. Again, all my complaints from last time - completely gone. Wide variety of fresh salads, changed daily; at least 5 to 6 different hot main dishes and 7 or 8 sides (veggies, potato, rice dishes), always something new at the carving station, salads also tossed to order, changed daily. Cheese selection was great - many choices, properly ripened. Several 'small bites' on the buffet, which I missed the last time. The grill quality and variety also great - I had fresh fish, sourced locally, just about daily and it was always perfectly done.

The many special themed meals were executed perfectly. As a small example, last time the Sushi and Sashimi was a disaster. This time, on our first segment, they had a Sushi chef that even cut toro for us from the whole tuna in front of him (since it wasn't on the platter). Second segment, no sushi chef but sushi and sashimi was still properly cut and pristine and sushi rice was also correct.

Service: Top notch and professional. They had enough servers at all times, and with only 1 or 2 exceptions, clearly seasoned, experienced staff. Maybe the A Team because of a world cruise? No matter, we were delighted. Also interesting to note: There was a waiter in our section of Europa who was clearly below par, consistently. We spoke to him directly about his errors and lack of attention, with no change. A couple days later, he was replaced, and one of the staff said there were other complaints as well. So it looks like they're jumping on problems as they occur and making changes.

Penthouse suite: Very nice, what's not to like about a PH? Well, one thing - the extra space was oddly used (a lot of hallway), which I guess facilitates entertaining if you want (there were curtains to close off the bed). Bathroom was larger than regular suite - whirlpool tub, two sinks, good size shower. Nespresso machine, free internet, free pressing and butler service included. We don't use butlers much (we had them on Regent and Crystal) but our butler was very professional and proactive - we didn't even have to ask and he took care of things as he saw them. He made many helpful recommendations and of course, there were those extra reservations at the specialty restaurants. There are spirits included but we don't drink hard liquor, so we got a 100 Euro credit, that we could use for wine. Balcony was large enough for 1 lounger and 2 chairs.

Entertainment: A good mix of high quality performances: classical, the band, lectures and readings. Hapag Lloyd does it right when it comes to the professionals they engage. It was Karneval in Germany, so that was a fun evening on board - I was surprised to see how many passengers brought costumes with and they had costumes to rent if you didn't bring your own.

Spa: Completely redone, but I don't do spas much - I had my nails done a couple times - but everything looks really nice and other passengers who used the services liked it (although they said sauna still too small). My husband injured his shoulder before we left and needed some PT while on board and he was very pleased with the professionalism and competence. And, his shoulder was 100% better after 2 sessions.

Smoking: First segment, almost no smokers, so it was really good. Second segment, a lot more. I noticed it most outside at Lido Cafe (which has a smoking section) and of course drifting out from the Havana Bar. We had smokers below us for second segment, but fortunately it wasn't a major deal.

Extra charges: Water is still 4 Euros a bottle at dinner, which I continue to think is 'nickel and diming'. We joined the Club before our Baltic cruise, so it was nice to have credits, which paid for all our water and wine. (We had wine with dinner each evening, but ice tea at lunch, with a couple exceptions.)

Think that's it for now - please let me know if you have any questions.

msSommelier,

many thanks for your review - very happy to read it in view of my cruise dep 17th April - i also will do the "sansibar" cruise and unfortunately due to a very minor mouth surgery i had to cancel a short one ex Nizza in September .

well tastes are personal , i like the Venezia and i very rarely will go to Dieter Müller - probably because i saw too many starred restos for years on land . In Hamburg i always go to the most famous fish restaurant , not to starred ones :D

most of the time i go to the Lido - , only gourmet breakfast in main restaurant.

for sure i will have a far better cruise experience on Ms Europa as on MSC Splendida despite the ample free drinks. I one sent back a "double" gin tonic - the waiter was thinking to please me i friendly said : never doubles for me !! a lot of alcohol is not synonym for quality for me .

i really do not mind to pay for mineral water - better to pay a few euros as chlorine taste ice water on some other all inclusive "luxury" companies

as a single a PH is of course out of the question for me :cool: i only am a little afraid as of course several familar faces will not be there anymore for sure one maitre d'h i was told.

Englishvoyager , are you doing an Europa 2 cruise this year ?

vistaman,

I do not envisage being on the Europa 2 this year.

I must admit I find it annoying that cruises for which there is no availability for single occupancy will, however, in the same category have availability for double occupancy.

