Windstar Adds Sommeliers, Offers Beverage Package Discounts on Some Cruises

LauraS

Never considered Windstar a luxury line.

It's not. But because they have renovated the three Seabourn triplets and the food is actually very good it comes close. Still you have to pay for tips. pay for alcohol etc and that keeps it in the deluxe category. Still a good choice in many instances.

Definitely do not consider Wind Star a luxury line, In terms of including alcohol on luxury lines, Hapag-Lloyd is different (in more ways than just included alcohol). The four main luxury lines that CC members sail on the most are (in alphabetical order) Crystal, Regent, Seabourn and Silversea. SeaDream Yacht Club is also luxury but is very small (around 100 passengers) and has no balconies.

It's ships, Europa, and Europa 2, still have Berlitz's highest rating.

Not saying that they do not deserve the rating but In my opinion, people in different countries have different experiences, and expectations. So, In my opinion, what a travel writer in one country thinks of a cruise line may be different from another travel writer's perspective.

Europa and Europa 2 are definitely luxury lines but are different - mainly in two ways (besides for not being all-inclusive):

1. Almost all passengers speak German - very few people from North America onboard (based solely on what I have read on CC)

2. Families and children are welcome. This is generally not the case with other luxury cruise lines (although they are children programs on some luxury cruise lines during the summer and during U.S. school breaks).

Not saying that they do not deserve the rating but In my opinion, people in different countries have different experiences, and expectations. So, In my opinion, what a travel writer in one country thinks of a cruise line may be different from another travel writer's perspective.

Europa and Europa 2 are definitely luxury lines but are different - mainly in two ways (besides for not being all-inclusive):

1. Almost all passengers speak German - very few people from North America onboard (based solely on what I have read on CC)

2. Families and children are welcome. This is generally not the case with other luxury cruise lines (although they are children programs on some luxury cruise lines during the summer and during U.S. school breaks).

HL ships are DEFINITELY luxury whether they confirm to your American standards or not. The Imperial in Vienna. the Bristol, Crillon and Ritz in Paris, Claridges in London......none confirm to American versions of luxury and thank God for that. There is plenty of beige marble available in Four Seasons hotels (and I know the George V, the Gresham in Budapest and the property in Florence are Four Seasons too but they are the exception, not the rule.)

Have you never travelled independently in Europe and been surrounded by local people speaking their own language?

On the Europa 2, there is an International hostess, menus, and wine lists in English are available, as are announcements and commentaries from the bridge.

Even a daily newspaper of one's choice is obtainable.

As has been mentioned on more than one occasion before, on the Europa 2 children are well catered for, and have minimal impact on adult passengers.

Edited by English Voyager