I have booked for September a Rhine and Moselle cruise preceded by a couple of nights in Basel.

MsSommelier, you wrote:

Two things to note upfront: This cruise was 2 segments of a world cruise and also, we had a Penthouse suite this time. I think it was Catlover 54 that said she noticed a difference in service between a regular suite and Penthouse. Fellow passengers on board also said that world cruise segments were likely to have a heightened experience with food and service. I will say that all my concerns with food and service from the last cruise were completely addressed on this one. All the passengers we spoke with were consistently happy also, so I don't think it was just a PH thing. . . “

I am delighted you had a great time and that the ship is excellent! I cannot wait to get on May 28. I had signed up with DH for the next leg on her, Melbourne to Bali, which is the opera ball cruise, now ongoing, but had gotten worried about the high potential for heat and humidity in that area, which I never tolerated well, and tolerate even worse now that I am on some new medication. I am enviously following her voyage on the webcam, however, wondering who took the suite I had reserved when I cancelled, and so far the weather has been perfect, not hot at all! Even though I live part-time

in a beautiful place (am typing this looking out at the sea and will be walking along an ocean bluff to visit some harbor seals this morning), there is just something magical about cruising on a ship such as the Europa with true luxury.

I was only in a base suite on her before, very happy, it was the second segment of a year long world cruise.

It was on the Europa 2, not the Europa, that I speculated perhaps the service for PH pax was better than for regular pax, ( though acknowledged there were other variables at play) in my last review, from Oct/Novemeber 2017.

vistaman,

I do not envisage being on the Europa 2 this year.

I must admit I find it annoying that cruises for which there is no availability for single occupancy will, however, in the same category have availability for double occupancy.

I have booked for September a Rhine and Moselle cruise preceded by a couple of nights in Basel.

I hope it will be a good experience - i do not think i can ejoy river cruises

i did visit several vessels in Antwerp and even the Crystal Bach - it is not for me

as a single you have to take options on Europa 2 as soon the preview is ou - and if the fare does not suit you you are entitled to cancel

a similar situation concerning singles is due to happen on Mein Schiff - early in the year i do something "cheap" - for 2019 i am able to book a balcony either Canaries or Dubai Dubai however not a juniorsuite

even willing to pay for it - it seems no single in suites policy on Mein Schiff.

if you search junior suite for 2 pax it is possible - maybe i have to search for a phantom pax ;p???

I hope it will be a good experience - i do not think i can ejoy river cruises

i did visit several vessels in Antwerp and even the Crystal Bach - it is not for me

as a single you have to take options on Europa 2 as soon the preview is ou - and if the fare does not suit you you are entitled to cancel

a similar situation concerning singles is due to happen on Mein Schiff - early in the year i do something "cheap" - for 2019 i am able to book a balcony either Canaries or Dubai Dubai however not a juniorsuite

even willing to pay for it - it seems no single in suites policy on Mein Schiff.

if you search junior suite for 2 pax it is possible - maybe i have to search for a phantom pax ;p???

In 2014 I made a river cruise from Bucharest to Amsterdam, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Hopefully,cruising the Rhine, and Moselle in September will be as enjoyable.

Re Hapag-Lloyd's Europa 2, I have tried taking options on publication of the preview, but as a solo passenger I have only ever obtained wait list status.

As I said, it is annoying that some months later vacancies. or even discounts, are available for double occupancy but nothing for solo passengers.

I was lucky to get the upcoming Ocean Sun voyage on the Europa as a solo, with 50% markup, which is fair I think, but had pre-booked as soon as the option became available. I won that one, but lost on my Europa 2 solo option though my TA and I got it in as soon as humanly possible for Septemer 2018, was just told it is a very popular cruise . They may have to spend more money on base food for doubles, but they calculate you will drink more alcohol and do more excursions if you are not solo, or have more social contacts to spread the wors about HL whether or not it is true.

I hate having to fight to makw a contract to give people my money, far in advance, but the reality is they like couples. I was able to book on the E2 last fall (booked early 2016 for a fall 2017 cruise) only because I traveled with a friend, if I had gone solo there was no availability on the website even if I had paid double.

Frustrating. They need an Europa 3, though what is up and coming are just two expedition ships.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Ms Sommelier, Vistaman, and others who have been on MS Europa within the last year:

I know everyone still has an assigned table in the MDR for dinner, as I did in September 2016 on my Ocean Sun Festival cruise. Before that cruise my understanding was there was only one sitting, at 7, so I had shown up right on time but no one was there at my group table ( or elsewhere) except the waiter. He told me I could start on my own, as people are allowed to come in whenever they want until 9:30 to start to dine at their assigned table, and do not have to all start at the same time and eat all courses together.

So that is how it went most of the cruise. My seatmates and I were often out of synch ( usually with me coming later, though the first night they were the ones who came an hour later). We talked during overlap periods.

Now I have my pre-cruise materials and they, plus online info, talks about one sitting. Does this mean that now everyone is supposed to start at the same time, or can you still come in to dine later even if your seatmates are starting right when the restaurant opens, and the description is just not clear?

For this trip I asked for a table for two (the smallest) for just me as I like to eat late, where it would not be an issue, but doubt I will get one, just like last time I did not, there are so few. I had nice tablemates but now do not want to show up at 8 if I am now supposed to be there at 7, if there has been a change in policy.

Edited by Catlover54
typo

Catlover54,

They assigned us to a table for 2 this time, so I am sorry I can't answer from personal experience. However, I noticed that at the table for 6 next to us, on the first segment, people came at widely varying times. They were served accordingly; no one had to wait and it appeared no one felt pressured to come at 7.

On the second segment, the new group of 6 was traveling together and they came whenever they felt like it, usually 8 or 8:30. So, I think you will be fine. It actually seemed more relaxed than previous cruises. But maybe you will get peer pressure to come at 7 :-).

On our Norwegian cruise two years ago, we had a table for 6 and showed up at 7:30 the first night. The waiters slowed everyone else's service down so we could "catch up". We were told by our table mates, very nicely, that it just wasn't done to be late, because the service would be coordinated to accommodate late arrivals.

And on our cruise last August, at our table for 6, when someone was later to arrive than us (we showed up at 7), the servers slowed our orders down.

But at least based on my most recent experience, it appears you can come whenever you like.

• 2 months later...

I am just back from MS Europa and I only can confirm the good aspects mentionned by MsSommelier -

most of the times I had meals in the Lido , was a few times in de MDR and in the Venezia .

There were 2 Greek evenings in the Lido and one with live music performed by a local trio with free Ouzo ( what i do not drink )

In several places in Greece fresh fish was bought.

The last evening an informal farewell aperitive was done on the open deck with freshly made appetisers made from a freshly bought tuna fish from approximately 50 kilo in weight.

The newly appointed chef - who came over from the Europa 2 managed excellently.

The service was great and as usual all parties with free ( real and only ) Champagne. Still very friendly prices for wines and Champagnes. And as usual a Bavarian lunch ( i like the food not the free beer ) , several gourmet breakfasts and one evening with the tradtional pasta with truffes

Now i am looking forward to my next cruise on ms Europa 2 :D

Vistaman, I am happy to hear that all was recently good on the Europa. I will be on board solo May 29-June 12

and have deliberately lost a lot of weight in anticipation of joyously regaining much of it consuming delicacies on the ship!

This will be the Ocean Sun Festival cruise this year and I very much look forward to enveloping my soul in the beauty of classical music at sea, performed in intimate venues by world class artists.

DH and I have each had some unexpected health scares the last few months so after getting everything resolved with many back and forth appointments and surgery, plus my usual long work hours, I fortunately am good to go and am ready for an indulgent vacation. I have been training and have gotten a bit fitter than usual with longer weekend walks, and am ready for luxury German style “Erholung, ” (rest and recovery).

Then I am booked with a friend on Europa again, August 11-August 25, Travemuende to Hamburg, cruise through British isles ( odd to do this with Germans, I know, but the itinerary and ship are right for me).

DH and I are booked over Christmas holidays on SB in the Caribbean, (he prefers English language ships) that will be a very different experience, and we have a WW2 fundraising charter relating to the battle of Normandy, 75th anniversary, booked on Regent June 2019. Unfortunately that overlaps with next year’s Ocean Sun Festival so I will miss that.

Have unfortunately not had enough time to sort out cruise plans for 2020 but I should probably get to it before everything I like is booked up.

Vistaman,

So happy to hear that everything was up to par for you on your recent Europa cruise. I take that as a very good sign that management has listened to the feedback from its customers and has responded.

Catlover54,

Have a wonderful time on your Ocean Sun Festival voyage - look forward to hearing how it went!